My first 100k - Born To Run Ultra Marathon

Wow, so much for the Maff method!
It's funny, hearing of your successful race coincides with my decision this week to try a whole week of just hill running everyday, about 30-40 minutes each day. I'm on my third day (just got back from a run) and if feels good. Screw the orthodoxies, I say! Next week who knows what kind of runs I'll do.
Lee Glad to hear you made a decision on your training. I personally love hill training. Seems it doesn't take long and pretty soon you're flying by people that maybe can beat you in the flats or downhill. The problem with hills for me is the downhill side, I've got a stroller that I run with most days of the week and you cannot run with great form while keeping the stroller in control while going downhill, so naturally now I suck at downhills. I think I am gong to start trying to run one day a week (weekend) without the stroller and just practice going downhills. Gentile, don't you run a lot with a stroller? Any tips for downhills?

Lee Glad to hear you made a decision on your training. I personally love hill training. Seems it doesn't take long and pretty soon you're flying by people that maybe can beat you in the flats or downhill. The problem with hills for me is the downhill side, I've got a stroller that I run with most days of the week and you cannot run with great form while keeping the stroller in control while going downhill, so naturally now I suck at downhills. I think I am gong to start trying to run one day a week (weekend) without the stroller and just practice going downhills. Gentile, don't you run a lot with a stroller? Any tips for downhills?

Nick, the circuit I run is approximately 1 part up and 3 parts down: Up a steep hill and then around the block, left, left, left, and left until I'm running up the hill again. So the downhill is pretty gentle. I tried it with a jogging stroller, but I don't like the way my arms can't counter my legs, although I like the idea of getting a little extra resistance going up. I'm thinking of selling the jogging stroller already.

But no decision on training past this week has been made. Right now I'm experimenting with . . . wait a minute, I think I'll try my first post.

Nick, the circuit I run is approximately 1 part up and 3 parts down: Up a steep hill and then around the block, left, left, left, and left until I'm running up the hill again. So the downhill is pretty gentle. I tried it with a jogging stroller, but I don't like the way my arms can't counter my legs, although I like the idea of getting a little extra resistance going up. I'm thinking of selling the jogging stroller already.

But no decision on training past this week has been made. Right now I'm experimenting with . . . wait a minute, I think I'll try my first post.
I would love to run without the jogging stroller, but unfortunately as it is right now if I didn't run with the stroller I would maybe only be able to run once a week.

Great report Zap and real inspiration for my first ultra in about 5 weeks now. I feel a sense of confidence returning the more I read about what others are doing.

Main thing was, it sounds like you had a ball.

Reactions: zapmamak

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test