Minimalist footwear comparison tool

Barefoot TJ

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 5, 2010
I am surprised Feelmax is not

I am surprised Feelmax is not on the list. Although I do not see them mentioned much on any of the forums. They IMO come as close to BFR when it comes to ground feel as any. Mine have lasted through some pretty tough running surface conditions and still have quite a few miles in them. http://www.feelmax.com/index.php?lang=en

Kind of a cool tool.  It just

Kind of a cool tool. It just compares mearsurable criteria though, like weight and drop. The problem is that there are a lot of intangibles that can't be measured by a tool like this. And I think that's how a lot of people make their decisions about minimal shoes.

There is still no such thing

There is still no such thing as a "barefoot shoe".

Thanks for the link.  I need

Thanks for the link. I need to do some back-to-school shopping for the kids and they both need new shoes. That will help.

If anyone has any reviews of minimal shoes for kids, please share (I've shared a few of my own comments below). They need something that looks enough like a regular tennis shoe that the gym teacher won't give them grief. Something like a Zem won't cut it. I'm thinking maybe some Merrells or VivoBarefoots for them.

Evan (6) is *almost* big enough to fit in Kathryn's old VFF KSOs (from when she was 8 ), so he'll have those for next summer. They held up as well, as you'd expect from a VFF. The downside to them is that they're really a pain for the kids to get on and off. It's tough enough for adults to manage KSOs, but it's a real struggle for the kids. If you've ever tried helping a young child put on a pair of gloves you can imagine what I mean. For that reason, I doubt I'd choose to buy VFFs for the kids again (but there weren't many options 2 years ago -- we were lucky that she fit in the smallest size adult VFFs at the time).

Kathryn (now 10) had a pair of FeelMax Osmas last year, but they wore out quickly for her and ended up with a pretty bad funk. I'm hoping that the Merrells or VivoBarefoots might prove more durable.

Both kids have worn through several pairs of one-star converse from Target. They're more of a reduced shoe than minimal and my main concern with them is the toe box is more narrow than I'd prefer for their growing feet, but they're inexpensive, convenient to get, have a good selection of colors and styles and have a zero-drop.

Peace,

Karen

The fact that they have a

The fact that they have a "Drop" spec listing should be raising red flags with readers.

There is still no such thing

There is still no such thing as a "barefoot shoe".

Yea, yea, yea, we get it. Not much we can do with the terminology once it's been thrown around as much as it has, so I've tried my best to get over it and bite my tongue. I try to push the "barefoot-inspired" or "barefoot-style" terminology out there as often as possible and hope it will start to stick. Like Jason says, the barefoot-shoe oxymoron actually brings credibility to the real thing, and I'm all for drawing people into heathier footwear, and if a term as messed up as barefoot-shoe does just that, then I'm all for that. I just wished they'd call them barefoot-inspired running shoes!

I hear you about the difficulty with children and KSOs, Karen. My 9 year old son has a pair of KSOs, and he loves them. They are a pain to get on, but today, we went to his school to "mett the teacher," and he was able to get them on all by himself. He's only worn them like three of four times. I found a nice looking pair of water shoes for my 5 year old son at the beach, so that's what he will be wearing to school this year. I can never seem to find them for my 9 year old for some reason, and those aren't something that's easily mail-ordered for children, meaning I'd rather see it on their feet before I buy it.

I can't imagine shopping for

I can't imagine shopping for these for kids, its hard enough to find them for my feet.. wide forefoot, thin ankle/heel, and a longer second toe.. and relatively small feet. In regular shoes I often wind up in the kids section (boys 4.5-5 fit the same as a womens 6.5-7) just because I can, but in minimalist shoes its even harder. Several manufacturers seem to only make them in 38 and up European sizing..

TJ, you just made me think of

TJ, you just made me think of a reply when someone says they have bf shoes. look at them with a smile and ask "you mean you don't wear socks?"

might be worth trying out on some unexpected noobie.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts