Mileage Reporting week 33 of 2015

Tristan

Barefooters
Sep 15, 2011
Ohio
Has this week started yet? Yup!

I'm working on a short running streak, typically I do every other day with just a few random back to backs (usually try and bike on the opposite days) but I've run now every day since last Friday.

Monday I just did a short run. Wanted a bit of a rest day before a long run, and toyed around with shooting my form on the camera so a 2.2 mi warmup and then multiple passes by where my camera was setup led to 2.75mi total.

Tuesday got my long run in finally. Met up with Yvonne, seems like its been forever since we got to run together. Since I'm really trying to prep for an upcoming 18mi race I needed to do a little bit more mileage than she wanted to do. So before she got there, and after the run, I got in a little extra mileage on my own. 16.4 miles total. Pretty slow pace though, and I'm a bit sore this morning. Not really a good sign. But I fully admit I am not in long distance shape this year, and will likely just run this race for fun and not try and kill myself out there. Celebrated my longest run of the year so far with a homemade pizza margherita with fresh tomatoes and basil from the garden and glass of Ommegang Hennepin. Cheers!
cheers.gif

Where has the day gone? I went to my rowing class, tonight, in San Francisco. The meter said I went the equivalent of 4500M on a Concept II machine over a 25 min period with five intervals - 4 min of rowing and 1 min of rest. It's a great whole body and cardio workout. Makes me sweat like nothing else, especially within the confines of a studio space where you are rowing with nine other people.

When I was done, it was still pretty light out so I meandered my way down to the Ferry Building and the Embarcadero. Once I got there, I found a little shop in the Ferry Building a got a little health food snack. After the bit of a recharge, I shucked my NB Minimus and went for a run on Embarcadero with the SF Bay to my left. The weather was really mild, not the typical cold SF summer day, so there were lots of people out strolling. Went under the Bay Bridge. When I arrived at Giants stadium, I went all the way around and for the return trip to the Ferry Building. Added another 3 mi to this morning's short run.

A week ago Saturday my husband and 3 of our girls took me on a treacherous hike at elevation which kind of wiped me out for the following week. There was a lot of incline, hot sun, and slippery surfaces in that 5 hours. On top of that, I was fighting a bit of a virus the end of that same week, so I took about 4 days off from anything very strenuous.

BUT - This week, I am pleased to be doing fine. I began with 10 miles barefoot run on Monday and ended feeling strong. I tried a yoga class for the first time, but it was too boring. It was a "gentle, restorative" class. I can just go home and lay around on the floor listening to new age music without paying for it.

Tuesday was spin bike in the early AM and then an evening swim 26.5 minutes straight in my current generator.

Wednesday, I ran 6.2 miles barefoot, and swam 15 minutes. It was also a very active garden day, plus helped dear hubby with painting the eaves. A few more days of that to come soon.

Thursday, I started the day with 2 miles on hills in my Luna's. Spin biking and yard work are also on the schedule, in spite of the 0ver 100°F weather. I will be drinking lemonade!

Where has the day gone? I went to my rowing class, tonight, in San Francisco. The meter said I went the equivalent of 4500M on a Concept II machine over a 25 min period with five intervals - 4 min of rowing and 1 min of rest. It's a great whole body and cardio workout. Makes me sweat like nothing else, especially within the confines of a studio space where you are rowing with nine other people.
I think I both like & dislike the rowing machine in equal measure -probably because it definitely does give you a good work out!
No miles for me this week so far -just more physio :( Fingers crossed for next week though...

Reactions: happysongbird
I can just go home and lay around on the floor listening to new age music without paying for it.
clappy_zpsde7a1b1b.gif
I almost just spit out my beer. Love it songbird!

Since my long run Tuesday I took it easy on the running legs and spent some time on the bike. About 23mi in Tuesday evening, got home right as the top part of the sun was about to flicker out for the evening.

Today I decided to go on a bit of an adventure and headed down to the city on the bike. Unfortunately the Ohio to Erie Trail has a big gap south of my house, and biking an extra 15 miles twice, on 55mph roads wasn't appealing and was pushing my time and physical limits. I needed to stop at the grocery store anyhow, which was only a few miles from where the trail picked back up so I drove there and then got on the bike and took the trail into Columbus and all the way to the Easton mall and watched Mission Impossible, then biked back. I planned some excursions on the return trip but was running too late and took the most direct route and wasted no time. Round trip was about 37 miles in 2:48. Lots of road crossings when I got into town slowed me down quite a bit. First time I ever really biked in the city and had to deal with crossing busy streets and such. So glad I live out here, but was a great trip and nice to do every once in a while.

Oh and some good sweat sessions putting in insulation in the attic the last couple days too. Will spend most of tomorrow doing that again, then I start 4 nightshifts tomorrow night. :(

Which part do you dislike? I would rather be outdoors but it's not a convenient option.
It's not really a serious dislike -said more 'tongue in cheek' than anything. As you say, it gives you an excellent cardio workout and does make you sweat like nothing else.
I've been using a rower (same version as you -Concept II) for a while now. I tend to do steady 30 minute sessions. -The first 5 or 6 minutes is usually the worst for me (that's probably the bit I dislike!), while I'm settling into a rhythm and coming to terms with still having the majority of the hard work ahead of me! Great feeling when you finish though. I've often wondered if anyone else uses it for training -good to know I'm not the only one...

Great feeling when you finish though. I've often wondered if anyone else uses it for training -good to know I'm not the only one...

You are not alone!! And It is a great feeling when you are done!!

I have been taking a weekly class with about ten other rowers. The instructor rowed in college and tried out for the U.S. Olympic team. He follows a structured workout resembling the synchronization of team rowing. I have trained moderately with weights for years and only added running since january and rowing since mid-last year. If not for running barefoot, I would probably not keep it up.

Reactions: Tedlet
I almost didn't go this morning. But I did go out for my Friday morning run after all. Pushing myself, I managed to get to 6.9 miles. During the run, a guy stared at my bare feet as I approached him and said something interesting which I vowed to put into this report. But after a beer with co-workers and wine with dinner, I can't seem to recall the man's remarks!! Maybe I will remember tomorrow.

I am obsessed. Went for a 2.4 mile run yesterday, Saturday, before working out at the gym. Then walked barefoot through the farmers market for another 2 miles before getting home.

This morning, I went out for another run to the lake and through the neighborhood. The annual dragon boat race was being held at the Lake Merritt boat house. Lots of young people and observers had congregated around the facility to watch dragon boat teams from around the region compete. I didn't stick around. . But I did finish 7.0 miles by the time I got home. My feet are slightly tender and my ankles are a little stiff but I think I am doing pretty well.

Monday - 3 easy miles, sandals, still very sore from the weekend

Wednesday - 5 barefoot miles. Finally. Happy to report that I have not lost any foot conditioning. Conditions were a little rough (gravel, crop stubble, weeds), but I enjoyed the freedom.

Friday - 20 shod miles. Another mountain adventure. Tried to find a little used trail in a wilderness area. Nice trail head, with a numbered sign. Good trail for about a mile then the trail disappears. But we trudge on because my friend has a fancy app on his phone that shows position and tracking. Start crawling through the scrub and overgrowth, find hints of a trail occasionally. Deviate from the trail for several miles because a wash was better than the brush. Then had to climb out of the wash through more brush to get back to the trail. Vote to turn around, get over ruled, because technology will get us out of there. Springs were dry. Out of water. Get to the next trail head. This was a better trail, but was a 2000 ft climb in 3.5 miles. Slowed to a crawl because of no water. Also, can't eat dry food with no water. Get most of the climb over and into a more forest area. Resorted to sucking moisture out of a mushroom. Get to a trail junction, fancy app tells us to go left. I wanted to go right. Trail was ok for a mile. Finally downhill and had some cloud cover. Then the trail disappears into a ravine that is choked with dead fall. Over, under, around, on trees. Felt like American Ninja Warrior, but in my dehydrated state, I probably would not have qualified for the show. App shows that the main (more used trail) that we want to get to is fairly close. Up and over a ridge, hit the main trail and cruised downhill to water. About four miles more on a waterlogged stomach. Total time 11 HOURS!!
Had a great time. Worried the wives, we are both in the dog house for a while. Good learning experience. Was not good to run out of water, but I did not feel we were in danger. We had cover and could have slowed our pace even more. Could have taken more breaks in the shade. But the main thing is that fuel is useless without water.

Finished up my week doing nightshifts, and a short run in before work Saturday and short bike ride today. Nothing much to write home about. But at least this week I got a run or ride in every single day, not very often that happens.

Week totals are 26mi running, 71.5mi cycling, all barefoot of course. Seems like I'll never even break 30 miles this year. :rolleyes:

Had a lightning run on Friday. There was light rain out, and I figured I could use a run after a long week. Was going fine until the storm got closer. Sprinted home, and 30min later the lights started flickering with the local lightning strikes. :D

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts