My 1 Year Anniversary Run!

My 1 Year Anniversary Run!
By Tristan-OH

So its my 1 year anniversary for running barefoot. I don't have the exact date, but it was about this time. I started walking barefoot a couple weeks before running, and that was at the end of August of '11. First barefoot run was about this time in September '11. My last shod race was Sept 17 2011, after that race I never ran in cushioned shoes again. That race is fast approaching and I'll see what I can pull off barefoot.

Anyhow to celebrate the event I decided to just go out for a long run on a trail I wanted to run back in my shod days but never imagined I could do the whole thing. Well I did the whole things, and it is a distance record for me currently, breaking the half I did a month ago by a few tenths. Last year, shod, 6 miles was a long run for me and 8 was the most I had ever done. Either of these often left me with pains for days. The half marathon in August left me in a bit of pain as well, and a couple weeks later getting the mileage back up to around 12 miles left me just a little sore for a day or two as well. But yesterdays 13.5 mile run / 13.5 bike left me feeling just great today! Its amazing to be able to experience your body adapting to these new distances. I know this isnt much compared to most of you all but like I said about 6-8mi was as far as I ever went shod.

So I brought my camera along for once and took some pics since it was a special day for me. This isnt a spectacular trail run in the wilderness unfortunately but a nice rail to trail run across some nice Ohio countryside and passing through some towns.
Lots of pics to come! Click for bigger ones.​

The Kokosing Gap Trail. 13.5 mile reclaimed railway, in Knox county Ohio. It starts in Mt Vernon, passes through Gambier and Howard and ends in Danville. It has a few unique features, it is the only known paved rails to trail park in America that is maintained by only contributions and the help of volunteers. Also it is a watertrail, it follows the Kokosing River for a ways and has a few road/trail/river access points.​
Here is the first crossing of the Kokosing. Unfortunately its about the lowest its even been, and more stagnant than ever. It really is a nice river for Ohio though, and I've paddled it a few times.​
Another bridge over the Kokosing River.​
Part of Kenyon College in Gambier (the Browns Family Environmental Center I think?). And a small bridge of the trail leads to a nice butterfly garden with water features. There are a few more side trails in the area too I have not explored.​
Also in Gambier, a cosmetically restored 1940s-era ALCO 0-6-0 steam locomotive, tender, and caboose. I love old steam locomotives, and #63 doesn't disappoint.​
And at about mile 9 we come into the town of Howard, where you'll find a playground, restroom, and water fountain. Perfect timing to refill my bottles. I avoided the temptation of the ice cream shop about a minute or two walk in town. Also a neat stone bridge/tunnel. Route 36 passes overhead, and I never realized this was down here. From up top, that red building looks like a single story building alongside the road. Its actually 4 stories!​
Just pass Howard is the Hellbender Preserve which has another side trail. I'll have to explore that one another time. And a few more crossings of an unknown stream.​
Past Howard becomes farm country. I love the antique tractors that are still in hard use out here. The path takes you by dairy farms, pastures, fields, horses. You'll also start seeing Amish out this way.​
And finally, the end of the path after my longest run ever. Its really nicely done for such a middle of nowhere town. A nice bench with overhead lattice and flowers and water fountain. I stashed my bike here earlier, so after a quick break and water bottle refill it's time to retrace the route but this time on bike.​
And back to the start again. All finished now, 27 miles later. Here is my mountain bike and my old beater truck. I really need to get a road bike!​
And thanks to everyone here for helping me along the way. Perhaps in another year I'll be able to run the trail and back for 27 miles without needing the bike! We'll see! And to the mods, I was undecided what forum suited this best so I put it in general. Feel free to move if you think another one is more suitable.​

Congrats, Tristan! You've made the cover!

Not me. This is Tristan's report. I just post the stuff.

Well I do like to take lots of pictures! Just wish they featured more runners and such and not just scenery! Just wait until I actually start doing a lot of races ha! Speaking of which I did a race today... and took lots of pictures (of the fair afterward, not the race :confused:).

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts