Minnesota Monster Dash 2017

Discussion in 'Chapters' started by TD Moose, Aug 18, 2017.

1. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

I just signed up for the Minnesota Monster Dash half marathon in St Paul (Oct 28th). It's one of my favorites. This will be my 4th time doing this race.

The temperature is likely to be on the cool side at the start, but, with any luck, will warm up enough to be comfortable. It was just below freezing at the start one year, and, it only warmed up to the high 30s. That's close to my limits, but, not to bad after I (and the air) warmed up.

If you are interested in signing up, go to this page.

http://www.minnesotamonster.com/

Many of the results of a google search for "Monster Dash" go to defunct, bogus, or hacked pages, so, use the URL above.

Hope to see some of you there!

Barefoot TJ likes this.
  2. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

We'll see if I end up doing this barefoot. It's snowing now, and the predicted temp for the start of the race tomorrow is 28 F. I'm more worried about ice on the road than cold. If road conditions look ok, I'll wear socks right up until start time, and then ditch them. Fingers crossed.

trevize1138 likes this.
  3. Tedlet

Tedlet
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. United Kingdom

Good luck TD.....

4. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Good luck and have fun! I've done it once but after last weekend's Mankato Marathon I need more time to recover :). From what I remember of the course it should be very doable barefoot.

5. TD Moose

TD Moose
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Not too shabby for an old fart.

Final time: 1:49:05

https://www.mtecresults.com/runner/show?race=6184&rid=3532

The temps held in the low 30s for the night, and, at race time, the roads were clear of snow or ice. Overall, a very comfortable run. I kept to the dryer sections of pavement when I could, but, even the wet sections weren't too cold. Bridges were a different story. The combination of wet, cold, and salt (or whatever they put on the roads), was a little uncomfortable, but, fortunately, none of the bridges were too long.

Best of all, I had fun. I would recommend this race to anyone in the area. Just keep in mind that in October, Minnesota can hand you all manner of weather to deal with.

6. dutchie53

dutchie53
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Canada

Well done Moose, I’m going to try to come down and do that one next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bare Lee likes this.
  7. trevize1138

trevize1138
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters
    1. Minnesota

Solid time, fellow old dude! I'm going to do a couple halfs next year myself to see what I can do for time. Only 1/2 I've ever done was the Monster Dash 5 years ago just before I started transitioning to minimalist and clocked 2:06. Considering the first half of the Mankato Marathon I had 2:09 I should be able to at least break the 2hr mark.

Sounds about right, too, what you say about salt and stuff like that presenting the biggest challenge to cold weather unshod running. Once you get going that cold ground actually feels pretty nice and welcome, especially compared to the 100F late July Maah Daah Hey dirt I suffered through. :)

Bare Lee likes this.
  8. Chris C

Chris C
    Expand Collapse
    Barefooters

Congratulations and you ran a super time!