My fastest barefoot run, so far.

Barefoot Gentile

Barefooters
Apr 5, 2010
Fairfield, CT
I ran 4.3 miles this morning in 34:08 with a 7:57 pace. The last stretch of the course is a 1/4 mile of steep uphill, my lungs were getting a nice workout as well.

Really exciting to see my speed matching when I ran shod! Happy Memorial Day everyone! Off to the parade, a bbq and some cold beer!

Someone posted here yesterday

Someone posted here yesterday worried about if they would be able to get their speed back. You are testiment to that. It's strange how it happens, but when it happens, you feel awesome. Congrats, Adam!

Nice time, Adam! Happy

Nice time, Adam! Happy Memorial Day to you and yours as well. Hope it is a good one.

You all have way more

You all have way more experience than me so maybe you can give me some pointers. I guess I thought that going BF would help me increase my pace so I haven't cut back on pace at all since I've been BF- just distance in an attempt to try to get my feet adjusted to being bare. So far, so good. I don't have any complaints. In fact, today when I was doing a run I was really cocentrating on my cadence and I feel like when I pick up my cadence- my speed picks up a bit- and oddly enough the run seems easier?? Is this normal? I also noticed that the ball of my left foot was possibly on the verge of developing a blister around 2.5 miles so I pulled back and slowed down my pace to finish out to 3. Should I have just stopped when I felt that sensation or is that normal? Fortunately, no blister. I've been lucky in the past and have only had a blister once when shod so I don't have a lot of experience with them so I may be wrong in thinking that was what could have been coming on. Is it normal to feel a little burn on the balls of your feet? Also, am I bound to get blisters or if you transition slow enough- can you avoid them? I'm just kind of guessing from reading the forums here that blisters will happen when you get your mileage up enough almost regardless- particularly with increased speed? Is this a correct assumption?

I honestly think you don't

I honestly think you don't need any pointers, you seem to be doing great! I think that is awesome that your pace didn't change going to barefoot. But I can add just a few personal tips.

If you think a blister was starting to form on the ball of your foot, I would say that you might be pushing off more than lifting the foot. You cadence is supposed to increase when running barefoot. Yes you can blisters from time to time, but usually those blisters are telling you something.

For me I had to gain my speed back because I was concentrating more on proper form, once I got my form down, then I started to increase speed. I really do not get blisters anymore, my longest barefoot run has been 13 miles and my feet were fine. Many people run marathons barefoot without a blemish after. It really comes down to maintaining good form.

Like Adam said, a blister

Like Adam said, a blister coming on means you are doing something wrong. Continuing to run isn't all bad though. If you can adjust what you are doing so it doesn't keep hurting, then you have learned from it. We are all different, I had to basically relearn my form for each speed increase, but at that point I was running at speeds I had never run before. Good job on maintaining speed! Although, I think if nothing is slowing you down, you are running on too easy of surfaces and need to challenge yourself a bit more. Find some gravel or rough pavement, it will fine tune your form real fast.

Thanks Adam and Wendy.  I

Thanks Adam and Wendy. I definitely should focus more on form. It just seems like the more I focus on form- the faster I go so that makes me wonder if I'm doing things correctly. When I'm counting steps per minute I can tell that I pick up my foot much better and land more softly than when I'm not counting. So counting is good for my form and I'm doing that a lot right now. I suppose eventually I won't have to do that and it will all be instinctive. I can definitely feel the fine tuning when something starts to smart so that's good. Wendy- you are right- Maybe I need to get out into rougher terrain and give that a shot. I know gravel would slow me down. However, I'm not a trail runner- at least not currently. I pretty much stick to the road and and then do races that are on roads as well. So, if that's all I do- I'm not sure why I would make myself run through gravel? Would that really fine tune my form- even if it's terrain I'll likely never encounter? I have done one trail run but it was in shoes. It wasn't very rocky but it was muddy. What's it like running BF in the mud? Is it easy to get traction? I found running down the hills in the mud was difficult in shoes and even when I was running it I was curious if it would be harder or easier BF.

Yes, running on gravel

Yes, running on gravel will help you even if you don't plan to run on it in your normal running routes. Sort of like anything else where you exaggerate at first in order to come back to the best way of doing it. The best is if you find a gravel stretch of driveway, service road, or something like that with lots and lots of gravel so you can't pick your way around the rocks.

Running barefoot in the mud is AWESOME! And feet are SO much easier to clean than shoes
partytime.gif

Thanks Wendy.  I just got

Thanks Wendy. I just got back from a run where I ventured off the pavement and it was hard! :shock: I was also pushing my triplets which didn't help matters (I try to avoid pushing a stroller at all costs)- not to mention running with my husband who I typically can keep up with if not surpass- but not this time. Obviously, pride plays a part in my outlook. I couldn't even finish out a full 3 miles. I got to 2.2 and gave up. My feet were smarting something fierce. Guess they aren't as tough as I thought they were. I even stopped and walked some in that 2.2 but found that walking wasn't any easier on the piggies and at least if I ran- I'd get done quicker.

What's everyone's take on barefooting/minimalist on a treadmill? We just joined the Y and I'm taking advantage of the childcare option and doing some runs there. Of course, I have to wear shoes at the Y and my first minimalist purchase was the Evo. I like them. They feel really similar to being bare with the insole out as far as I can tell. Of course, I don't get any heat off the treadmill that way which is nice. But I was curious if this would hurt my form- running in shoes during transition as well as it being on the flat even terrain of the treadmill? I like that I'm not distracted on the treadmill as it's so monotonous I can count my cadence easily. I don't listen to music while I run or watch TV- much to my chagrin. I just can't get earphones to stay in my ears.

I did the early part of my

I did the early part of my transistion on the treadmill, as it was still winter. It was a little tricky to keep a good form and not blister my toes. It was like running on sandpaper. I started wearing just socks on the mill and all was fine. It didn't seem to hurt my form, but be aware that treadmill form isn't quite the same as being on the road.

Thanks Wendy and Dirt.  I'll

Thanks Wendy and Dirt. I'll try and stick with the roads and bare as much as possible. Save my treadmill time for when I can't get a run in otherwise.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts