Mileage reporting week 7 of 2016

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
I think I am confused about what week we are in, so if I did it wrong, someone speak up.

Last week I put in 23.9 miles, 16.1 of them barefoot, as the weather got very pleasant in the second half of the week.

This week, whatever number it is, I started with a 12.2 mile barefoot run around my pond loop. I am going to try to SLOWLY increase my longest runs again. I am encouraged because that was the most comfortable 12 miles after not running more than 8-10 all winter, and that not too often. It was also faster (for me) without me trying to go fast. I think staying at those miles as a longest distance last year solidified my base.

Barefoot side note: I was a guest on a local garden radio show this last Saturday, and the first thing she said on air about me was that I was a barefoot runner. I didn't know she had looked at my other blogs, so I was surprised. Then, she said she was jealous because she could see I was barefoot right then, too. :D

You got the week right best I can tell! And neat about the radio show!

Another bad start to the week for me. Haven't done anything all week until I got home from work today I made myself get on the bike rollers for 10 miles. I've barely done any stairs at work either. Legs are a bit sore and calves/achilles a bit tight from sitting long hours at the desk. :sour: Got 1.5 days off starting tomorrow though, so maybe I can get some running started.

Well back on the board at least 6.75 miles for me this afternoon. 33F easily barefootable but 3-4" snow on the trail and the roads were covered with sharp grit. I opted for the bike trail and my Soft Stars. Since I had 3 days of inactivity and tight legs, plus in shoes, i just took a nice and easy run, just under 10min pace avg. Suppose to warm up this weekend, hopefully the bike trail will melt and I can go back to barefoot on it.

A slow week thus far for me, well hectic on every other front bar running.
Managed some hill repeats early monday. Did some cardio and core workouts midweek.
Purchased my first ever pair of vibrams so I went for a quick three miles to test them out today. So far I think I like them, at least the ground feel, but they do seem a little warm and have zero grip on the ice.
Seems like they will be perfect for the rocky trails I run, and I can just stuff them in my pack when i don't need them.

This week, whatever number it is, I started with a 12.2 mile barefoot run around my pond loop. I am going to try to SLOWLY increase my longest runs again. I am encouraged because that was the most comfortable 12 miles after not running more than 8-10 all winter, and that not too often. It was also faster (for me) without me trying to go fast. I think staying at those miles as a longest distance last year solidified my base.

:D

Nice Laura, you wanna do a fall marathon?

Reactions: happysongbird
Well back on the board at least 6.75 miles for me this afternoon. 33F easily barefootable but 3-4" snow on the trail and the roads were covered with sharp grit. I opted for the bike trail and my Soft Stars. Since I had 3 days of inactivity and tight legs, plus in shoes, i just took a nice and easy run, just under 10min pace avg. Suppose to warm up this weekend, hopefully the bike trail will melt and I can go back to barefoot on it.

Do what you van Tristan. what're you doing is better than nothing.

A slow week thus far for me, well hectic on every other front bar running.
Managed some hill repeats early monday. Did some cardio and core workouts midweek.
Purchased my first ever pair of vibrams so I went for a quick three miles to test them out today. So far I think I like them, at least the ground feel, but they do seem a little warm and have zero grip on the ice.
Seems like they will be perfect for the rocky trails I run, and I can just stuff them in my pack when i don't need them.

VFF's are my favs when I need something on my feet the Seeya model it's awesome but in very hot weather I love the Entrada model and the VI-B but the former two wear out quickly though.

Forgot to say that last week I head 36 mi again an so far this week I have 28 miles.

Nice Laura, you wanna do a fall marathon?
Heya, Dama! I'm going with your philosophy of just seeing where I end up when there is a potential race event. I am really appreciating spending more time settling into each longer distance and getting comfortable there before adding more mileage to my longest runs. It seems to also be helping me gradually gain speed overall, so that just maybe my longer runs won't take quite so much time! But aside from that, we also have a vacation already scheduled for the week that I think there is the main fall marathon here, the second week of October.

Heya, Dama! I'm going with your philosophy of just seeing where I end up when there is a potential race event. I am really appreciating spending more time settling into each longer distance and getting comfortable there before adding more mileage to my longest runs. It seems to also be helping me gradually gain speed overall, so that just maybe my longer runs won't take quite so much time! But aside from that, we also have a vacation already scheduled for the week that I think there is the main fall marathon here, the second week of October.

Isn't a wonderful feeling to follow the just run approach? In my opinion the runs are happy runs, well for the most part.
I am interested in doing a marathon with you so we could personally meet...meeting each other somewhere in the middle? before or after the big potato marathon?(sorry forgot what the real name of the marathon is all I know is that there is a potato in the name).

Isn't a wonderful feeling to follow the just run approach? In my opinion the runs are happy runs, well for the most part.
I am interested in doing a marathon with you so we could personally meet...meeting each other somewhere in the middle? before or after the big potato marathon?(sorry forgot what the real name of the marathon is all I know is that there is a potato in the name).
Yeah, that would be nice! I'd say a half marathon would be no problem at this point, but I'm not ready to commit to a marathon. :)

I think the one you are trying to remember is The Great Potato Marathon, and that one is usually the end of May. I've only done the half for that one, twice. The one marathon I ran was The City of Trees in October.

Yeah, that would be nice! I'd say a half marathon would be no problem at this point, but I'm not ready to commit to a marathon. :)

I think the one you are trying to remember is The Great Potato Marathon, and that one is usually the end of May. I've only done the half for that one, twice. The one marathon I ran was The City of Trees in October.

Oh yea, now everything is coming back:happy:
A half marathon sounds good to me at this point as I am not marathon ready myself, heck, I think the last marathon I did was at least three years ago?
Lets look for something halfway from each other...watta you say?

Oh yea, now everything is coming back:happy:
A half marathon sounds good to me at this point as I am not marathon ready myself, heck, I think the last marathon I did was at least three years ago?
Lets look for something halfway from each other...watta you say?
Sounds good!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
8miles this morning, mild but with wind and rain. Still not back to pre winter form, but slowly finding my base again, come spring I should be primed and raring to go.
Ran in the KSO evo's again. I think they are perfect for what I want to do, just as backup for when the trail gets ugly. They were wet through for most of the run, i was expecting hot spots and possibly blisters, but not so much as a hint of anything sinister, so i'm well happy.
it's only taken me six years to get around to testing them out, that's how long my merrell's have lasted before giving up the ghost. I also found I get more funny looks wearing these than I do being barefoot, strange how peoples perception works.

Got runs in Thursday, Saturday, and Sunday, no long run just 6-7 milers and 20.6 miles total. It warmed up over the weekend and all the snow melted so back to barefoot. Actually was about 70ºF and shorts and no shirt run... quite a bit different than last weekends coldest run of the season! Todays run got to see a couple of red tailed hawks perched overlooking the rail-trail.

I also got 21.5 miles on the bike, actually a bike I just picked up last week, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur in great shape. First touring framed bike I've got and going to be setting this one up for touring/load hauling with some racks and bags and such. Planning on maybe a couple multi-day bike trips this year:).

Also have been hitting the stairs hard the 3 nightshifts I've had this weekend. 85 floors the first night, 102 floors last night, and so far on track to break 100 again tonight.

@KTR - welcome to the club!

Most excellent run on Saturday!
I decided to run along the Iowa River and go eagle watching and by golly what I sight!
Saw sixteen, that's right sixteen eagles, some on flight but most perching high on the trees...it was so BEAUTIFUL!
On the way back I took a different route that still runs along the river and the nice paved trail turned into a very narrow mud path and boy what fun that was, all though I kept losing my VFF deep into the mud but didn't care I had a blast! and I didn't wanted to go back cause I wanted to see more eagles.
Yes I had to wear my VFF it wasn't warm enough for me thou.
Also the way back was tough fighting the wind. Ended up running 15 miles and didn't feel like it.
So I had 43 miles total for the week the highest for this year but I am going to dial it back just a notch...maybe.