Mileage Reporting Week 16 (Apr 17-Apr 23)

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
Finally back into regular running after I wrecked my ankle last November. You know how people tell you not to jump into water if you can't see the bottom - that's good advice. :)

Anyway, I'll kick this one off with 8km along the beach yesterday morning. I'm still not quite there in terms of pace - I still don't have the full range of movement in my ankle that I had before and my running doesn't seem quite so 'springy' yet, but small steps are good and I'm happy to be out running again.

I seem to remember that somebody worked out how many degrees of flexibility you need at the ankle to run barefoot - does anybody know that off the top of their heads?

Reactions: Tedlet and Tristan
5 mile run Tuesday at 5:00 am it had just rained most of the night. Some puddles here and there
We saw a screech owl sitting on a wire(probably hunting the field below)

Reactions: Tedlet and Tristan
Its been a couple weeks... well this week was a good one, first race of the year! Well I didn't race it, but I paced Yvonne at the Earth Day Challenge 1/2 marathon. 1:51:09 her fastest time at the EDC and second fastest half I think! Was a good workout for me too! The big one is coming up next weekend though, Capital City 1/2 which I want to really do well, so this was a good last training run but I hope I recover quick enough (never done two within a week I don't think). My pie in the sky goal this year is to break 1:30 but I doubt it will happen this soon in the season, only done just a few speed workouts starting a month or so ago. I'll be super happy if I break 1:35 again!

35.8 miles total this week, 2.6 were walking.

I seem to remember that somebody worked out how many degrees of flexibility you need at the ankle to run barefoot - does anybody know that off the top of their heads?

Larry good to see you back after your problems. Unfortunately I don't recall what your talking about so I can't be of much help. I'll say though that my ankle flexibility isn't much though I'm not really sure never been professionally tested or anything but just compared to my Ex my range of motion was much less. I usually run smooth paved rail trails so maybe this is just not a problem. I do notice the few times I run a trail if I hit a bump or a rock sticking up higher than I realize to where my foot rolls sideways that it does feel like I strain it very easily with the rolling motion. I think my flexibility has improved in the last few years though. When I am doing the really rough trails it's usually hiking at a slow pace where I can more carefully focus on my footing and have hiking poles to take some of the load.

Reactions: Tedlet and Larry