Mileage Reporting 6th Week of 2013

Another slow run. My right calf is still a bit sore, so, at the risk of irritating my ITBs, I decided to run at Maf pace again. It worked; I logged another run without incident, and managed to knock off 30 secs per mile from Thursday's Maf run. I also ran a half-mile section bare, twice. Most of my fairground loop and the sidewalk there and back were still a mix of slush, snow, and wet pavement, but there was one section that was almost dry, so I took off my Moc3s and ran it bare. My index toes are still a bit sensitive from the mild frostnip of last week, when I cleared our car of snow and shoveled in bare feet, but the rest of my feet seem good to go. Man, if felt soooooooooo good to run bare. And I found myself running close to 9mm pace while bare, despite my sore right calf.

I seem to have a habit of reading Maf as Mike.

harassed how?

One of them was hanging his entire body out of the passenger window and yelled at me, "WHAT are you doing running with no shoes on?" and I just looked at them and they drove off. It was not the first time I've been yelled at by people driving by and unfortunately this wasn't the worst thing that's been said to me. The a-holes who said "Hey if you don't need shoes you don't need pants!" top the list.

One of them was hanging his entire body out of the passenger window and yelled at me, "WHAT are you doing running with no shoes on?" and I just looked at them and they drove off. It was not the first time I've been yelled at by people driving by and unfortunately this wasn't the worst thing that's been said to me. The a-holes who said "Hey if you don't need shoes you don't need pants!" top the list.

Klazzy with a capital K. It's just never occurred to me to shout stuff at people in the street. I'm almost curious at what point that sort of behavior seems like a good idea. Almost curious, but not quite.

Reactions: happysongbird
One of them was hanging his entire body out of the passenger window and yelled at me, "WHAT are you doing running with no shoes on?"
I used to be self-conscious and aggravated by other people's comments. Then I realized that their comments were more of a declaration about their own level of maturity and insecurities, rather than about me. Shortly thereafter, I realized that there sure are a lot of idiots in this world.

Such a fine line between harassment-curiosity-compliments. Every compliment I try to give comes out as harassment or being creepy. I tend to just be quiet out in public.

Can you expect any different behavior from teenage boys? At least the driver wasn't texting or tweeting or snap chatting your pic. I do feel for the female runner, you must have to deal with a lot of crap.

I had a driver lady taking a pic of me one day. I was shocked to see that and am pretty sure I ended up on her FB wall with a caption along the lines of, Look at the fat guy running with no shoes! ;)

I had a blog for a short time entitled Fat Girl Running

1:45 min of swim, with a few breaks to dive with my daughter, practice flipping in the shallow end (holy water up the nose, batman! thought i was blowing out the whole time...)
no idea how many laps. did a lap here and there, kicked across, then played w/ kids/ then did one of those side balance drills, then rinsed and repeated. Got my daughter to do about 4 laps with me, sharing a lane with a kind fella who had all kinds of lap swim toys (fins, and so on, who knows, i don't want to know, but the bag was full)
Finished with a few fun jumps off the diving board with my girl. Had to beg my daughter to do "just one more with me" then we could go. She was all "oh ok mom but just one more" so I guess I had fun, which was my goal for the afternoon.

sharing a lane with a kind fella who had all kinds of lap swim toys (fins, and so on, who knows, i don't want to know, but the bag was full)
Oh yeah, there was a fella today at my gym with some toys, too! First he's got a kickboard, and he does a few laps. Then, as I'm leaving, I see him pull out a snorkel and mask! Awesome! I went back to the gym later today to upgrade my membership and everyone was doubled up. Apparently, early morning is the time to go.

Oh yeah, there was a fella today at my gym with some toys, too! First he's got a kickboard, and he does a few laps. Then, as I'm leaving, I see him pull out a snorkel and mask! Awesome! I went back to the gym later today to upgrade my membership and everyone was doubled up. Apparently, early morning is the time to go.

I heard some guy on the you tube say that the floaty they stick between their thighs and just use arms to do freestyle, that's a crutch and don't use it cuz ur form won't be relying on your body position to lift your hips enough without the floaty.
Saw it on the internet, must be true.

Reactions: Sid
I heard some guy on the you tube say that the floaty they stick between their thighs and just use arms to do freestyle, that's a crutch and don't use it cuz ur form won't be relying on your body position to lift your hips enough without the floaty. Saw it on the internet, must be true.
Bah, breathing's a crutch, too! Just hold your breath. Actually, I think that I impressed the instructor a tiny bit today. She had me sit on the bottom of the pool and blow bubbles. The running's done a lot for my lung capacity, so I was down there for a while. She seemed a bit worried when I came back up, until she saw that I was okay. Then she said, "Good job! Now do it again!"

such a thoughtful comment.... :-/

Such a fine line between harassment-curiosity-compliments. Every compliment I try to give comes out as harassment or being creepy. I tend to just be quiet out in public.

Can you expect any different behavior from teenage boys? At least the driver wasn't texting or tweeting or snap chatting your pic. I do feel for the female runner, you must have to deal with a lot of crap.
My teenage sons never acted like that.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Just wondering, what do you think of this website? It seems to have some thoughtful suggestions/drills. Thanks!
I couldn't get all of the videos to run, but it looks like he has a lot of good advice. In a couple of the demos, his kick looked a bit "bicycling like" which is not effective. In fact, it creates drag and sometimes backward motion. I wondered if he was thinking so hard about demonsrating that he was exaggerating it.

Bah, breathing's a crutch, too! Just hold your breath. Actually, I think that I impressed the instructor a tiny bit today. She had me sit on the bottom of the pool and blow bubbles. The running's done a lot for my lung capacity, so I was down there for a while. She seemed a bit worried when I came back up, until she saw that I was okay. Then she said, "Good job! Now do it again!"
How close was she standing in the water while you were blowing bubbles up at her?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test