Mileage Reporting Week 37 (Sep 10 - Sep 17)

Tedlet

Barefooters
Aug 25, 2014
Had a reasonably good week so far -
8.25km on Monday
10.5km on Wednesday
8.4km on Friday

All early morning runs & two out of three were dry ones -Wednesday was just a bit drizzly and damp, but still quite a good temperature for running.
Legs, etc... all holding up pretty well at the moment...:barefoot:

Tuesday - 9.3 miles
Thursday - 7 miles

Tonight I'll be doing my little running club which will probably be just me and the new pastor in town for the Methodist church who wants to get into running. I keep telling him he doesn't need to wear shoes but he says his wife told him otherwise. :) Still working on that but at least making sure he understands that form>footwear. I've shown him a couple of drills like Dr. Cucuzzella's running in place with quick springy vs slow sticky cadence.

Of course, his form starts to lapse after the first minute or so of the run. After the first 1 1/2 miles or so is when he usually feels the need to walk and then he sort of alternates the rest of the time between walk and run. Tonight I'm going to challenge/inspire him to complete the full 4.5 mile loop we usually do without walking by staying laser-focused on form and really working on slowing down. I'll see how that goes.

Reactions: Tedlet
Wednesday - 1.6 miles minimally shod walk/jog
Saturday - 1.8 miles unshod walk/jog
That’s 3.4 miles for the week and 17.6 miles YTD.

Am still processing my first unshod run this morning. The biggest surprise was that jogging felt easier on my feet than walking.

Also this week, my partner and I have coined the term “podiabitionist” to express my new penchant for enjoying and exposing the beauty of the naked foot in public.

4.6 super easy miles Friday
3 trail miles Sunday

Only about 24 miles this week so well shy of my usual goal of 40 but time just didn't allow for it. And the last two runs were very easy as they were with my friend who's trying to get into running and I'm coaching him on form.

On Friday I decided not to challenge him to run the full 4.6 miles without stopping, instead opting for a 3 mile challenge and he did it! He said he did see the benefit during that run of mindfullness of running form and slowing down and was happy with himself for completing the challenge. For the rest of the run he only stopped to walk two more times, too.

Yesterday I took him to my local 1 mile singletrack trail loop for a whole new education. He said he was feeling good about Friday but yesterday at the trail was really kicking his butt! I told him that's entirely normal as trail running will be a lot more of a full body workout. He couldn't quite believe it when we completed the first 1 mile lap a full minute slower than his 3 mile pace on the roads from Friday. He could have sworn we were just flying down the trail.

We started the third lap walking and he said his feet were hurting a bit. He has some cheaper shoes, I'd been running in my Luna Origens so far and he jokingly said something about "I heard you need good shoes for trail running." That meant I had to take my sandals off and run the rest of the lap unshod. The acorns are out and the trail was a bit dry and rough so that's why I had the sandals on in the first place. But, nothing I couldn't handle for a lap and I didn't hear him complain about sore feet again. :)

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts