Mileage Reporting 8th Week of 2013

Yesterday ran 7 miles total, first 4 barefoot, last 3 in Moc3s. A sensation came and went in my left knee, but it didn't hurt to run, so I tried to work through it. Felt good, but then in the evening developed a funny feeling behind and to the side of that knee. It is hanging around today, but ebbs some. Sigh. It somewhat reminds me of what I felt when I tore the meniscus in that knee nearly 10 years ago. Maybe it is just flaring up and will go away.
Put in some arm work with the TRX, and some core exercises soon after the run.
Today I swam 35 minutes.

Almost forgot. I took a picture for BF Willie! Semi-arid high desert Idaho in February is pretty barren looking! There is a subdivision to the right and some fields before houses on the left. This is one of the nice sections of asphalt on the path.run Idaho greenbelt.jpg

Having a hard time finding motivation lately. I spent this past weekend up in Seattle to visit a friend of mine who is not doing so well and is at UWMC and it looks like I am going to be heading back this weekend too. Not to sure how much time he has left. Crazy to think he is 2 weeks older than me (35 yrs old) and he is near the end. We've been friends since the 3rd grade. Maybe tomorrow I will find the motivation to go to the gym or run.
I grieve for you Nick. It is a hard aspect of life.

Reactions: OdiarAmor and NickW
No problem really until some lady comes up and gets in our lane.
There certainly are some general guidelines about lap swimming.
Lap Swimming Etiquette 101

I haven't had any issues thus far, since I get there extra early and don't stay very long. Though, maybe people are more polite when everyone is paying money for a gym membership.

Is there anyone that you can talk to about this at the pool, if this happens again? The lifeguard?
Or steal her toys or towel!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Reactions: happysongbird
20min of the advanced exercises from Anatomy for Runners, which incorporates more balance and stability. I can definitely use more work on those. Glutes not too sore from yesterday and probably not as weak as I previously thought. (They've probably benefitted from all the stairmaster exercising that I used to do.)

Skipped the swim again today. Shoulders still a bit sore, and I'll get some exercise from snorkeling at Discovey Cove today.

There certainly are some general guidelines about lap swimming.
Lap Swimming Etiquette 101

I haven't had any issues thus far, since I get there extra early and don't stay very long. Though, maybe people are more polite when everyone is paying money for a gym membership.

Is there anyone that you can talk to about this at the pool, if this happens again? The lifeguard?
Or steal her toys or towel!

Most people are extremely nice about sharing the lane, especially during morning and midday sessions, which is why this surprised me. I think I've been going so often that I've begun sampling from the rare event "jerk" distribution. In fact, I've maybe seen that woman there only once before. The "regulars" tend to be friendly and patient.

It's the parallel of the once in a while jerk on the trail with a loose and aggressive dog. Every now and then, you get one without proper upbringing. I needed to vent about it for sure, though. Thanks for the sympathy. :)

If it happens again, I'll definitely just get out of the pool and tell a lifeguard. The one who was there yesterday was supportive, in fact suggested I simply say no to three in a lane if I didn't feel comfortable.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
20min of the advanced exercises from Anatomy for Runners, which incorporates more balance and stability. I can definitely use more work on those. Glutes not too sore from yesterday and probably not as weak as I previously thought. (They've probably benefitted from all the stairmaster exercising that I used to do.)

Skipped the swim again today. Shoulders still a bit sore, and I'll get some exercise from snorkeling at Discovey Cove today.

Yeah, I need to do more glute and leg exercises. My arms/shoulders/back are getting strong, but my legs are going soft. The swimming is a great compliment to running in that sense. Plain old kicking my way back and forth in the pool does work my hips, thighs and maybe glutes a bit, but not the same as running.

Reactions: Sid
30.94 miles this week.

14km today, very slow, I went out thinking I wouldn't be able to do much (still feeling my ankle from the interval runs on thursday). This is strange...I feel my ankle only when walking up the stairs...other than that it is fine, anyone experienced something similar ?

14km today, very slow, I went out thinking I wouldn't be able to do much (still feeling my ankle from the interval runs on thursday). This is strange...I feel my ankle only when walking up the stairs...other than that it is fine, anyone experienced something similar ?
My ankles will sometimes do some funny adjusting when I first begin a run, but either the kinks get worked out or I tweak my form to avoid the sensation or some combo of both. Usually it has something to do with trying to make sure I am running "lightly."

Last Sunday, went for a 2 hour barefoot hike on a muddy, but not too muddy, trail with my freeps (freaky/peeps). Tuesday I found new, fun trails in a nature park - about 10 miles worth. Being unfamiliar, I brought my Mocs, but ditched them and walked about 1/2 mile barefoot and ran about 1/2 mile barefoot. It's hard to find nature trails that are actually DIRT, in this part of town, so I was pretty stoked. Also, some of the trails went into the woods. The elevation of this park is pretty high and at the high point you can see all three of the largest, closest, snowy mountains. And part of it is a wildlife reserve as well! Then I swam twice this week, for about 30 minutes each time. I also did some strength exercises.

Oh, how could I forget? I tried to go out for an hour run on Thursday, on the trails. But it had been raining too much and it was literally like trying to move over at least an inch thick coat of oil. I literally slid about 10 feet straight down the beginning of the trail, and when I finally lodged myself against a mound of dirt, I then had to climb back up, off of the trail. I was pretty pissed off. I have just decided to wait until spring, when it starts to rain regularly, to run. I don't "do" pavement running, cuz it exacerbates my imbalances. This winter has sucked because it has been intermittently rainy, instead of constantly rainy -like last season. This has caused a lot of sticky, gooey, oily, clay-ish, mud. Impossible to run barefoot on, without dying on. It's fine if you can -run right after a long, hard rain, when the nasty-ness has been washed away -but that's just not working out for me.

Decided I wanted to dance tonight, so didn't want to risk stressing the knee out before that. It was finally feeling good enough to feel safe to try dancing OR running, but not both in one day this time around. We got in a solid 1.5 hours of dancing, which is a lot like speed work out, with core exercises, the way I dance :). Stopped as soon as the knee began to feel odd, so I'm hoping that wasn't too much for it. Sure was fun! But my ears are ringing -

last night: second swim lesson ever, about 45 min.
Did 8-10 freestyle laps before my instructor got there, then worked on freestyle just a bit (he thought I'd made a lot of progress with it), and learnign backstroke. Learning the backstroke was leaving me exhausted (?), maybe getting the coordination right and beign stiff and anxious about something new again.
Tried getting breaststroke kick and it just wasn't happening, so we left that for another day. My instructor suggested working in some speed intervals to the front crawl.

2.23 miles with socks on. My left foot is a little sore but I feel good. I was slower than I was hoping to be but I blame that on forgetting to use my inhaler.