My first sarcastic comment by a shod person.

Prior to the 1960's, bare

Prior to the 1960's, bare feet were a "boy" thing in the U.S.

In the 60's and 70's going barefoot in public became a "girl" thing to do.

Now that bare feet in public have become so rare, it seems to have become gender neutral.

Because I recall so many barefoot girls and so few barefoot guys from my high school and university years, I always thought that my going barefoot might be viewed by others as a feminine trait.

Surprisingly, most see it more as a "tough guy" thing, and very masculine.

Through my years of SBL membership I have made many barefoot friends, including several that have a same sex preference. A few have told me that it is harder for them to be accepted going barefoot in town by other gay men than by women or straight men, partially due to a fairly common "neat & clean" attitude many gays harbor.

Of course it makes no sense to stereotype, but in general I don't believe barefoot guys will be thought of as gay when barefoot out and about, but if wearing foot jewery all bets are off.

After yesterday's race we walked around the associated festival for a while, and I left my red velcro ankle strap used for the D Tag in place even though I had taken the chip off by then.

I noticed a difference in the looks and double-takes than without it, but being with my wife nobody called me anything other than tough.

I have had gay men try to pick me up while shopping barefoot before, but in each case they had a special interest in dirty guy feet.

Since that type of fetish is far more common in men than women, odds are if someone is interested in a guy BECAUSE he is barefoot, it's gonna be another guy, which could make it seem like bare feet are a gay thing even though in reality they are not.

BFWendyBird wrote:I think

BFWendyBird said:
I think with the home freeze stuff you are supposed to shave it down with a razor each time to get the top layers off, ACK! I'm not sure I'd have the huevos to get it done again, it hurt like hell!

Did he/she numb you up first? Did he use cold spray or a needle? How did he remove it exactly? What did it look like after he removed it? I'm trying to recall your other picture you posted about it. I'll let her know what she's in for. I asked her to cut it off. She said "Hell no!" of course. Wouldn't she bleed?

You're just too damn sexy,

You're just too damn sexy, Board.

BB, next time, you have my permission to stomp his ass. I got your back too. I'll be right there with you...in spirit anyway. But go ahead. Be my guest.

no numbing, just freezing

no numbing, just freezing about 3 or 4 times in a row. It doesn't hurt while it is being frozen, it is the thawing out that hurts! As far as that sucker stands out, I'd tell her to file it and when it gets to where it hurts or bleeds, then let it dry out and do it again the next day.

After mine was forzen it probably would have been fine if I hadn't gone for a barefoot run the next day (I ran the day off in VFFs) It turned into a big blood blister and took forever to heal, but it is all better now :)

Just finished reading through

Just finished reading through this thread and realized I didn't need the one I posted on my own earlier today. I deleted it and am reposting here.

I got my first comment (actually a question) when I was out on my run this morning. It feels almost like a badge of honor :cool: One of the rich, older, Southern women that live down the street from me asked as I passed "You need a pair of shoes?" I told her "No, ma'am! They're at home. It's better this way." :) She has seen me a couple of times, and I'm convinced she thinks I'm crazy.

Sherri

fetish4running wrote:I knew

fetish4running said:
I knew you were a tough broad, Wendy!

Hehe, some days more than others. It is all relative though. Today I got a steriod injection into the wrist joint and a big one into my glute. Worth it though, I'll feel much better by tomorrow. Same with the wart, hurt for a bit, but now it is gone :) Sometimes toughing it out for a short while pays off big!

Today I got my first

Today I got my first non-sarcastic comment... something along the lines of 'nice day for a run.' I'm not sure if he didn't notice my bare feet or if we're finally inching towards mainstream (or if he was just being not rude).

today was the day of weird

today was the day of weird looks :) I passed one girl and she looked at me like I just got out of the loony bin, a few soccer moms in suv's looked at me like i was the devil, and others faces looked like they just didnt know what to think. I think it has gotten to the point to where the looks and offhand comments are one of my favorite parts. The best part is i live in a small town so nobody there has heard of Born to Run or any other voice in the barefooting movement, therefore i am just some crazy guy lol.

I drove past a BF runner this

I drove past a BF runner this weekend. I honked the horn in what I intended to be a supportive gesture. A few moments later I realized he might have assumed I was just honking at the crazy BF guy. Oh well. Perhaps the true intent came through? If not, I'm sure he was just having a good run and didn't care. :)

Peace,

Karen

sherrhod wrote:Just finished

sherrhod said:
Just finished reading through this thread and realized I didn't need the one I posted on my own earlier today. I deleted it and am reposting here. Sherri

You were successful in deleted said post? I have had a couple of people say they can't delete their own posts.

sherrhod wrote:I got my first

sherrhod said:
I got my first comment (actually a question) when I was out on my run this morning. It feels almost like a badge of honor :cool: One of the rich, older, Southern women that live down the street from me asked as I passed "You need a pair of shoes?" I told her "No, ma'am! They're at home. It's better this way." :) She has seen me a couple of times, and I'm convinced she thinks I'm crazy. Sherri

Geez, Sher, sounds like she was actually concerned for you. How sweet.

BFWendyBird wrote:Hehe, some

BFWendyBird said:
Hehe, some days more than others. It is all relative though. Today I got a steriod injection into the wrist joint and a big one into my glute. Worth it though, I'll feel much better by tomorrow. Same with the wart, hurt for a bit, but now it is gone :) Sometimes toughing it out for a short while pays off big!

Was that for your RA, Wendy?

barefoot kean wrote:today was

barefoot kean said:
today was the day of weird looks :) I passed one girl and she looked at me like I just got out of the loony bin, a few soccer moms in suv's looked at me like i was the devil, and others faces looked like they just didnt know what to think. I think it has gotten to the point to where the looks and offhand comments are one of my favorite parts. The best part is i live in a small town so nobody there has heard of Born to Run or any other voice in the barefooting movement, therefore i am just some crazy guy lol.

I used to be the town loon too, but then Barefoot Rex came home from war, and now there are two of us.

peacekaren said:
peacekaren said:
peacekaren said:
I drove past a BF runner this weekend. I honked the horn in what I intended to be a supportive gesture. A few moments later I realized he might have assumed I was just honking at the crazy BF guy. Oh well. Perhaps the true intent came through? If not, I'm sure he was just having a good run and didn't care. :) Peace, Karen/quote]

I'm surprised you didn't throw on the brakes and chase him down, Karen. Or maybe you're not crazy like me. ;-)

BFWendyBird

BFWendyBird said:
fetish4running said:
I knew you were a tough broad, Wendy!

Sounds to me like you don't have much of a choice, and I like the choice you've made!

At my last race, a group of

At my last race, a group of guys were running (not in the race) of course all without shirts. One of the guys yelled 'hey, put your shoes on', I just ignored him but should have yelled back 'put your shirt on!"

People always have sumpthin to say, like my Dad says 'f*** 'em if they can't take a joke'

My dad used to always say,

My dad used to always say, "What part of no don't you understand?" We got him a hat that read that; he wore it all the time. Miss him.

Barefoot TJ wrote: Was that

Barefoot TJ said:
Was that for your RA, Wendy?

Yes, stress makes it flare up and this has been a crazy move so far. I'm not sure what is up with the wrist, it may be trying to fuse, need to get it x-rayed again and sign up for OT to see if I can get some range of motion back. I'd love to be able to do push ups again. It is really hard to do any kind of upper body work without using your wrists.

I'm very thankful that I can still run, so I count my blessings and don't let the down sides get to me :-D

My biggest problem today is that I own too much crap! And for a barefoot runner I own WAY to many pairs of shoes, LOL

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts