Mileage Reporting 9th Week of 2013

Am in a time warp due to travel, so not sure which week it is for me... yesterday put in many paces at SFO because our flight was late and we missed connections, but there was a definite lack of signs for customer service. When we finally found it, they already had us booked for another flight and it all went smooth from there.

Did a lot of isotonic flexing in my seat and some weird moves in the aisle that made people give me funny looks, but I have trouble with my legs swelling some on these long flights. No one else walking around barefoot either, so that didn't help my "image."

Hubby and I will be trying our first trip on the high speed rail this afternoon to visit spoonerweb and family in southern Taiwan! Might get in a run here in Taipei first, if we can find the river greenbelt without getting lost.

2 mi early afternoon sunny and mid 20s
1.5 mi with kids about an hour later---they both had great attitudes this time. we giggled, did pretend relay 'races' and a weird spontaneous form of forward only tag. Kept pace up just a bit above usual, but the variation in speeds was kind of fun for me too.
My daughter got a side stitch at one point, stretched and rested a few seconds, and was back at it. Some days that derails the whole run, tears and the whole bit, but not even a side stitch got her down today.

1.5 hr swim: 1 hr lessons, half hour horsing around and some more laps. worked on backstroke more, lots of drills. instructor had me use fins and paddles at different times and whew that's addictive. At least the paddles punish you immediately for entering the hands in the water incorrectly, so we can pretend like that helped me learn something.

Reactions: Sid and scedastic
So you're running 70+ mpw every week, Chris? Just for the hell of it? Hardcore :matey:
It's a great deal more pleasant than using the subway!

(I don't quite average that much and there are a lot of purposeless fun miles in there, rather than commuting fun, and I do use the subway a few times a week most weeks.)

Riding a bike, that distance, has none of the health benefits of running it as there is so much "stop-and-go."

Wow, just realized I have not been on here for a while, life has been a little crazy to say the least. Well at least running is still happening as I am currently on Day 66 in a row. Have logged over 420 miles so far this year including my 120km ultra across the prairies a few weeks ago.

2.5 lunchtime before leaving for swim

some abs, glutes and a few arm exercises, but not too much, to save my upper body for swim late

~50 min swim, a lot of it dealing with families and adults not accustomed to pool safety rules. Different lifeguards and low enforcement levels. After about an hour, and after some guy jumps right in and does three to a lane right in between some lady and my daughter doing a lap, we left. My girl was surprised to see someone pass her and nearly collide with her, but then it was chaotic atmosphere, so we bailed and headed for the showers and a middle eastern restaurant with hot tea, cozy pillow seating nooks, baba ganoush, hummus and shawarmah.

For my Sunday, we walked quite a ways, and did stair repeats, taking the MRT (subway) and fast train to visit spoonerweb and his family in Kaohshiung, in southern Taiwan. We also visited a fun island that he and his wife recommended. It was like a Chinese version of Balboa in southern CA. Had some good seafood for dinner!

spoonerweb says I can now be an honorary member of the Taiwan chapter (aided by the fact that we did live there a short while a few years ago.)

Here I am with spoonerweb.
Laura and spoonerweb.jpg

For my Sunday, we walked quite a ways, and did stair repeats, taking the MRT (subway) and fast train to visit spoonerweb and his family in Kaohshiung, in southern Taiwan. We also visited a fun island that he and his wife recommended. It was like a Chinese version of Balboa in southern CA. Had some good seafood for dinner!

spoonerweb says I can now be an honorary member of the Taiwan chapter (aided by the fact that we did live there a short while a few years ago.)

Here I am with spoonerweb.
View attachment 1716

I love seeing pictures of fellow members!

Reactions: happysongbird
I love seeing pictures of fellow members!
Yah, that's pretty cool. I can hardly wait to meet Dutchie and Dama this summer. You're all chipmunks as far as I'm concerned, until I meet you in (non-chipmunk) person.

Also, at the risk of confusing Scedastic, I should report that I finished the ninth week with two st sessions, which I innovated a bit. I kept all the stuff that works the the legs, like the squats, deadlifts, and leg extensions in Friday's Back ST workout, two days before my 'long' run on Sunday, and then on Saturday I did the back stuff that I took out of Friday's ST workout, which doesn't tax the legs much, like rows, hip thrusts, kettlebell swings, back extensions, and the like. Finally, I took a lot of leg-intensive plyo stuff from what used to be Saturday's Bottom ST workout, and combined them with Friday's ST stuff, for a new version of my 'Bottom' ST workout. Saturday is now the new 'Back' ST day.

This solved two problems for me: one, I don't like to do leg stuff the day before a regular run, because it makes my legs feel heavy. Two, I don't like taking rest days, but was always looking for stuff that wouldn't interfere with the next day's run. I kept missing my plyo day for that reason, but now I've taken a bunch of the plyo-type exercises and combined them with the weights stuff that work the legs and glutes, for a workout two days before the next run.

Does anyone care? Probably not, but I've become such an obsessive documentarian here, I thought I might mention it. Has anyone else had trouble running the day after doing squats or other leg/glute work?

So now the (idealized) weekly routine is:

Su: Macro-run
M: ST Front & micro-run
Tu: Meso-run (Intervals/Hills/Fartleks)
W: ST Top & micro-run
Th: Meso Run (Tempo/Cruise Intervals)
F: ST Bottom & micro-run
Sa: ST Back & mini-run

Unfortunately, I didn't motivate for my micro-runs on either Friday or Saturday, opting to cook dinner early on Friday and go sledding with my toddling son on Saturday instead. My legs did feel a bit tight beginning Sunday's run, so I guess there is value in doing the short micro-runs on my ST days.

Does anyone care? Probably not, but I've become such an obsessive documentarian here, I thought I might mention it. Has anyone else had trouble running the day after doing squats or other leg/glute work?
I like seeing what you and everyone else do, it helps give me ideas of stuff I may want to incorporate into my workouts. I tend to have a really hard time running the next day after a leg workout too. Not sure how much running I'm going to be doing going forward though. My hamstring injury seems to be getting worse although my heel seems to be improving. I may just stick to the bike and ST for awhile, although on my back/leg days I may also stop doing deadlifts. Deadlifts seem to really aggravate my hamstring really bad. Man, it seems as if it's not one thing it's another. Starting to wonder if I'll ever be healthy.

I like seeing what you and everyone else do, it helps give me ideas of stuff I may want to incorporate into my workouts. I tend to have a really hard time running the next day after a leg workout too. Not sure how much running I'm going to be doing going forward though. My hamstring injury seems to be getting worse although my heel seems to be improving. I may just stick to the bike and ST for awhile, although on my back/leg days I may also stop doing deadlifts. Deadlifts seem to really aggravate my hamstring really bad. Man, it seems as if it's not one thing it's another. Starting to wonder if I'll ever be healthy.
Yah, that's the spirit in which I intend these things, but I wonder if it comes off as being narcissistic sometimes, since I tend to write so much. I too really enjoy hearing what everyone's up to, even if it doesn't directly apply to my approach or goals, and I've learned a lot and have incorporated a lot of other people's ideas.

Sorry to hear of your continuing ordeal. I think taking several weeks to a month off from running might be a good idea for you. And I would definitely consider staying away from deadlifts if your hamstring is giving you trouble, although I've found sometimes a lighter version of a st exercise helps get the blood flowing to the injured area. Last year when I was having trouble with my left shoulder, I would stop all st whenever it got sore, but I found working out just under the amount of weight that made it sore was actually more therapeutic, and after a month or two I could surpass the weight that used to bother it. But I know hamstrings can be pretty tricky, so I don't know if the same approach would apply. Anyway, hope you're better soon.

Reactions: Sid
Yah, that's the spirit in which I intend these things, but I wonder if it comes off as being narcissistic sometimes. I too really enjoy hearing what everyone's up to, even if it doesn't directly apply to my approach or goals, and I've learned a lot and have incorporated a lot of other people's ideas.

Sorry to hear of your continuing ordeal. I think taking several weeks to a month off from running might be a good idea for you. And yah, I would definitely stay away from deadlifts if your hamstring is giving you trouble, although I've found sometimes a lighter version of a st exercise helps get the blood flowing to the injured area. Last year when I was having trouble with my left shoulder, I would stop all st whenever it got sore, but I found working out just under the amount of weight that made it sore was actually more therapeutic, and after a month or two I could surpass the weight that used to bother it. But I know hamstrings can be pretty tricky, so I don't know if the same approach would apply. Anyway, hope you're better soon.
Ya, I already do pretty light weight as it is just because of my back and my fears of hurting my back. The hamstring problem has bothered me for several months, although it's been pretty mild. After Thursdays leg workout and then Fridays stretching I really aggravated it and had a heck of a time just moving around. Hopefully cutting out all running and just biking will help to keep the legs from getting so tight that I need to stretch the hamstrings. I think once the hamstring heals fully I will be ok to start stretching them again. Scares me to stop doing that while still doing my other stuff though. Afraid I will cause myself an imbalance.

Reactions: Bare Lee
Has anyone else had trouble running the day after doing squats or other leg/glute work?
I try to avoid running if my legs are already sore, unless I'm doing some sort of recovery run or trying to reach some sort of arbitrary goal or such.
Yah, that's the spirit in which I intend these things, but I wonder if it comes off as being narcissistic sometimes, since I tend to write so much.
Nah, this is the mileage forum, which mean it's specifically for posting stuff like this to keep it out of the general forum where no one wants to read this stuff. The fact that we're reading this forum, means that we choose to listen to all of the babbling about dogs, frostbite, scruffs, scraps, random musings, weather announcements, snowfall reports, swim stories, etc.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test