My first barefoot 5K!

Barefoot Brown

Barefooters
Apr 14, 2011
Des Moines
IMAG0262-1.jpg

I did it! I took everyones advice and dropped from the 20K, to the 5K. I carried my Merrells along with me, but never put them on. The most I have ran barefoot prior to the race was 20 min, so I wasn't sure if I would be able to do the whole thing, but my form must be getting better, because I felt great! I really wish I would have had a Barefoot Runners Society shirt. I keep procrastinating. It would have been a good day to show it off too. There were 2550 finishers! I ran a 10:20 pace which I was pretty happy with, considering I was pretty crunched the entire race. I can't wait to do my next one, and I will be sure to post pics... with my BRS shirt on!!

YES! CONGRATS! brother. very

YES! CONGRATS! brother. very excited for you. keep on keeping on cant wait to see the pics.

Oh yeah... I saw one barefoot

Oh yeah... I saw one barefoot runner at the 20K finish, and I was the only one, at least that I saw during the 5K. Makes me sad that more people aren't open to this wonderful sport. :(

Great job today, finished a 5

Great job today, finished a 5 km race today as well. A PB with a 26:30 time, a +1:00 minute improvement for me bare and over 2:30 improvement over my best VFF finish.

Felt so great I turned around and did another 5 km right after.

Congrats Sir Brown!  I am

Congrats Sir Brown! I am mega proud of you, mostly for choosing to use the brain God gave you to go along with the feet and choosing the 5K over the 20K. Not a bad finish time too, considering it was your first. Way to rock it!

Good job, Bob! I finished another barefoot race (this one a 5K) this past Saturday (not yesterday) at a 9:20 pace, my fastest yet. I'm so not about speed, but I felt good enough to just go ahead and give it a good try. I ran with my running club yesterday (a very, very hilly 3.6 mile loop) at a 9:39 pace. Seems when I run with people who want to run fast, I run fast. :) Not bad for this turtle!

Right on TJ, and a turtle you

Right on TJ, and a turtle you are not.

I must agree with TJ is is

I must agree with TJ is is better to finish a race and think "I did it, with a bit to spare in the tank" rather than go for the toughest option and not finish.

All my races have been short until build confidence. My longest road race has been 10km. I have done a road and trail 16km.

So, when I get back to spring and summer again I'll push my distance up to 15km. Next year I'll go to the 1/2 marathon.

The big one would be well over a year away. No rush.

Neil