Monster Dash in Saint Paul

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by TD Moose, Sep 17, 2014.

1. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

The Minnesota Monster is coming (http://www.minnesotamonster.org/). The half marathon and 10-mile races will start and end near the Cathedral of Saint Paul, and both include beautiful stretches along the river parkway and Shepard Road.

There will be plenty of Halloween costumes to keep you amused during the race. It's amazing that some can manage to wear their costumes for the entire race. Some make me tired to just think about wearing them for a block or two, much less, an entire 10-13 plus mile race.

I'll be there, trying to set a personal record from about two years ago. So far, I've managed to do this race barefoot every year. I have brought shoes each year, because the temps at the start time have been just below freezing. However, I've always made a last minute decision to ditch them. I hope to do so again this year.

paulbeales, Barefoot TJ and Bare Lee like this.
  2. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Good luck Moose!

I ran that course last summer, just for fun, and it is indeed very beautiful.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Wooot! Down to the last day before the race. Weather should be perfect. Sunny and temps around 50 F. Anyone else sign up for this one recently?

4. Kyrrinstoch

Kyrrinstoch
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I didn't sign up, as i'm not quite up fr those distaces yet and have work on the house i need to get done before it gets too cold :(

let us know how ot goes and try to share some pics if you can get any!

5. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Yah, maybe next year. My wife has prohibited any thought of races since the Boston bombing, but it would be fun to turn out en masse.

6. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

ugh. The terrorists win when we act that way.

7. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Yep, but it's not worth stressing my baby out.
    And they might not have even been terrorists.
    Let us know how it went. What was your costume?

8. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

No costume other than normal scary visage. :) It was a great day for a run, and I'm happy to report that my two year quest for a PR in a half marathon ended today. Of course, that just means I have a new bar to go over. I decided to go without a watch and just run my best effort. I was pretty sure that my worries of a hamstring injury would keep me from running my best. When I crossed the line, I forgot to look at the clock until about a minute later. It was about 5 or 6 minutes over the time I was hoping for. However, I forgot that because of the largest ever crowd, and my penchant for starting at the back of the pack, it took over 6 minutes to get to the starting line. So, convinced it was just another year of close-but-no-cigar, I just enjoyed the weather and watching the other finishers in their costumes. It wasn't until a couple of hours later that I checked my time and saw that I had 1:40:55. I had beaten my old record by over a minute. Woot! Not bad for an old fart with no shoes.

Bare Lee and DNEchris like this.
  9. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Nice time Moose! I'd be happy just to clear two hours someday.

10. scedastic

scedastic
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Michigan
    2. Minnesota

Don't listen to what the others say.
    Just be thankful someone loves you that much that you have to worry about overprotectiveness.
    Someday she may be shopping for that top notch nursing home for you, not flippantly picking the cheapest. ;)

11. Bare Lee

Bare Lee
    Expand Collapse
    Chapter Presidents
    1. Minnesota
    2. Presidents

Wha? I thought the whole idea of marrying someone younger was to avoid the old folks home. Everyone in my family lives into their nineties, so I'm counting on it. If they try to put me into a home, I'll skip town on a flight to Brazil, teach English on the beach or something.

The overprotectiveness thing can get out of hand. Our poor son is constantly being told to be careful, watch out, get back/down/off.

For me, I guess it's a convenient excuse not to race. I had never thought of racing until I joined BRS, but it's fun hearing about others' adventures.

scedastic likes this.