Mileage Reporting 9th Week of 2013

Crazy non-route run today, wound up looping around and getting lost, basically in my neighborhood. Came out of the woods one time in a completely different area than I expected. But it was pretty fun, if difficult getting though ankle-deep wet snow and hidden ice, and mud ... Temps just above the freezing point.

Was wearing shorts, and running in my Breathos with no socks/insoles. Got 375 km ytd and I think that makes about 400km on the shoes, and they're doing fine, still can't find anything negative to say about them.

Anyway...

26km in 2:35 run time (10 minute total pause time looking for the dog, taking pics, etc), 400m climb. Felt better the second half than the first, a good sign, and finished up feeling ... basically nothing. Another really good sign :)

Brings us to just over 50k for the week, in only two runs, lol.

Here's a pic, guess what this is:

48870495_1362142395456.jpg

1.73 miles plus an hour of the p90-x stretching video afterwards. Foot is feeling ok but I am really hating running in overly bulky shoes. Really seems to make me have leg pains, muscle cramps, what have you around the 1 mile mark. Foot still feels pretty good though, so that is a positive thing. A little tender but overall not too bad. Trying to keep with the shoes per the PT's advice until my foot is healed, but it is dang hard and really depressing. I'm remembering my old Army days and how much I disliked running then. Not sure why running in these shoes is so much worse than even my vff speeds. They weigh pretty close to each other, maybe an ounce or two different. The only thing I can think of is the bulkiness and inflexibility of them. I even took the hacksaw to the soles this morning and siped them for added flexibility and it didn't help a whole lot. I wonder if it just comes down to how the weight is distributed ON the foot. They do feel really bulky and I tend to trip a lot when walking in them.

20 minute swim this morning. achy. water didn't feel right, everything was a little off. getting sick.
spouse has been coughing, hacking and sneezing over every surface at home this last week and a half, so it was inevitable (apparently cover the cough applies only to children :shifty: )

afterwards, I somehow managed to run about 6.5-7ish miles, slowly, but measured neither speed nor distance, so can't say for sure. just ran around campus and a nearby paved trail. moc3s, temps in the mid-upper 20s.

a very few abs and arm weights at gym before giving up and showering. this morning's three fold workout was supposed to be more enthusiastic, but not bad for aches, fever and chills.

I haven't come down with the full fledged bubonic plague yet, hoping to stave it off by some magic. better magic than worked for the medieval europeans,

1.73 miles plus an hour of the p90-x stretching video afterwards. Foot is feeling ok but I am really hating running in overly bulky shoes. Really seems to make me have leg pains, muscle cramps, what have you around the 1 mile mark. Foot still feels pretty good though, so that is a positive thing. A little tender but overall not too bad. Trying to keep with the shoes per the PT's advice until my foot is healed, but it is dang hard and really depressing. I'm remembering my old Army days and how much I disliked running then. Not sure why running in these shoes is so much worse than even my vff speeds. They weigh pretty close to each other, maybe an ounce or two different. The only thing I can think of is the bulkiness and inflexibility of them. I even took the hacksaw to the soles this morning and siped them for added flexibility and it didn't help a whole lot. I wonder if it just comes down to how the weight is distributed ON the foot. They do feel really bulky and I tend to trip a lot when walking in them.
Seems like the shoes you're wearing now are not working for you. I get that you are feeling the need for more protection, but it would stink to cause a new niggle from the shoes not feelign right.
Are you using a shoe that inflexible per recommendation, or is it just a min shoe you tried and are learning you don't like, but are stuck with b/c they cost mega--$$?

Are you using a shoe that inflexible per recommendation, or is it just a min shoe you tried and are learning you don't like, but are stuck with b/c they cost mega--$$?
They are a low drop shoe I had that happens to have a bit of cushion and are not very flexible for times when I need a shoe. Unfortunately I am finding they really are not my favorite running shoe. I really would like to find a shoe that fits my funky wide feet that is in between an altra adam and say the minimus zero in cushioning. Unfortunately, I really can't think of any, at least not that fit right for me, never mind the fact that they would cost money I really don't have. Also, a lot of the shoe companies here are dropping minshoes so it's hard finding them to try on. I am trying really hard to follow the advice for a cushioned shoe for right now, but it's no fun when you can't finish a measly 2 mile run.

The week's not over until...tomorrow, for me. BUT - earlier this week I started doing wide-stance squats. A lot of them. And interestingly, they twisted my left hip back where it belongs -and I felt like I could handle pavement- it felt THAT aligned! Pavement will just exacerbate my imbalances, but they were virtually gone...so...I ran 1.5 miles yesterday (split up into .5 and 1), throughout the day, and I felt great! I also did some stairs and yoga and a buttload of wide-stance squats, both before, during, and after my run (s). I felt great. Slept great. Woke up and still felt great. Hardly even a sore muscle (though day 2 is when I usually feel that). So, the only way to avoid day 2, is to make it day 1 all over again. So today...I ran 4 miles on mostly pavement. I stopped periodically throughout the run whenever I felt my hip twisting out of place, and dropped and did 10 wide-stance squats. I felt awesome after that run, and still do. SO awesome, in fact, that I am going trail running tomorrow. Ya, take that! Just cause I have to do 1,000,000 wide-stance squats a day...lol. Actually, I am seeing my prolotherapist Monday to get my joints shot full of my own plasma -I'm going to have him work on my glute ligaments on my bad hip side. Thanks to Dr. Stoxen -and Mike pointing this out- I have discovered that probably most of my hip problems are actually coming from weak glute ligaments. I should have those under control within a month. I have never had them injected, but I worked out these trigger points that Mike told me about, and holy crap! It TOTALLY relieved my entire hip, which has been fired up ever since I have been unable to run trails as frequently. Wow this is way too long.

11.04 miles, 10.02 steady pace, mainly trails so shod for most of it.
I always find the first longer runs of the year tough going, before the winter I could put in a 20 mile run without much thought, dagnabit!
I know I'm gonna feel it tomorrow, the trails I run are quite technical and use muscles in a different way than repetitive winter road running, lots of lateral movement, jumping, bobbing, weaving, ducking and a diving.
Oh the pain, the pain, why oh why do I keep coming back for more ;)

55min in the pool. Nice workout. Had some decent energy. I think that my nutrient timing strategy is working. However, I had some whey powder before the pool. Not a good idea, as it want to come up while I was in the pool. A little vomit in the mouth, but none in the pool.

I was hungry after working out, so the bagel went down easy. Also was thirsty, so afterwards would have been a good time to do the protein powder. Eh, live and learn. Next time.

Week started slow with travel time and a sore back. Week finished great with over 20 miles with some actual running miles. The walking and running really cured the back, saved a trip to the chiropractor.

Had my first shod running in 2 1/2 months. No issues, it was nice to give my soles a break from the gravel and stickers. I will have to be careful not to over do it in the shoes with a false sense of security. My primary purpose for the shoes (NB MT110 winter boots) is for snow hiking, I need to avoid running in them. Barefoot walk/run today to ease the barefoot purist in my mind.;)

Update on the heel, I do have an appointment next week. It is starting to feel better, slowly.

Great posts about the running with the kids. I offered several times this week for my wife to join me and this morning for my daughter to join me. No takers. My dogs never say no though and I even had my flock of chickens follow me to the front gate.

Finished the week with a 7.4 miler.

41.14 miles this week.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test