my form

migangelo

Chapter Presidents
Jun 5, 2010
portland, or
being a drama queen i guess i just had to make my own thread. ;)

today i had my gate evaluated by another student. he's not a coach, a runner, still not a Dr either. he's just someone interested in lifting weights in the most efficient manner and became interested in good running form. he's helped quite a few others with theirs when his main focus is lifting weights.

he had me run around the sidewalk at my pace then a little faster. after that he took me in the gym to lift weights and do some body weights. he showed me what i was doing wrong and how to correct it. once we went through a few moves he had me do some springing. when he saw what he liked he took me into the basketball gym.

in there i did the springing again only this time allowing my body to lean forward. oh, my, god! what a huge difference! i've never felt running so easy. i now know what it means to turn your body into a spring and to use your hip flexors and glutes.

i did squats first. he had me turn my toes out and spread my feet. then bring my butt to my heels while keeping my legs straight. tough but once he showed me i did it easy.

dead lift next. he showed me to engage abs and keep my lumbar straight. next was romanian dead lift. once i got that it was one legged romanian dead lift. all tough but he corrected me and they became easier.

push ups too. i did some one legged jumps with out my arms or swinging my free leg. then i swung my free leg. this was to show me how much the other leg does the work and the glute on the ground keeps you stable and extends the stance leg.

once that was all done i put my hands on my hips to feel my psoas work as i skipped. touching muscles can activate weak or inhibited muscles. all this showed me how to use my psoas to lift my thigh instead of pushing off with my calves, which made them tight. once up i had my stance leg stabilized by my glute and didn't have to think about extending it. it just happened.

i wish or maybe i can talk him into making a you tube video. it took us an hour and a lot of that was just talking philosophies. i'd love to teach everyone the same thing. the best i can do is this description above. he told me a weightlifting book to read but i can't remember more than it being "new rules to weightlifting". sorry.

one other thing i will repeat is he thinks one should be strong before attempting to run. work from your center muscles to your extremities. i didn't say core because it's really more hips. flexors and extensors. plus BL doesn't like it. :playful:

That's awesome! Congrats on the progress!

So these are the techniques that he's teaching you? Great work!
The New Rules of Lifting for Women: Lift Like a Man, Look Like a Goddess
51OPGJZTJuL.jpg

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Did you tell him about your short femur? I am just wondering if he would even thinks it needs consideration.

Reactions: Bryan Harris
sorry to bust your bubble jen, actually, no i'm not! an estimated 90% of people have a leg length difference so you're just being lazy! :stop:

none of it matters. i was telling him my problems and he said it was a movement pattern problem. i need to get stronger first and conquer the pf once and for all. that was it.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test