Mileage Reporting 8th Week of 2013

Kill the 7th week thread already! Lol

22 glorious km with my trusty little dog :)

20min swim on Sat. Went okay. Still wasn't getting across the pool. Upper body still a bit tweaky from pulling the serratus earlier in the week.
30min swim lesson on Sun, where the instructor pointed out that I was breathing too late in the stroke. That would explain why I was getting a mouthful of water when I was coming up for air. Serratus feels better, maybe was bad form that she corrected.

Swim instructor got a kick out of it when I told her that I was watching youtube for swimming form. However, I forgot to tell her it was a video of Ryan Lochte's backstroke. Gosh, he swims like a fish.
Lochte

I also think that I was starting to get swimmer's ear, so I'm bringing Q-tips with me now. New sport, new problems.

I also think that I was starting to get swimmer's ear, so I'm bringing Q-tips with me now. New sport, new problems.

I have to put swim ear in mine every time or else I can't hear for the rest of the day, or I get dizzy spells. If I look too closely at water, it jumps up and climbs into my ear canals.
A friend keeps saying "just get earplugs" Meh.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
About 27 freestyle laps! Some breaks for kicking and a feeble attempt at a backstroke in between, maybe 8-9 times across that way. Oh, and kids playing on the floating obstacle course kept using the lap lanes as a street crossing or a place to put errant floaties and balls. Hey kids, get that off my lawn!
Got some free form tips from the lifeguard. Apparently my arm crosses over my head during the stroke, with the right side as the biggest offender. Something to work on for tomorrow.

I have to put swim ear in mine every time or else I can't hear for the rest of the day, or I get dizzy spells.
Oh, good tip! Thanks! Looks like that stuff is just alcohol. I've got some 153 proof. Apparently, good for sanitizing the feet after a run and drying the ears. I wonder what else it might be good for?

My instructor mentioned something about ear plugs, but then I was wondering how I'd be able to hear her?

Sunday afternoon
4.36 mi / 7 km
1 mi shod in Aqua Lites, 3.36 miles bare
30 F / -1 C
15 F / -9.5 C windchill

I drove up to the fairgrounds instead of running there as warm-up because I needed to pick up some grocery supplies for my folks on the way back. Commuting to my run turned out to be advantageous for my running too, because I didn't have to run on the slushy sidewalks getting there.

Most of the fairgrounds roads were clear of slush, but still had a fair amount of wet sections. I ran the first mile shod, to make sure my feet were good and warmed up. My late-December frostnip mishap has made me much more cautious. Once nipped, twice shy, isn't that the expression? I don't want to do anything to put my ability to run bare at risk again.

After a mile I took off my shoes and just ran back and forth on a section of mostly dry asphalt about .4 miles long, on one of the main fairgrounds streets. I've concluded that I'm just not very good at running in shoes, even minimalist minimalist ones like the Aqua Lites. My form feels much better bare, and I seem to run at least 15 seconds per mile faster at a similar level of effort.

Perhaps I should adopt Dama's approach and run bare on a treadmill instead of shod outside when it gets too cold for bfr. Nah, I'd miss the outdoors too much. Pretty much the only times I get outside in the winter is to run or go sledding with the kids. Plus it was boring enough to run back and forth, back and forth, on the same section of road yesterday. The run began to drag on towards the end. I never get that 'how much longer?' interrogative feeling when I'm running a proper out-n-back.

Anyway, my nascent toe calluses felt fine after Thursday's somewhat bareful run, so I wanted to double the bareable distance, which I was able to do. My feet started to numb up, however, after about three miles bare (it gets pretty windy up by the top part of the fairgrounds), and my legs still felt a bit heavy after doing squats the day before, so I decided to cut the run short at that point. I had intended to run six miles or so, but couldn't bare the thought of putting the shoes back on for the last mile or so after experiencing the soleful pleasure of so much bfr for the first time in almost two months.

It was just as well, my left MCL is still a bit gimpy, so it was probably best not to push things, although it felt OK during the run. It did get a bit painful later though, while lying in bed, so hard to know exactly how to proceed. I think Willie is right that with at least some kinds of injuries, 'active recovery' is feasible, and I think this MCL tweak is one of those. It seems to be mostly sensitive to severe bending and lateral pressure, so I don't think running does it much harm.

Good to see Scedastic found the eighth week in a timely manner, and a belated congratulations on a 1000 messages!

It's fun reading about Sid, Scedastic, and HBS's swimming adventures. I'm enviously supportive of your multimodal aerobic fitness! I think perhaps I'll follow JT's example and take up tree climbing, to complement the swimming and complete our reporting set of physical fitness media modalities--land, water, air. I guess we'd still be missing fire as an essential element. Perhaps RP can figure out a way work that in. I'd pay good money to see it.

Hope Bob finished ultra early enough yesterday to beat the weather we have now. Snow and blowing snow, north winds of 60 km, poor visibility and the temperature dropped like a rock last night. More of a macro run of about 1 mile for me, jumping drifts did not feel that great on my back. Looks like I will be seeing my chiropractor tomorrow for a fix hopefully.

Running occurred yet again (well, on a treadmill) IN SPACETIME, that's where.

2 miles, treadmill at school, moc3s (gotta wear shoes at my university gym, but min shoes have so far not attracted attention---the toe shoes are allowed, but the moc3s really look like slippers). It felt fun to run again, EVEN on a treadmill. I was just so happy to feel my feet move that way.
Ankle? Not sure, it's not in pain, but there is still a weird difference when I touch the left side ankle bone vs. the right (left is owie side), and an odd feeling of tightness.
My current plan is to act like I just started running, do the whole every other day whoop-dee, a couple miles here and there as long as I'm not in pain, and I"m going to try a Lee experiment in speed: no miles slower than 9:30, most miles faster than 9:15, gradually working into the 8:30-8:00 range as long as no further hurties. Why? No reason. Just everyone I know runs faster than I do and if I'm not racking miles I may as well do something.

10-20 minutes kettlebell and weights this am in between herding kids and makign big special breakfast (waffles, blueberries, saugage, eggs with kalamata, red pepper, cauliflower, parsley, avocado).

A few more strength/ab exercises at the gym and at home.

35 min swim, working on form, getting my arms in the water sooner so they don't reach over my head, and keeping the pull smooth. Felt more rotation and different muscle groups, so maybe better. I was going to ask the lifeguard today how my form looked but she didn't look nearly as engaged as yesterday's guy. At least I wasn't sore from all the swimming yesterday.

20min swim. Pool says no diving. I'm not sure what the guy in the lane next to me was doing, but I get hit by a big splash and he's 10ft from the end of the pool. Cannonball? Honestly, I'm not sure what he's doing. I don't think that he's coming up for air at all. Plus, he swims with water shoes? Really? C'mon! (Well, unless he's got warts or something, then that's cool). As for me, practicing, just more practicing.

Oh yes, apparently it's allergy season here. Flonase, claritin, neti pot, and still congested. Awesome.

20min swim. Pool says no diving. I'm not sure what the guy in the lane next to me was doing, but I get hit by a big splash and he's 10ft from the end of the pool. Cannonball? Honestly, I'm not sure what he's doing. I don't think that he's coming up for air at all. Plus, he swims with water shoes? Really? C'mon! (Well, unless he's got warts or something, then that's cool). As for me, practicing, just more practicing.

Oh yes, apparently it's allergy season here. Flonase, claritin, neti pot, and still congested. Awesome.
Freaky dude.
I see the older ladies who do water aerobics use the water shoes. Lots of the ladies who lap swim also won't let their feet touch the floor (they either wear flip flops or water shoes everywhere). I get it, fungus amongus, but really, how artificial to SWIM with shoes on????

And sid, you, my floridian cousin, I hear ya on the allergies. Mine won't be around for a while, but I still gottta do all that stuff just to deal with mold and dust mite whatnots.
The good news? Whew, when I breathe wrong and water seeps up my nose, like free neti pot, right there! Eeeeew gross! but true.

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
Good to see Scedastic found the eighth week in a timely manner, and a belated congratulations on a 1000 messages!

It's fun reading about Sid, Scedastic, and HBS's swimming adventures. I'm enviously supportive of your multimodal aerobic fitness! I think perhaps I'll follow JT's example and take up tree climbing, to complement the swimming and complete our reporting set of physical fitness media modalities--land, water, air. I guess we'd still be missing fire as an essential element. Perhaps RP can figure out a way work that in. I'd pay good money to see it.

1. So when anyone asks about how much I"m running now, I'll let them know I'm experiencing "multimodal aerobic fitness"

2. I'm always on time, unless I'm late, which happens frequently. If I'm early, I'll find something else to do first.
One draw of academia; unless it's a grant proposal, late is normal. Ergo, I am normal. What were we talking about?

3. Don't you dare get me started on fire sports. Seriously, I think many of my ancestors must have died just after their last words of "hey guys, watch this"

Anyway, my nascent toe calluses felt fine after Thursday's somewhat bareful run, so I wanted to double the bareable distance, which I was able to do. My feet started to numb up, however, after about three miles bare (it gets pretty windy up by the top part of the fairgrounds), and my legs still felt a bit heavy after doing squats the day before, so I decided to cut the run short at that point. I had intended to run six miles or so, but couldn't bare the thought of putting the shoes back on for the last mile or so after experiencing the soleful pleasure of so much bfr for the first time in almost two months.

I have not been adding, but it seems to me like your mileage has been creeping up generally, yes?