Mileage Reporting Week 45 (Nov 7 - Nov 13)

Runlite01

Barefooters
Apr 27, 2013
Denison Tx
Cool 5 mile run Wednesday at 5:00 am.60 deg. f. 85 % RH.
It was very nice out, still cloudy.
Boulder is still hanging in there (I think he likes the outings as much or more than I do).

A good week so far (weeks I have off are always good!) I've got at least one run in per day so far. A 2 and 6 miler Monday, 2 again Tuesday, 6.4 Wednesday, and this morning my first real cold run since last spring, 2 miles at 39F. Feet got chilled at first, took a little more than the first mile to warm up. Got to get em acclimated to cold. They have all been done at slow pace, ~10 min/mi, just haven't felt like going faster, and my right leg still has a bit of tightness. Wanted to be back to doing speedwork by midweek, to get a couple quicker training runs in since I signed up for a short 4-miler on Thanksgiving Day. I may go back out today and try going a little quicker, or tomorrow.

Fall colors are pretty much gone, though we never had a good peak of color. This year it seemed really sprawled out with only a couple trees in sight changing at a time. I try and take some pics through the leaf season on the trail but this year there was only one day with enough color to get some good pics... taken on a run about a week ago:

IMG_20161101_133302e.jpg IMG_20161101_133156-1024.jpg IMG_20161101_132150-1024.jpg

I took my nicer dSLR on the bike most of my rides this fall but not sure if I ever even got it out once, all I got are those above cell phone shots.

Really good early morning run yesterday -7.1km. But boy was it cold all of a sudden (minus 2C). Ran with a good few layers on to make sure my core temperature was ok & my feet reached that 'cool but warm enough' feeling after about 1-1.5km.
I think the cold air helped me keep my pace up too (by necessity!), so it ended up as a really enjoyable start to the day. Passed quite a few other runners on route & exchanged lots of hello's, etc... Hoping to get out again before the week's up...:)

So back out again this morning for 8.3km -temperature the right side of freezing this time!
Little bit wet & foggy today so not much to see, although there do seem to be a lot of mole hills appearing either side of the lakeside path just now. I guess the earth is quite soft there -so good ground for Mr mole:)...

Managed to pick up a tiny but sharp piece of gravel in my heel on route today -Grrrrr. -One of those where you carry on running and think 'oh that's ok it's gone now' - and then it pokes you again to let you know it's still there (anyone else had that?..). Annoying but not too difficult to dig out once I'd finished.

...nice pictures by the way Tristan (except the snake maybe -they scare me silly!;)).....

Reactions: Tristan and IraR
5 miles Friday at 4:45 am
8 great miles this morning at 6:00 am, 57 deg f. 67 % rh.
I saw a screech owl and a squadron of geese flying in a V formation honking.

Tristan do you know what kind of snake is in the photo?

Tedlet yes I have had similar items do the same as you mentioned about the gravel.:nailbiting:

Reactions: Tedlet
...nice pictures by the way Tristan (except the snake maybe -they scare me silly!;)).....
Ahh he's just a little fella though, barely over a foot long, sunning himself on the asphalt as the days grow shorter and cooler.

Tristan do you know what kind of snake is in the photo?
Just a common garter snake I believe, looking it up in more detail I believe Eastern Garter Snake (Thamnophis sirtalis)

On to the running... well Friday I did some speed work, 4x 1 mile repeats at ~6:45ish pace. 6.4 miles total, .75 walk after. Took Saturday off from running but spent a couple hours splitting and stacking firewood. Today long run, first one in 4 weeks, 13.7 miles plus 1 mile walk after.

38.6 miles for the week running, 1.75 walking. So I guess I broke 40 miles barefoot in all which I don't get to do too often :happy:

Reactions: Tedlet
Didn't get around to posting last week's mileage until now. I should write things down for myself, because there may be more mileage I'm not reporting. Let's see: My biggest run for the week was on Election Day, in the late evening, I mean 9:45 pm. I left Mom's assisted living in Brooklyn, after putting her to bed and listening to the election results on the big screen in the lobby. I'm a lifelong Republican and had put myself on a list of those who had officially endorsed Trump several months ago, so I was pretty giddy and this was my victory lap (don't mean to offend those on the losing side)! Then I ran 12 miles barefoot in the 60-degree balmy November weather. I ditched the shirt when I got to Prospect Park and proudly stuck out my bare chest through Brooklyn and Manhattan, pumping my fists in the air, stopping to do a couple sets of scaffold chin-ups for good measure. It was quite a day to be an American, and an especially exciting day to be a New Yorker (although too bad the state went Blue), since both Trump and Clinton were watching the results with their supporters, barely 20 blocks or so from each other, and the whole town just radiated this energy. I threaded my route home between the two gatherings, then put on the shirt and the XeroShoes to get into a bar, order one beer to celebrate, and watch more definitive results coming in at after midnight. Ran the last nine-tenth of a mile home from the bar about 45 minutes later in my Xeros.
Thursday night I ran about 7.6 miles total, about 5.5 miles barefoot. I left Brooklyn late but wanted to have a beer with a friend on the police force who gets out of his shift at midnight. He texted his availability, so I cut my run short and took the subway into Manhattan. He doesn't like my going to a bar in shorts, so I put on my Xeros and my long khakis on the subway platform. But I was rushing from the subway to the bar too much, and missed a cutaway of the curb in the dark and...splat on the city sidewalk pavement. The left knee wasn't too bad with the khakis on, but in my recent accidents in the Xeros I've tended to land rubbing the tip of the big toe and the top of the left foot, re-scraping the same parts of the top-side of the left foot. I didn't let the bleeding bother me too much in the bar, which reinforced my tough-guy image with my old buddy...but I decided I'd take the bus with him part-way and continued to talk, before running the last 1.6 miles home. Then I showered and cleaned up.
Saturday night I was a little worried about the injury to the big toe and top of the left foot, so I ran in the Xeros with my Japanese sumo socks on (they have a separation between the big toe and others, so you can wear them with flip-flops and other sandals with such separations) and stayed with a shorter distance, 10.4 miles, before taking the subway home from the Village. By the next week, the foot was much healed.
So that's 12.9 + 7.6 + 10.4 = 30.9 miles for last week. Now I've got to calculate what I've done for this week...