Mileage reporting week 20 of 2016

happysongbird

Chapter Presidents
Jul 1, 2011
Nampa, Idaho
dailyimprovisations.com
My two barefoot 6.5 mile runs have gone very well this week. Absolutely no trouble with my ankle. Did gag pretty badly on a bug once on today's run.:eek:

Have to go on a weekend canoe trip (I will just be decorative or comic relief if I try to use the oars), but I think I can still manage to try a long run again on Friday.

12.3 miles barefoot this week. Won't be able to get out till the weekend, but me paws could do with a rest before the long run so it's all good.:)

Nothing wrong with bugs happysongbird, it's all extra protein.;) I ran through a mayfly hatch a few weeks back, which was interesting, can't see what the trout see in them they all taste like chicken.:chicken:

Nice 5 mile run Tuesday. Slight drizzle.
I heard one owl which was cool.
about mile 4 the drizzle turned into light rain for the last mile (felt good)

Monday was coming off my last nightshift, and I slept all the way till I had to get my son from school. Ended up not doing anything. Got runs in Tuesday and Wednesday, 7.4 and 6.2 miles. Tuesday went at a pretty good pace, rest of the week I am going to take it easy, prepping for a 10k Saturday. I'll just try to get a few easy miles in after work today and maybe just a walk or mile or two tomorrow. It's the time of year that these white and purple flowers that grow wild alongside the trail are in bloom. I'll have to upload a photo, would like to know what they are.

I wore my Salomon s-lab ultra set race vest with 1.5 litres of water, two .5 litre soft flasks in the front and one in the back for a top-up should I need it. I don't even notice I'm wearing it, the best bit of kit I've ever purchased, no sloshing or movement at all. A bit expensive but worth every penny imo, I also have the 12l pack that I use when the weather is colder and I need to carry more kit.
I want to respond but not bring up the past thread since we are already on week 20 so I'll just quote you into this one. Looks like a nice hydration vest! When you mentioned full pack my head tends to think something not designed for running. Being a big time backpacker a full pack to me is about 30-40 lbs, not something I want to go running in. For running I have a Nathan HPL 020 vest I like a lot too, but not full. It holds 2l in the back bladder and that is just a little too much bouncing around. Well it doesn't bounce too bad, but I can feel the bulge. I rarely need more than 1L in the back unless it's a real long run on a hot summer day. On the front pockets I put my phone on one side and usually snacks on the other. Maybe having the water more evenly distributed would be better. With water bottles all around, does your vest still have reachable spots for phone and snacks?

Last edited:
Does your vest still have reachable spots for phone and snacks?

Not including the bottle pockets there are a total of eight pockets on my 3l training pack, plenty of room for a days outing. The only issue I had is with a strong chlorine taste from the bottles when I first got it, but that's gone now after numerous washes and freezing them with lemon juice inside.
With front pockets you know exactly how much water you have left, also the weight is on the front which is more suited to a slight forward lean and good running form. I don't really like to recommend things as we all have different needs, but since you asked I love this pack, It seems to be very popular with the ultra crowd and it weighs next to nothing.

Fairly busy week this week (workwise rather then running!), so wasn't able to do my normal mid-week session:mad:.
Did manage to sneak in a quick 4.5km this morning however. -Nice and steady route around the lake. Lots of people out and about quite early today -dog walkers, runners, bin-men, etc... so lots of 'good mornings' again.
Even though it was only a short run it still managed to clear my head -felt quite 'chilled' when I finished (I like the way it does that...:)).

Ran 10k race yesterday, PR'd, finally broke the 40 minute barrier!!
party0031_zpsa09bd8ce.gif

Will post a bit of a write up in the race section once the pics are available. Not much mileage this week because of the race, but hope to get a short run in after work today so I'll update the total later.

@skedaddle if I decide to ever replace my nathan vest, I'll most likely consider the one you have, thanks for the info.

I was only able to get in 8.2 more miles this week, for a total of 23.2. The run Friday was in the drenching rain around 48°F. I got pretty chilled after 7 miles, with my clothing being absolutely saturated, and decided more than 8 would be unnecessarily stressing my body. As it was, I had to warm up gently in the shower in lukewarm water.

But I was fine for our canoe adventure the next day. There was a group of us, but each couple had their own canoe. My husband is very patient with me and with his coaching I actually paddled quite a lot in useful ways. Of course, it was really his strength and skill that made most of the difference, but it is about a 16 foot aluminum canoe and took some effort to maneuver. I am happy to say I am only moderately sore from doing that for 7 hours on a very twisty, high-flowing creek. We had several close calls nearly tipping, but stated dry to the end. Another couple did capsize about 5 hours into the trip and the gal got quite chilled. There was no way to get out early. I'll probably get around to posting a youtube showing some of it, but since I only had a hand held camera, most of the footage is during peaceful segments. :D

So... I may have gone crazy this week.

My goal was to run 13 miles this week... and I started out ok. 2 miles on Tuesday. It was a tempo run, and I did well. Was happy with my speed. Then the next day, I decided to test my endurance after last weeks' surprise 10k run. Well.... 7.5 miles. so after that I was basically already done with my mileage goals... and still had three days of running left. So I said to hell with it and just ran what I felt like doing the next two days. Took Yesterday off and went hiking (Also went hiking on Wednesday for a grand total of 11.5 miles that day). So after hiking to the top the remnants of an ancient Andesitic Volcano, my hiking buddy (who will probably never run because reasons) kept on daring me to run down parts of the trail. I took her bet, and it was okay.

So this morning... when a buddy of mine who recently ran a 60 mile race asked if I wanted to do some elevation training with him.... I decided to do it. And thus we began our 9.5 mile trek up two local mountains, both of which I had hiked barefoot earlier in the week.

I nearly tried to run them barefoot... but I decided that I'm not ready for heavily rocky trails barefoot. and I'm glad I cheated and used the vibrams, it was interesting to remember how much I can just ignore the ground relative to being barefoot, and how much technical stuff I can do without fear when wearing some coverings. All in all I did very well. I had to walk a ton of the distance on the mountains, but even my buddy had to walk some, and there are parts where you literally just can't because the rocks are so close together. I think I probably ran about 90 percent of the first one, and about 65 percent of the second (I didn't make it to the top before my buddy caught me, but I did keep up with him on the way down). So This week was a grand total of 25.7 miles of running (maybe 1 to 2 of that turned into hiking) and 7.5 miles of hiking. So that blows next week out of the water... because next week was supposed to be my test week, where I see if I can actually do 20 miles and not die... Will have to re-evaluate.

25.7 miles running, 7.5 miles hiking, 33.2 miles total. I'm extremely proud of this. I didn't think I would get to the point where I could this so fast (Of course it could always come back to bite me next week ;) )

Easy week with just one easy 3 km run on Saturday. A group of barefoot runners met up in a park in central Madrid to share our experience and enjoy some barefoot jogging. When you run alone people usually don't care, but when you get a horde of barefoot runners people is going to notice :D Reactions were mostly positive, though.

Sounds great @Wanderer Jiyuren I wish I had some mountains nearby, one day I plan on moving back by the mountains. I don't even have a small hill really. Just be careful not to overdo it!

@happysongbird hope you were able to enjoy the canoe trip, sounds like a really long one for your first though! I love canoeing and even planning on trying to make my own skin on frame ultralight canoe sometime when I get caught up on things to do.

As for me I ended up with a bit more mileage than I thought this past week, since I was taking it easy for the weekend race. I went out after work last night for a recovery run, walked a 1/2 mile then ran 4, and finished with another half mile walk. So week total for me 27 miles running and 6.3 miles walking. Still a little stiff... I had planned to do a big bike ride tomorrow... shooting for my first 100 miler. But with stiff legs and back today, and not sure if my energy reserves are fully recovered, I'm not so sure about it anymore. But I'll likely try, and being an out and back I can always trim it down.

@happysongbird hope you were able to enjoy the canoe trip, sounds like a really long one for your first though! I love canoeing and even planning on trying to make my own skin on frame ultralight canoe sometime when I get caught up on things to do.

Though it was on the long side, it was not by any means my first time in a canoe. :) My dad has owned this canoe since I was in about 12 years old. I just don't think I'm very good at it, although after watching the newbies, I felt more confident in my own abilities...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test