Minimalist shoe for winter and trail running? Inov8 bare-Grip?

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
My transition to bf running is going slow and steady. However I dont think I'll be able to tolerate much cold atleast this first winter, so looking for a minimalist solution. Also I want to get back into some trail running, for one there is a trail that starts only a couple hundred yards from my house. I dont think I'll be skilled enough to do that barefoot for a while either, so thinking maybe a minimalist shoe for doing the occasional trail run. Heck maybe even hiking instead of boots?

I dont know much about minimalist shoes and hear lots of stories here how some are terrible so looking for some advice. I did a little checking on one website I have ordered from before and liked the sounds of the Inov8 bare-grip 200's http://www.zombierunner.com/store/categories/shoes/minimalist/inov-8/product3268.html they look like they have some pretty aggressive tread! And I like the looks too as opposed to some others (but looks shouldnt be a factor I know). But I wonder if ithat tread interferes with feedback? Everything else about the shoe seems very minimalist, no midsole, etc.

Or suggest another?

I do have a pair of vibram komodosports but they are what I wear out and around, to work sometimes, etc and dont want to run in them, so I need to buy another pair anyhow. I like the vibrams so far but the ones for running dont seem to have much grip and for the trail I question whether stuff would continously get stuck between the toes? Just walking around the yard I seem to always have that happen.

Check out Saypay's blog. 

Check out Saypay's blog. He's also known as the Maple Grove Barefoot guy. He has lots of reviews for shoes and is pretty darned knowledgeable.

http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/

Indeed I am NickW Tristan,

Indeed I am NickW :)

Tristan, my advice about winter running is that you don't need a separate shoe for the cold weather. What you have now is fine. The Komodosports are a great shoe. Your body will adapt to the cold

Cold weather tips: http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/2011/09/some-tips-on-cold-weather.html

As for trail running, there are tons of great shoes out there. Your Komodos will actually work fine, but here's three great shoes specifically for the trail that will also work if you'd rather have something with a closed toe.

Merrell Trail Glove: http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/2011/02/merrell-trail-glove-review.html

New Balance Minimus Trail MT20: http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/2011/10/new-balance-minimus-trail-mt20-review.html

VIVOBAREFOOT Neo Trail: http://www.maplegrovebarefootguy.com/2011/09/vivobarefoot-neo-trail-review.html

You want I should resurrect

You want I should resurrect this home page article? (That's my New Jersey jargon. Hee.)

Yikes!  That's a really

Yikes! That's a really non-anatomical shoe.

Barefoot TJ wrote:You want I

Barefoot TJ said:
You want I should resurrect this home page article? (That's my New Jersey jargon. Hee.)

It would seem you are watching too much Jersey Shore!!! ;-) :tongue:

saypay45 wrote:Tristan, my

saypay45 said:
Tristan, my advice about winter running is that you don't need a separate shoe for the cold weather. What you have now is fine. The Komodosports are a great shoe. Your body will adapt to the cold

Well I might not have been clear, the Komodosports are my 'normal' shoe for the most part, I dont want to run in them. I have to wash them enough already, if I ran in them I think I'd have to wash em every time (they just get smelly to fast) and they wouldnt be dry to wear out. So I need a seperate pair for running, if you think the Komodosports are good I would use them, but get another pair just for running if that makes sense. I have not tried to run in them yet so I might try just to see. Those are my first pair of Vibrams and my first minimalist shoe period. I do really like them, they fit my feet perfectly. I rarely ever see them talked about for running though, always the KSO's or Sprints... are either of those better than the Komodo's? I got the Komodos for looks to be honest, I liked the Black with the more subtle gold/grey trim, just enough for someone to notice them but not too super duper look-at-me flashy like a lot of thier other ones are, and not just plain black either. I like the reflective stripes too and that would be a plus since I night run a lot.

About adapting to the cold... maybe... but I dont know if I even want to try after even the 'pros' have all sorts of issues including frostbite. Yikes! I know even ~40* the other day hurt my feet pretty bad, and I dont just mean from the cold, it must have been the reduced feedback leading to improper form or something but one spot turned a dark red same on both feet and felt like I was going to get a blister for a few days afterward even... never did... but the color is still not even back to fully normal. Plus it does get down to around 0* here, although usually not for too long. But in the teens can stay around for weeks. Also the idea of roadsalt doesnt appeal much to me, or cinders either...

I also read your reviews and seems like there is no perfect shoe - they all have issues. But I guess thats to be expected. Thanks for the great info though! It further makes it tough since I am looking for a dual purpose shoe... a trail shoe and a winter shoe. I guess if I were to focus say on just a trail shoe I could overlook some of the shoes that have poor road reviews, etc.

Nyah said:
Yikes! That's a really non-anatomical shoe.

Well I dont really have an eye I guess for that, they looked good to me?

Are they out of the running then?

Anyone else have these shoes?

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/media/images_new/inov-8/250x/bare_grip_200.jpg

http://www.zombierunner.com/store/media/images_new/inov-8/250x/bare_grip_200_outsole.jpg

pardon me but does someone

pardon me but does someone really have frost bite listed as a pro to winter running? i hope not. cells die off naturally but not enmass like frostbite does. it's never good and can do quite a bit of damage. i would go into more detail but i forget things i don't need to know and don't always pay good attention to the things i do need to know. last year in my anatomy class the teacher talked about how bad frostbite is. i'm also too lazy to go search through my book for the reasons you want to avoid it. just don't do it.

i can't add too much to winter running shoes. it doesn't get that cold in Oregon. if it gets that cold there you can always check out the vff flows. they're made for cold weather. you can do treks or trek sports along with some wool socks. also, avoid be bf in road salt. think meat tenderizer. yes, you're made of meat.

Mike

You also have to watch out

You also have to watch out for frost nip, which is an earlier stage to frost bite. About 6-7 years ago I got frost nip on my feet and I had parts of my feet that took a couple of months for me to get feeling back. I was in the shower when that happened, let me tell you, it hurt, badly.

Believe me from experience,

Believe me from experience, frost bite is not your friend, and if you can avoid it, please do. I grew up in Northern Alberta for most of my childhood, and I have had frostbitten ears, frost nip on the nose and fingers. Not a pleasant feeling, especially when the feeling starts to come back.

Last winter during the Winter Challenge, I ended up with frost nip on the feet, but luckily nothing worse. You have to know where your limit is, that is one area I did not push. I did get down quite low in temperature -29 degrees C, but it was for a short distance (2km) at the end of my run. As soon as you lose the feeling of the ground, that is time to put your 'Tools (shoes) on because that is when your feet are coming to a point that damage is happening.

One other note pertaining to the Vibrams, not the best for really cold temperatures. Your toes are separated, so they are unable to rely on 'warmth in numbers' so to speak. I found that below -10 degrees C I had to switch to a more convential toe box to allow the toes to help each other out. Think about this, what is warmer a pair of gloves or a pair of mittens.

From looking at those shoes,

From looking at those shoes, all I can think about is a pair of cletes. Having played lacrosse a large portion of my life, I can pretty much guarantee you that running in those things (especially long distances) is going to lead to some serious issues (i.e. shin splints, etc.). JMHO.