Minimal Combat Boot

Greginator USAF

Barefooters
Jul 17, 2010
A number of us in the BRS are involved with one component or another of the military; that means we spend a fair amount of time in our combat boots. Granted, everything a combat boot is all about is the antithesis of minimal footwear, but what is the MOST minimal combat boot? Perhaps the most minimal boot wouldn't even qualify for the reduced footwear category, but I'd still like to find which one has the thinnest, most flexible sole, the lowest heel, and the widest toebox. Any thoughts?

I'm not in the military, but

I'm not in the military, but my job does require almost identical footwear - combat boots or low-quarters. I can't stand any of my old athletic or dress shoes anymore, but I don't seem to have a problem with my boots or shoes at work. The boots are Danner Acadias. I think the shoes are Thouroughogood (Sp?) low quarters. I did have to requisition the next bigger size shoe after BFR, as I believe my feet did splay out slightly.

It may just be me, but the Danners don't seem to bother me at all.

Good luck with that one! Can

Good luck with that one! Can you modify a pair or would you get in trouble? I have seen some Timberland steel toe boots with flat bottoms, but they are not combat boots, but maybe OK for construction.

I bookmarked this thread a

I bookmarked this thread a while back for my DH (who's not in the military but often wears military boots).

http://www.runnersworld.com/community/forums/runner-communities/barefoot-running/combat-boots

Peace,

Karen

PS -- I hope I'm allowed to link back to "that other forum."

Greginator USAF

Greginator USAF said:
Karen, you're my hero! Looks like "the other forum" came up with these. I listed available colors and the prices I saw online, for anyone who cares.

Tactical Research Kiowa (Tan, Black, Multicam & Green) $90-110

Altama Exospeed (Tan, Black, & Green) $120-125

Nike SFB (Tan & Black only) $130

Rocky S2V (Tan, Black, & Green) $150-250

The Nikes are a no go for me since the AF will mandate Sage Green boots come 2011. I'll have to see if the local MCSS (Military Clothing Supply Store) has any of the others to try on. If not, I'll have to do the internet order thing.

Good luck on finding a good pair, and thanks for serving our country!

Karen, you're my hero!

Karen, you're my hero! Looks like "the other forum" came up with these. I listed available colors and the prices I saw online, for anyone who cares.

Danner TFX (Tan, Black, & Green) $140-170

The Nikes are a no go for me since the AF will mandate Sage Green boots come 2011. I'll have to see if the local MCSS (Military Clothing Supply Store) has any of the others to try on. If not, I'll have to do the internet order thing.

Greginator USAF wrote:Karen,

Greginator USAF said:

You're welcome. It's you and all those who serve who are the heros! Thanks!

FWIW, the tan Altamas are available for $90.99 at US Cavalry.

http://www.uscav.com/Productinfo.aspx?productID=10209&TabID=548

Peace,

Karen

Greginator USAF

Greginator USAF said:

If it was me I think the tactical kiowa looks great, it looks like it would feel the best.

Thanks, guys.I'm currently

Thanks, guys.
I'm currently thinking either the TR Kiowa or the Altama Exospeed. I'm leaning more toward the Exospeed at this point simply because it's 4.6oz lighter per boot at a size 9 (18.4oz vs 23oz ); the difference will likely be greater at the 13 I wear. At first glance, the Kiowa looks like it has a thinner sole, but that's only because the upper wraps around a lot of it. Other than that, they both claim to be designed to be as much like a running shoe as possible; I know we like to hate on running shoes here, but a running shoe is a heck of a lot more minimal than a combat boot, so I'll take what I can get.
PS. I looked it up, I can wear my old tan boots 'till November of 2011 if I want, but I want something lighter anyhow, so I might as well switch now.

The MCSS didn't have anything

The MCSS didn't have anything I liked (not a big surprise), so I decided to order a pair of the Altama Exospeed II. Should be here in a couple weeks (darn overseas shipping), and I'll let you guys know what I think of 'em when they arrive.

Greg - I am in the USMC, and

Greg - I am in the USMC, and with the strictness of our uniforms regs, I can not wear any of the open market boots listed above. I am waiting for the annual 'drop out' sale at the uniform shop (Officer Candidate School is on by base, so periodically they sell the uniforms from the OCS drop outs at a deep discount) to pick up a pair of spare boots. I am going to take them to a local cobbler and see if I can get him to cut the sole down as flat and thin as he can go.

If he will do it, I will post pictures and a review!

Another member of our beloved

Another member of our beloved military. Thank you, Joe, for your service to our country.

Reactions: jldeleon
Dang, I checked the sale bin

Dang, I checked the sale bin at the uniform shop and all they had were ridiculously small and gigantic sizes... I will have to wait for the next crop of dropouts to try my reduced boot experiment...

When you get around to it,

When you get around to it, let us know.

By the way, my Altama Exospeeds showed up. The ankle support is a little stiffer than I'd like, but the sole is significantly more flexible than my old boots. Also, they are a lot lighter. I'll have to use them for a week or two to really get a good feel for them, but I'll report back.

This is a older post but I am

This is a older post but I am also interested in minimal combat boots. I am in the Army (National guard). I have been curious of the Nike SFB. One of my soldiers has a pair and he says they are very comfortable and light. But he is also not a minimalist either. Currently I have the altima ripple soles and the Danners TFX. Both of which are like bricks on your feet. I have been disappointed in the tread wear of the Danners. I bought them in February and half the sole is gone.

Welcome, Cory!  Thank you for

Welcome, Cory! Thank you for your service to our country.

Reactions: jldeleon
As a fellow Airman, I can

As a fellow Airman, I can definitely empathize with you about finding boots that fit what you are looking for...so, from my experience, here are my thoughts. Hope this helps!

These are all the boots I have worn:

belleville_700v.jpg

Standard Issue Belleville Boot

BTS-W922-04-y.psd

Bates 922 Durashocks

E606DE8A-C294-093B-012E7CE509FC9D76.jpg

Oakley SI Assault Boot

yhKs7-Io-GazJHL94KvUNQ1dbb8ARKcBdnL93hS1eoZgqfqSyoKPShE4A44lfBjqP8lkBBKjZP0EdQkQ2ze-7jJpBA6biG3zvd1JZBvvHk0as77mkgQs4FpP-04dxuHHR8k_QI0cTgZxC_jIkjYo2ZM=s220-c

Nike Special Forces Boot

TR606.jpg

Tactical Research Kiowa Boot

T-0sAGFtCD5uzQGN3ZRoQ0H7rgfbTL5mqy29kc-8ludgcB3iVZ2PiLlYiOIj0Ry8BhXE4W-ljfrGwc4PsJfcDA3eesD9h83kKB6J-6pzeDcWeMOR60h6IQGRjuhIjBejV8HVy9GiSnFSOc2UL364Qv5B0UpASLfC_Y3NBNVQlXWHdIOTpqqemgpRKd28InzsR_2u3pwy8F72xHwxZtoIKGOsCqe0SRxF6kIG0NeX=s220-c

Rocky S2V Tactical Boot

I can tell you that out of all these boots, that the Nike SFB is EASILY the clear winner regarding everything that you are looking for. The Nike boots are the lightest by far, have a minimal heel-to-toe drop (for combat boots), and have the most flexible sole (the Kiowa boots have the thinnest outsole, but they have a thick midsole inside the boot, so the sole is not that flexible), and the SFB also has a surprisingly wide toebox as well. So, all these things considered, I would say that the Nike SFB is definitely the boot you are looking for...

AND

...they are coming out with a Sage Green version in October so you can wear them after the uniform policy changes over!!

Any others questions, let me know!

God Bless!