My first race! A traily, hilly 5 miler.

HairyBeast

Barefooters
Jul 19, 2011
I've been running barefoot since June and inevitably after joining a running club, I just ran my first race! I was warned the course was hilly but nothing really prepared me for 2 laps of this rollercoaster of a course. After arriving and warming up our club was herded to the bottom of a hill and before I knew it the whistle had been blown and everyone shot up, I was keeping to the back to avoid the flurry of running spikes that were tearing at the ground. I eventually got to the top of the hill and the next part of the course - three or four hills that were already being conquered by the elite. The trails were mostly grass or worn down into hard earth but to my delight I saw no gravel.

I noticed my quads were already beginning to fatigue halfway around the first lap, which left me wondering whether the bent knee stance causes me to work on hills, something I may to experiment with. Soon I was climbing another hill into a wooded area which as we all know means acorns, I bent my knees more and was careful where I placed my feet and managed to get through with minimal pain, and onto a gravelly road.

"Caballo blanco!", someone called from behind me. He caught up and we discussed born to run, and how he had been told not to run by his podiatrist in the past, starting to run again when he read the book. It's a familiar story to a lot of us and I asked him whether he had ever considered taking the final step to running barefoot. I kept on having to fly past him down hills and wait for him to catch up and continue our conversation, before one massive hill near the end of the first lap I pointed him in the direction of the BRS. Going Dow. This hill I felt a little out of control and felt I couldn't quite get my legs moving fast enough underneath me, my landings weren't my gentlest so I was glad when the terrain flattened out and I could rest. Soon the first lap was over and after a flat section I even felt my legs had recovered. I was soon proved wrong by that first large hill.

The next lap was painful, my quads were aching continually, though my cardiovascular fitness seemed ok, it really was my legs fatiguing that was holding me back. I noticed that when crossing a hill my right foot didn't have the flexibility to lie flat on the sloping ground, ny ankle on that side certainly feels less flexible. I just about made it round the second time and was passed by the guy I had been talking to. I felt even more out of control on the last hill the second time round, but had just enough energy left to sprint the last 50 metres or so and beat my running buddy to the finish line. Turns out he didn't hear me behind him!

Overall, despite aching like crazy and feeling quite ill shortly after the finish, I really enjoyed myself. I placed 3rd last out of just over a hundred runners, but I am glad I took part and it has opened my eyes to what I need to work on. This has turned into a bit of a novel, but thanks for everyone's support!

Good memories for you!  You

Good memories for you! You were 1st winner of the Barefoot Runner Division, and that's mega cool, in my book! ;-) Congrats on finishing your first race!

Thanks guys!Daniel your blog

Thanks guys!

Daniel your blog is great! I noticed that you have some very rocky downhill sections on the trails you run on, how do you deal with a slope that demands a high speed combined with a surface that requires very gentle running?

I am definitely going to go back to the course and try running some of the more challenging sections to train for some of the harsher terrain, living in a big city like London it's all pretty smooth and friendly around here unfortunely.

HairyBeast wrote:I noticed

HairyBeast said:
I noticed that you have some very rocky downhill sections on the trails you run on, how do you deal with a slope that demands a high speed combined with a surface that requires very gentle running?

Those rocky downhill sections are always a tough call.

I just do the best I can, I lean forward and leave my arms slightly behind my body just like I was going to fall down the hill, my body perpendicular to the ground and run down with extremely short strides and hellish cadence. If I keep my legs and feet relaxed they do not get hurt on those rocks.

A good thread about running downhill also here.

My last race was a Trail

My last race was a Trail 10K with some stretches of viscious rocks - like the size of ducks and geese as well as the usual bitty ones. I was pleasantly suprised at how well my form relaxed into the running and the downhills got to be fast and reasonably graceful for me. It's just time in action, I think.

At 4 months of BF running I was nowhere near ready for a trail run barefoot, so I'm deeply impressed by your perfromance. (I've been doing my BF / Min running since May, 2010, and have been running 95% BF since last spring.)

I still am not up to running the trails I see come up as race venues BF. My feet would end up as hamburger, or mince, as you might say. For races I still fall back on my VFF Bikilas, and am happy to do it.

So good for you on your first BF race. You did a marvelous job!

Thanks for the advice Daniel,

Thanks for the advice Daniel, I'll have to try it out next time i'm in a hilly area. Unfortunately it's pretty flat where I live unless I want to take the train somewhere to go for a run, which I don't.

JT, I think it will come together with a bit more experience, I'm starting to think that perhaps I was heel striking on some of the downhill bits; my left ankle doesn't feel right this week, even walking on it is pretty uncomfortable. So it's probably true that I wasn't ready at 4 months either! I am pretty frustrated with it and I'll probably have to take a few weeks off to recover. I'm starting to feel the withdrawal symptoms already...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS