My first race - flying like a bird

A quick background: I started BFR in June so I am some 4 months into it. I never really ran seriously before in my life and I am still slowly easing into it. Loving it.

So far I have been always running just for fun and have not had any urge to participate in races until yesterday :crazy:

I ran my very first race ever - 10k Run Like Hell Portland! It is a costume optional race and I opted to go Hawaiian. :wink:

8 AM in the morning, 53 F, raining and windy.

From the very start I feel great, relaxed and quite enjoying having so many people around me running after my 4 months of isolation :smile:

I pick up speed right away steadying at my ususal cadence 180 BPM. I start passing people. A lot of people. All in shoes, I only see two or three in Vibrams.

My feet warm up in about 10 minutes and I am running through every single puddle I see. Splashing water everywhere. Jumping. Never felt such a freedom while running before. It si awesome. I wish I can do this forever.

When I sprint to the finish line I do not feel my feet touching the ground. I feel like a bird flying. I pass all five runners before me and hit the line. What a feeling :smile:

My time was 48 minutes (my new PR for 10k) which placed me 7th from 43 in my age division and 81st from 1140 overall.

The best of all, I felt great, my feet feel great, not a single blister and no soreness whatsoever. Just Happy. It must be the adrenaline :lol: Or it must be the running in rain. Or both. :wink:

I am ready to sing up for another race tomorrow (not that here is anything going on right now :smile: ) and I guess I am hooked !

Congratulations... on  your

Congratulations... on your first race!

7th in your age division after just 4 months... not too shabby at all. What ever your doing... keep it up. It's working for you.

S. Pimp.

Mr. Paraganek,  You did

Mr. Paraganek, You did great! Enjoy and carry on. I run my first race in 25 years on Sunday and take inspiration from your success and joy. Thanks!

Well, you ran like hell,

Well, you ran like hell, didn'tcha, Para! Congrats!

Good luck, Joseph! I hope you do well.

Running = DrugRunning

Running = Drug

Running Barefoot = Drug (Acid)

Racing = Drug (cocaine)

Racing Barefoot = Drug (Heroin)

and for some, just running barefoot and happy anywhere, anytime and for any length is enough to never need another drug a day in their lives.

Glad your hooked!!!

Way to go!!

Way to go!!

I think that is 7ish, not

I think that is 7ish, not 8ish minute miles no?

Damn good Paraganak! Congrats! I've been at it for three months and am not feeling a 10K yet. Thanks for the inspiration! I hope to follow your lead sometime soon.

BrunoRuns wrote:Running =

BrunoRuns said:
Running = Drug, Running Barefoot = Drug (Acid), Racing = Drug (cocaine), Racing Barefoot = Drug (Heroin), and for some, just running barefoot and happy anywhere, anytime and for any length is enough to never need another drug a day in their lives. Glad your hooked!!!

Well said Bruno ! :smile:

That's exactly it.

Awesome!  I say this should

Awesome! I say this should be entered in the BRS's virtual Halloween Competition, right guys, since it happened Halloween week?

What I love about that pic is

What I love about that pic is the difference in your form compared to the guy on the left behind you. You're all set for a mid- or forefoot strike; he's all set to heel strike. :)

GREAT race!!

I think the little things

I think the little things around your ankles make you look like your going faster. And that picture is pretty sweet. Yet another advantage of barefoot running, when you take pictures of a barefooter in the air they look like they're flying.

Sick photo!  Love it.  You're

Sick photo! Love it. You're making us look good!

Sick is a good thing these

Sick is a good thing these days, BTW, for those of us who are not of the younger generation to know these things. I will bet that Board knew this though. Hee.

I even remember when I first

I even remember when I first became hip to that slang.

I had been longboard skating for two days at best, when an Outer Banks local kid looked me in the eye and told me how sick my board was. Offended, I glanced at my then 9 & 10 year old sons who were positivly beaming at how cool their dad was.

Oh, I get it, kind of like "bad"?

Yep T.J., having kids later in life does keep you young (at heart).

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts