picture-12528.jpg

Date Reviewed: 11/12/2011
Review Type: Trail
Barefoot Friendliness: 5 Poor

Topsail Hill State Park Preserve
7525 W. Co. Hwy. 30-A
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
See map: Google Maps

Don't go out here! Especially do not go out here barefoot. Minimal shoes aren't much better. I don't even like to go out on this trail in boots. For starters the beginning of the trail has very tall grass, like up to my thighs. I like snakes but even I am leery about wading through the grass. Then, after you cross the board walk through the wetland, the trail is 100% pure quartz sand, which has a similar consistency to confectionary sugar and is awful to walk in unless you are a masochist. There are LOTS of nettles and sand spurs. The only possible reason to want to go out here is the fact that the area was used for missile development during WWII and there are still some remnants of the tracks for the rockets. Otherwise: if you want sand go down the Tram Trail to the beach and walk or run in the sand to the park boundaries or beyond. Not worth the long walk! I only go out here like 2-3 times a year and then I remember why I don't like this trail! If you don't believe me and still want to go out onto this trail bring a lot of water and be prepared to do a difficult self-rescue if you hurt yourself.

Please remember that this is Florida and there are venomous snakes, chiggers, fleas, ticks, sand spurs, fire ants, prickly pear, venomous spiders, Africanized honey bees, scorpions, alligators, sting rays, sharks, jellies, etc. Presently there is a $6 park entry fee for cars. It may be less for cyclists or runners, but I am not sure so call (850) 267-0299 to find out. I think you may be able to get in for half price an hour before sunset, but again not sure.

I took some liberties with this map to show the main trail. I got it from here: http://www.visitsouthwalton.com/Travel-Brochures . It's "A Guide to Hiking and Biking".

Download the PDF if you want to see the rest of the trails.
trailmap.jpg

bikilas.jpg

My Bikilas resting on the bench near the beginning of this trail. I seldom venture past the bench and I only go out on that trail if I am already on that side of the park, that is how much I do not like this trail!
3bucks.jpg

Wildlife as seen from the boardwalk...
DSC02955.jpg

Another shot of the wildlife and a view of Morris Lake.
DSC02951.jpg

View from the boardwalk. I have gone past the boardwalk into the dune trail all of twice and deeply regretted it. This is generally what the trail looks like though. That awful condo in the distance is near where they hold the Destin 50 Ultra in case you might be curious.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test