Mileage w/e 9/25/2010

barefootmetalman

Chapter Presidents
Jul 19, 2010
Andover, KS
22.55 barefoot miles this week.

Ran the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K today. My first barefoot "race". Decided to take it easy on my run today since I wanted to do a long run tomorrow morning since I am training for a 1/2 marathon on 10/10/10. Anyway, I guess adrenaline took over and I didn't take it easy. My last training run on the run course was 26:04 on Tuesday (and my feet were pretty tender after that run), so I figured since I would be running again tomorrow, instead of pushing it and trying to beat that time, I would back off and run around 27 or 28 min. Well, I finished at 24:45! Feet actually aren't feeling too bad now. They were tender right after the run. I plan on carrying my VFFs with me tomorrow when I run just in case, but hopefully I won't need them.

Also, searching online for some info regarding today's run, I found this article from last month that mentions barefoot running, BFRS, and links to my post on here regarding the Susan G. Komen run. Thought it was pretty cool: http://www.examiner.com/weight-loss-in-wichita/avoid-the-egg-recall-and-start-barefoot-running

how about week ending

how about week ending 9/26?

15 bf miles during the week

a 34 mile 50k on Saturday in Lunas

a 5k (PR baby!) this morning in Evos

Total distance is around 50 miles I think. I'm friggin sore!

Congrats on your first

Congrats on your first barefoot race, Metal! That's a good time too, and an even better pace after that! Have you thought about becoming a BRS Kansas Chapter President? If you are interested, please email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Outstanding mileage, Shacky! 

Outstanding mileage, Shacky! You have really grown as a runner this past year and a half that I've known you. I'm proud to call you my friend.

Thanks TJ.  I find it kinda

Thanks TJ. I find it kinda humorous that my weekly and monthly mileage is now higher then it was when I was shod and actively training for marathons. Back then I could barely do 40mile weeks and now I'm pushing 60 almost every week.

Now that I am finally healthy and going BR/MR, the running is so much more enjoyable and I rarely have any trouble convincing myself to go out for a run. Plus the recovery times are amazingly fast allowing me to put in daily doubles and back to back runs.

Nice distance with the

Nice distance with the huaraches Silly. Care to expand on the experience? Did the laces stay snug throughout the run? Were you bare or in socks? Any soreness or blisters?

Nice running, Silly!  Wow

Nice running, Silly! Wow that sure is great for a Luna run! You should email ted to let him know. He would be so pleased.

Shacky and TJ - I'm in

Shacky and TJ - I'm in invisible shoes, not Lunas.

I'll take a pic and post it sometime late tomorrow, maybe. I have them tied slip-on, and have probably put close to 80 miles on this particular tie job. I tied them back in early August. I'll try to get some good photos of it. I found a way to tie them so that the knots look "neat", and they seem to stay put that way. I have to say, I really like the nylon cord that comes with the invisible shoes. Looks crappy, runs great. Speaking of looking crappy - I got the invisible shoe kit, so I made them myself and it shows.

No injinjis this week, and no problems. I wore injinjis two weeks ago on my long run (19 miles, trail), and was glad I did. Lotsa thorns and an overgrown trail - I came back all sliced up from the top of my socks to the bottoms of my short-shorts.

My arch on my left foot is troubling me, though. I keep getting poked by acorns and stones, and it is bruised all to heck. I can still run comfortably, but if an acorn gets in there, it hurts BAD and I scream. I stepped funny on a rock around mile 16 and had to take a two minute break to cry. (Shacky - got any wisdom for me on that? Other than... yeah... if you're going to run for four hours, maybe two minutes of crying is to be expected?)

Oh, and btw? That was my longest run EVAH!!! I couldn't run like this when I wore shoes. Nope, nope nope.

A testimonial right there,

A testimonial right there, ladies and gents. Spread the word, Silly Girl! And yes, you do deserve a good cry now and again. I just got my Invisable Shoes kit in the mail. I will wait to see your photos before I put mine together. Crossing toes.

no I did not get lost.  The

no I did not get lost. The race director is evil and made the course long on purpose. On the bright side, there was a 9.5hr cutoff but he lifted it since the course was long and the temps were outrageous.

Congratulations...Shacky -

Congratulations...

Shacky - on your 50K+

SillyC. - on your 21.4 mile trail run

Very impressive indeed.

8.5 BF miles for me total this week.

"Speed" training has taken a real bite out of my distance.

S. Pimp.

Yes, GREAT job on all those

Yes, GREAT job on all those distances. Haven't done anything longer than 10 miles since my last shod marathon back in March. Can't wait till I'm ready to try a BF marathon then some Ultras. I have mostly been concentrating on getting my feet used to the roads and haven't been doing back-to-back days on runs. Only been running BF for about 3 months now. I probably should start incorporating some runs in my VFFs on alternate days, but I definitely like going completly bare better than even VFFs. I am planning on ordering an Invisible Shoe kit as well, so maybe once I get that I might start adding some runs. One question I have though is how should I adjust my mileage when I start incorporating extra runs in? They normally say not to increase more than 10%/week on distance. I have been trying to increase my "long run" day by about 1-2 miles each week, and with my weekly miles only being about 20 miles now, that would be my 10%. I don't really want to add another day of running just to get the same amount of miles by having to cut down one of my BF runs and thus taking away from my feet getting accustomed. Would adding in an additional 6+ mile run with a minimalist shoe be a bad thing esp. if I still increase my long BF run by 10% too?

Anyway, as a side note, I have been cycling on my "off days"...barefoot. I wasn't sure how I would like it, but I actually like cycling barefoot better than with my clipless pedals/shoes. I like being able to vary my foot position and grip the pedals with my toes and use that extra "pull" while going up a hill against the wind. I find it easier to "pull" when I am barefoot compared to when I have cycling shoes on (plus my feet don't get sweaty and I can still run after a ride...although not very long right now since my feet are still getting used to it and are a little sore after a long ride.)

Got it.  Thanks again!

Got it. Thanks again!