Mole skin or athletic tape?

Jonny00GT

Chapter Presidents
May 19, 2011
Would one of these be good to expediate aclimation to BFRing?

The few times I've run barefoot, it seems like I get big blisters right about the time I feel like I'm learning something about my form and want to keep going to try and adjust. Then by the time I've healed, I've forgotten what the corrections felt like and I'm starting over again.

I thought I could apply some tape, go for a run and see if there are any scuffs or rips. I think it would also be more slippery, which could give me clues to where my form needs adjusting. Then, once I feel I've got it down, I could go full on barefoot and just keep the tape with me for emergencies. I saw the guy running accross the US for homeless children use mole skin in an area where the surface kept getting into his feet.

Thoughts?

-Jonny

PS: Guess I'll give it a try tonight and let y'all know how it goes...

Both options are going to

Both options are going to reduce the feedback you get from your feet that would provide the information you need to learn how to do it properly. Not only that, but they are going to break down at a rate and for reasons that have nothing to do with good or bad form. I would recommend neither.

If you're getting to the point where you're getting big blisters on your feet, there were several minutes beforehand during your run where your feet were experiencing discomfort and therefore trying to tell you something. Those are the sensations you need to be paying attention to, not the aftermath of destruction you cause a particular product you apply to your feet. Focus on feeling comfortable during your footfall and release.

By the way, where are your blisters located. Their locations are the most telling signs of what you're doing wrong.

I like what SP says.  It's

I like what SP says. It's best to learn proper barefoot running form before adding in the aids (and footwear). The tape will probably just bind and roll up anyway, and when you go to pull it off, it could potentially pull your skin with it. You'll eventually get over the blistering, so just continue on like you have been doing. You'll be fine.

The blisters were on my big

The blisters were on my big toes(a little), the ball of my feet (deep) and the blade just before they turn up the the arch(barely on the right, mostly on the left and deep), so behind the pinky toe knuckle pad...thingy. I think part of my problem is I was trying to match speed with the ground to "land" rather than 'strike", but I was not paying attention to the lift off.(a lot to keep track of) I was pushing off with my toes and pushing my knees forward/up, rather than in a bicyle motion/up and lifting off. I didn't think I had enough lean, either. At least this is what I'm thinking. Any feed back, would be great!

The blisters on the outside of my feet have me baffled. Those are the ones I think may be from torqing/twisting my feet off the ground rather than smooth lifting or I may be landing too far on the blade of my foot and rolling to the big toe...IDK. Should I be landing on the 4th knuckle first, or flat on the balls of my feet, toes slightly curled up before letting my toes and heal down?(I don't recall what Ken Bob says)

I played a lot of high school sports...I know better than to pull off athletic tape. We use to put that on the spots our football pads would chaffe or "rug burns" from the grass. It would heal and the tape would fall off, eventually. I know what y'all are saying, and it makes sense. My thought process was, thin tape has gotta give more feed back than 4mm sole VFFs, right? If the tape balls up, I'm doing it wrong, yeah?

So, I'll try going bare tonight and see how it goes. It would just be nicer to run with a small roll of tape than holding 2 VFFs! Something about having to stop in the middle bugs me, too.

I'm thinking I should imagine I'm running on ice. Anything I do that would cause me to slip, is bad. Does this sound about right??

Thanks for all the mentoring! This is crazy fun, but it's also tough to figure out from a book and some clips. I know what it should look like, but not quite how it should feel, just yet.

-Jonny

That's the point, Jonny. 

That's the point, Jonny. Listen to your body first, learn from it the best you can, then seek pointers from others on polishing your technique. If you were to see me run, I would probably look a bit funky sometimes, due to the neuroma pain in my feet and toes. But it's a stride that works for me in that it feels right, and I am not getting injured by it.

You'll soon figure out what is causing the blistering. People can give you hints, but you'll need to feel it for yourself in order to correct it.

Do you run with music? If so, please put the music aside until after you've developed a good, safe form.

Also, as a security blanket, have you thought about strapping your VFFs to an athletic belt or hook around your waist? Once you do that, you can practically forget they are even there; whereas, if you carry them in your hands, you will always feel their presence.

When folks tell me what they

When folks tell me what they think is wrong with their form, I tell them essentially what TJ said. If you're thinking about your form that much, you're not thinking about the most important thing, which is to relax and feel good. What that means is that instead of focusing on "matching your speed to land and not focusing on the lift off" and something else you said about bicycling up and down, focus on your foot feeling good when it hits the ground, and still feeling good when it leaves. The rest will take care of itself.

Seriously....it's that simple. You're in your head waaaaaay too much.

And read this: http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/2011/04/first-and-only-rule-of-good-barefoot.html

And also this: http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/2011/04/propriocepation-ie-that-barefoot.html

These posts are pretty much what I just said, just in more depth.

Overthinking it sure sounds

Overthinking it sure sounds like me! haha I will try to get out of my head. My last few runs I've been thinking "relax", cause I do tense my shoulders and do the Tyranasourus arms! Trying to let them droop and keep my shoulders loose, hips, calves, etc. In other words...over thinking it! Ok...so tonight I will relax and feel...trying not to think.

No, no music. I ditched it last week and enjoy my runs more! I do have a belt and my VFFs have the straps, so I'll give the belt idea a shot. Also means no water bottle in my hands, which I also like!

I'll let y'all know how it goes tonight!

Thanks again for the tips!

-Jonny

Like other wise bfr already

Like other wise bfr already wrote, i would say no tape. Just patience.

If you are in a hurry to learn find yourself a good gravel patch and run over a few yards at a time. Your feet will not blister (only very temporary pain while you do it) but you will learn to not push off, to pick up your feet and to relax. You will think you look ridiculous but who cares.

At least once a week go for a run without thinking of your form at all, just run. The first time I did that I made huge progress but more important: it was the most enjoyable run I had had so far.

(at the risk of running over

(at the risk of running over the same old ground, conversationally, again)

I got my share of form-revealing blisters in the beginning and just waited until they healed "enough" before running again. I thought about taping up, but decided against it on principle. Same reason I ditched the music, too (and I'm a musician, so that was a heavy decision). And the clothes except for little shorts... I'm as close to naked running through town as possible. I'm trying to find some flesh colored shorts just for fun.

I opted to force myself, forcibly, to obey a never-more-frequently-than-every-other-day policy. While this sucks in ways, it's served me well so far. I'm up to 5.5mi on concrete (6.5mi on sand) with minimal callus/blister action and nothing remotely close to sidelining me. The soreness/blisters eventually just go away with good form and time... skip the tape.

Well, y'all were right!  I

Well, y'all were right! I stopped annalizing and just ran. Clipped my shoes on my belt, 2 samll water bottles and took of at 5am this morning. I did 5 miles with no major complaints! I stayed loose, relaxed, listened to my feet and just enjoyed the run!

The only thing I noticed was, my right achillies was still tight from the race Sat, running up on the grass, curbs and passing people up on my toes for the first half of the race, and my right foot wouldn't fully...what's the word..."flop"?? I had to bend my knees way down and just focus on relazing as I could FEEL my heal sliding back by mile 3, but after 5 miles, it only wore some of the skin down. No new blisters anywhere else!

No more 5ks with shoes on!! Woohoo!! Felt so good! My feet started to get a little tender by the end, so still a little work to do on my form, but not bad for all sidewalk and only my 3rd run barefoot!!

I passed one guy who was walking...guess he didn't hear me coming cause he about jumped out of his skin! He said,"Whoa...you scared me!" I said, "Sorry! Got my quiet shoes on today!" He chuckled and said,"Oh...yeah, you do!"

So, to date, I've run 1.8miles with no shoes for my first run. Lots of blisters and my feet were burning by the time I threw my VFFs on. That was focuing really hard on my form and forcing it.

Then a week later, a .8mile run and really rough concrete that kicked my butt! Worse blisters in shorter period of time, still forcing the form.

Today, 5 miles, listening to my feet and one spot on my right heal with a couple layers of skin worn down, maybe the size of half a dime. A little newskin and lotion the puppies up...all good!!!

I think the day or 2 off, is a good idea...see how they feel then.

Thanks again to the wise and learned who chimed in!!

-Jonny

PS: Oh yeah...forgot my bandaids, so the nips are real sore! LOL!

See there?  You're getting

See there? You're getting it. Listen to yourself first.

EricsLearning wrote:Bandaids

EricsLearning said:
Bandaids work to protect nips of just get a tighter shirt. Its caused by friction of the shirt moving so just reduce the friction.

Yeah, I just forgot the bandaids. It was early and I was honestly a little out of it.

-Jonny

To date, my worst blisters

To date, my worst blisters were when I wore my VFF's last week. I'm strictly barefoot now....no matter what! I had a small 1/8mi patch of dirt/gravel this morning that was agony on my newly healed feet, but I made it. Just have to slow down and not care too much about looking like a tool! :)

Another 5 miles BFR today!

Another 5 miles BFR today! Only blister this time is an itty bitty one about 6mmx3mm, very flat at the front edge of the ball of my foot inline with my 3rd toe on my right foot. Bending my knees and a good calf stretch the last few days lostened up my right foot flop and there were no issues with my heals this time!

I think I'm getting the hang of this thing!

5 miles on a cool morning, chatting and laughing with your best friend...what's better than that? Hm...6 miles???

-Jonny

sloutre wrote:Your

sloutre said:
Your progression is really fast! It's nice you had a cool morning and a good time.

Thanks, I'm totally shocked! After my first 2 tries, I thought for sure I'd have to start with 1/2 miles and work my way up. I didn't do things the correct way...I started in VFFs. That seemed to let me get my form close, bu not quite. I guess working through the top of the foot pain and bottom of the foot muscle soreness, tight calves, etc did me some good as far as the mileage I'm up to already, but I think my form would be better and I'd be running further with tougher soles if I'd started barefoot. The bottom of my feet could have been healing and getting tougher at the same time as my muscles...now I've done one and working on the other. Oh well...the fun is in the journey, right?

I gotta enjoy this weather while I can. By July it's gonna be hot and muggy all the time...just more so when the sun is up!!

-Jonny

"I passed one guy who was

"I passed one guy who was walking...guess he didn't hear me coming cause he about jumped out of his skin! He said,"Whoa...you scared me!" I said, "Sorry! Got my quiet shoes on today!" He chuckled and said,"Oh...yeah, you do!" "

This is one of my favorite parts of barefoot running. Now Days I see how close I can get before they hear me. Usually I pass just as they scream "Holy Sh#$" or they jump. I always laugh. See how close you can get too. I have passed at less than 2 inches. :) Another fun game, see how close behind another runner you van get and stay there as long as possible before they notice you.

Sounds like your getting good advice and making progress. Silly as it sounds, RELAX RELAX RELAX.

If you are running 5 miles, you are golden. Now it is just a matter of patience and I'll bet by the end of the month you can get in a 10 miler no problem. Just listen to that Achilles and make sure you are not stressing it. Been there, snapped that!

Fun game, Lava, fun game! 

Fun game, Lava, fun game! Ha!

How long have you been at this again, Jonny? Maybe you are progressing a little too fast? Maybe you should take it down a notch? I don't know. Just be safe out there. Some injuries don't show up until a day or two later, and by then you've caused more damage.

Good on you for noting your way of going about this should have been done differently. These are the kinds of statements that help others progress safely. So thank you for that.

I've been an athlete my whole

I've been an athlete my whole life, so I wasn't exactly a couch potato when I started. I hadn't been running but a hand full of times in that last year and a half when I bought my first pair of VFFs 3/23/11 and went for a 200yd jog attempting propper form. (You were the first to welcome me, TJ. I know there are a lot of us Newbs! http://barefootrunners.org/forum-topic/hey-north-texas-too ) I tried to be thorough in my research before jumping in, so I was already familiar with TMTS, TOFP and starting slow, but ever since, I can't get enough! In fact, the feeling I got the first run is what drove me to buy "Born to Run" and "Running the Sahara". Not to worry, though...I'm not a fan of pain, I've just become pretty astute at decyphering my body's warnings signs for "the start of injury" pain and "normal muscle sore" pain. This is too much fun! No way I'm going to over do it! That would mean I gotta sit on the sidelines! I'd rather take a few days off than a few weeks!

Confucius say: Real knowledge is to know the extend of one's ignorance!

I don't believe you have to "empty your cup", but an open mind is a must!

-Jonny

PS: Lava, I'm running mostly in the dark and this is Texas, home of the concield Handgun and giant cans of mace...maybe in my next race, I will give that game a try, but for my training and fun runs...not so much! LOL! Love where your head is at, though! That's my kind of sense of humor!