Morton's Neuroma

Bea

Barefooters
Feb 12, 2016
So it's official. I have proof (via MRI) of the Morton's Neuroma I was told I "probably" had 3 years ago. For these 3 years I've been mostly successful at keeping it under control by wearing HAPAD metatarsal pads inside of my VFFs with only occasional numbness in my toes. But while amping up my mileage over Christmas for my marathon training I had a really bad flare up (I thought I broke my foot!) that sent me back to the orthopedist.

Resting it for about a month helped some, but not a ton, so the doc gave me a cortisone injection in the neuroma a couple of weeks ago. That's helping, but my understanding is that (at best) the cortisone is a temporary measure and that those shots can do harm themselves. This orthopedist isn't really supportive of my running ("Humans aren't built to run 1K+ miles per year"), and actively dislikes the VFFs and other minimalist footwear, so I feel like he's not exactly someone I trust to give me advice on how to get back to the running that I love.

Hence, why I'm here...

This weekend I did my longest run since the flare-up (10 miles), but it was all on the beach to minimize impact. I also ordered a pair of Skora Phase shoes to try and see if those have enough cushioning while still being flexible and with zero drop to get me back to running on asphalt and sidewalk which is where I do 50-75% of my mileage.

Am I going down the right road with trying to manage the neuroma while still running in as minimalist footwear as I can manage? Is there something else you might recommend?

Thanks!

In my experience, mortons neuroma is a symptom of problems in the calves, and core, not just in the toes. Orthotics can help by separating the joints, but good soft tissue work on the bottom of the foot and calf is priceless. Foot drills may help as well (http://www.backfixer1.com/?s=foot+drills)

A good sports chiropractor who uses myofascial release can be priceless in evaluating and treating the condition. Looking at the feet, without considering the core and other parts of your gait system is a mistake, since you are just looking at where it hurts, and classifying the condition, vs understanding why it hurts, how you are walking, etc.

Hope that helps