My first sarcastic comment by a shod person.

Maybe you will get the opportunity...unless he dies of cancer before then. :(

Part of my running route takes me past the town square, which can get pretty busy around lunch time. I'm sure there are people who say things about me, but I usually can't hear due to my headphones. There was a guy the other day outside of one restaurant who I believe said something about not catching cold I think. Ironically he was outside for a smoke (way more harm to his health than BF is to mine). I should have said back "don't get lung cancer".

Oh, with the smokers, I always shake my head and say, "Tsk. Quit smoking." I mean, really? You've got some "fitness tips" for me?

When I was pregnant, the smokers ALWAYS had to tell me that I was hurting the baby. Every once and a while, I'd yell back, "Betcha Can't Catch MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!" and sometimes, they'd try. You know, you'd hate to get outrun by a hugely pregnant girl. But the smokers couldn't catch meeeeeeeeeee!

I've only been running barefoot for two months so I haven't had any sarcastic comments. Something to look foward to I guess.

The only comment so far was "I want to do that."

I need to smoke while I run barefoot ...maybe I'll get some comments! I could claim it cures cancer and anything else that ails ya.

I've had nice comments, mean ones, curious ones and concerned ones.

Earlier this week, I finally had an original one. A neighbor stops me and says, "This is a nice neighborhood. Why don't you put some shoes on?" This is the same lady who makes complaints to the HOA about peoples' yards, noise from weekend parties, nighttime ninjas shooting deer (Texas rats) with bows...that kind of stuff.

I suggested that next time she wanted to talk to me, that she reconsider. I guess I'm bringing down home values...

Reactions: jldeleon
Ha! You could have said, because this IS such a NICE neighborhood I choose to run in it barefoot.

Or, "what exactly does the upscale-ness of the neighborhood have to do with me running with or without shoes?"

Finally, another thread about what people say to us and the sarcastic retorts available.

I had a guy lean out his car window and tell me I was going to get hurt. He had 4 kids easily under 6 -8 years old standing on the back seat. Granted, he was at a stop sign so we wasn't technically driving, until he pulled away.

I'm just shaking my head, Ram. People are stupid. When I've seen that, I've actually yelled to people, "You need to put your baby in a car seat! It's not only the law, but it might help make you a good parent!" I can't believe they have no clue.

pshh patrick. i was racing, well cruising along in a race and a spectator said to me " you're going to catch a cold!"

so i replied " so since you have shoes on you've never gotten sick?"

he just smiled.

Reactions: jldeleon
Got my first one this afternoon. I was running down the street and this lady yells out and says " where the hell are your shoes, are you nuts". This kind of rubbed me the wrong way I stopped and replied to her, "lady, how would you have liked if I was running down the road and yelled at you saying, Jesus lady that is a pretty ugly sweater your wearing". She had no reply and I carried on with my run feeling just a little bit better. Before this comment, just about most other comments have been positive.

I totally understand, and although we always encourage people to be polite, the comments get old after awhile, and we are only human after all. Just know, her problem is not yours.

The other day I was taking a break from running, just standing on the pavement, when I see this pretty, young lady, walking toward me with this absolutely horrified look on her face. I took one step forward to start running again and she gasps, "You aren't running BAREFOOT are you?" And I said, "Yes." And she says, "You are going to hurt your kidneys!" And I replied, "Psssh, that's an old wives tale - you're not an old wife are you?" (I only said this cuz she was obviously young). I chuckled. But she just stood there with the horrified look on her face and said, "Good luck" with this morbid tone that said "You're going to keel over and die any second." Lol.

I have had all the normal comments about getting hurt and doesn't that hurt but my favorite was a conversation I had at my first barefoot race.

An older gentleman caught up to me, looked down and said

Him: Nice shoes
Me: thanks
Him: where did you get them?
Me: mom gave them to me for my birthday

He laughed and said I was looking good and then fell back. With the exception of a few horrified looks before the race started no one said anything about my feet and seeing as I came in 16th overall it was a great inaugural race for me. :)

I have had all the normal comments about getting hurt and doesn't that hurt but my favorite was a conversation I had at my first barefoot race.

An older gentleman caught up to me, looked down and said

Him: Nice shoes
Me: thanks
Him: where did you get them?
Me: mom gave them to me for my birthday

He laughed and said I was looking good and then fell back. With the exception of a few horrified looks before the race started no one said anything about my feet and seeing as I came in 16th overall it was a great inaugural race for me. :)

Good story, excellent run result.

Had a real good one yesterday, was just finishing off my long run with 2 of my running partners. We were sprinting to the finish, when Judy started pulling away. I picked up the pace but had to slow down a bit as I was passing an older lady (must of been at least 80) walking along with a cane. As I passed her, she says, "Your not going to let that girl in shoes beat you now are you?" I almost stopped in my tracks o_O , but I just smiled and kept going. She returned the smile and shouted, "I used to run barefoot all the time when I was younger, have fun and enjoy it." That made my day, and just goes to show you that you can't judge a book by its cover. :)

LOVE THIS! ^^^^

Ohh man I needed to read these. I'm new to the site and BFR.

I had a lady pushing a stroller yell out "I thought I was the only ne who went barefoot"

I turned and running backwards said "shoes are too expensive"

She replied " shoes hurt my feet"

I turned back around and continued on.

Just the other day I was in a local park it was about 40 deg. So I had hat, gloves, tights and BF. a guy who was walking asked "arent your feet cold" I replied "no feels great"

Not counting all the looks I get and I just love it.

PS. I'm a 240lb runner LOL!

This happened just before the start of the Running of The Green 5 mile race. I was warming up and ran by a police officer who was there to control traffic. He yelled to me "do you want me to write up a report on the guy who stole your shoes? I yelled back "thanks but I've got a couple thousand friends and we're going to run him down. Thanks for keeping the cars away".

Reactions: Barefooting Bob