Minimalist Combat Boots

crzyc

Barefooters
Mar 23, 2011
I need to modify my military combat boots. I've been into minimalist footwear for about a year and now my standard issue (required) boots feel like high-heeled bricks on my feet compared to my inov-8s. Unfortunately I can't choose what I wear in uniform. My proposed solution is to take my standard boots, rip out the current soles, arches, really everything under my foot, and replace it with something suitable to minimalist characteristics. I'm trying to find a good place to get this done. I found a bunch of local places that were cool with doing sole work, but they did not have the capabilities to do what I was really looking for with removing all arch support and making the boots neutral from heel to toe. I have a couple more places I am trying next week, but I'm not overly optimistic. Anyone have recommendations on someone or someplace that could do the modifications I want?

Guys, didn't we have some

Guys, didn't we have some threads about this here that would be helpful for Crzyc?

Welcome, Crazy! We're all a little kooky here!

Okay, there are more, I

Okay, there are more, I know. You can use the search field at top to search for military and/or combat boots. We have discussions about military footwear all the time here, so you're bound to find lots of good info. Hope this helps.

I'm new to

I'm new to barefoot/minimalist running but have been in the Air Force for 20+ years. I recently purchased a pair of Tactical Research Kiowas. It's the most mininal off the shelf pair I've found and they meet AF uniform requirements. TR is a subsidiary of Bellville who's been making combat boots since WWII so the quality is solid.

Welcome, Danny, and thank you

Welcome, Danny, and thank you for your service!

The Kiowas are appealing and

The Kiowas are appealing and look very comfortable. I know a couple of guys who wear them, and they said the boots were more like sneakers. I have two pairs of Corcoran Marauders, so instead of dropping more money on boots, I'm probably going to have a cobbler zero out my boots and see if he can make them a little more flexible. I don't know about the flexibility, but I've seen conventional shoes zero'd out and it seems like a decent option. Just food for thought.

Well, Nike makes one that

Well, Nike makes one that seems to be fairly popular. It looks like a desert boot with a Free style sole. Aside from that, if you wanted to have a cobbler work on existing boots, I'd have them work over a pair of Corcorans, as they're already made off the Munson last and have a good bit of toe room. When we were wearing black leather boots you used to be able to choose from a number of different soles if you had work done, but with the new boots I'm not sure if that's the case anymore.

(I've been in for almost 17 years now and just got into the barefoot/minimalist thing in the past couple. Best thing I ever did for my feet and legs) :)

if i were to do this, and i

if i were to do this, and i have been thinking about it. i would probably call Barefoot Ted, have him send me some sole material that he uses for his Leadvilles and then have that affixes to the bottom of my Danners(mine are the American made ones, so they are a stitched/glued sole). i think that would work pretty damn well. or go even lighter (6mm) for ubran style boots.

Thanks for reviving this thread, Iver. It's good for people to know.