Mileage Reporting 5th Week of 2013

90min running, then some strength work at the gym followed by a visit to the spa/sauna. Been having some back pain this week, decided not to push it with the running. But I can tell that my general level of fitness is ok, pulse comes down pretty quickly after higher intensity exercise and hills don't kick my ass, lol.

more shoveling. that's about it. was gonna take the kids swimming and do some laps myself, but none of the licensed drivers in the house felt like driving in the snow for an hour to get there. i suppose if i really truly cared about daily fitness i'd get on the balance balls and hit some serious abs.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................but last night i was stressed and made cinnamon/cardamom/spice cake and lemon bars and I'd hate to ruin a good sugar buzz.
thank goodness i'm out of eggs or else i'd whip up some chocolate chip cookies right now too.

30min Skogg 101 kettlebell dvd. Swinging the bell, learning about proper form and positioning. Skogg is solid, helpful, no chit-chat. I'm liking the dynamic strength training and can tell this is going to be a good workout program when I get more into it next week.

The kettlebell handle for my Powerblocks works fine, but the blocks are a bit unwieldy. Whacked myself in the legs a few times. I'm going to learn quickly not to do that.

Foot a bit sore from some thorns that I stepped on. Still it's better than having glass embedded in my foot.

i was thinking of trying something like that. keep us posted on you progress. i can keep up with exercise but it's hard for me to stick with a video structured format per se, though I've wanted to get more disciplined about st for a while.

Reactions: Sid
Finished off the week with a shocker. Up late Saturday night at a family 60th birthday, 4.5 hours sleep and then tried to run 8-10km for my long run. Felt terrible, really flat, so I bailed after 6km, grabbed a drink and watched the local disabled surfers club helping some people stand up. Those guys are awesome. That made me feel a bit better, so I walked for a bit and then took off the shoes and ran the last 2km barefoot on the beach.

i was stressed and made cinnamon/cardamom/spice cake and lemon bars and I'd hate to ruin a good sugar buzz.
thank goodness i'm out of eggs or else i'd whip up some chocolate chip cookies right now too.

2 sticks of soft butter
1.5 cups brown sugar
2 cups flour
Chocolate chips (to taste)
1TSP vanilla extract

Mix together and roll into balls.
Refrigerate.
Cover with melted chocolate if desired.
Enjoy!

i was thinking of trying something like that. keep us posted on you progress. i can keep up with exercise but it's hard for me to stick with a video structured format per se, though I've wanted to get more disciplined about st for a while.
Out of what I've tried thus far, I really do like the kettlebell and the combination of movement and strength. I think that Barefoot Gentile and RunningPirate do kettlebell exercises as well.

I'm still working on developing correct form as I swing, and I've only spent a couple of days with the Skogg System dvd set, so I can't really say yet. It uses only 6 foundational movements. I like the way Skogg teaches, so I've gone ahead and ordered the Skogg Phase 1 and Phase 2 dvds, which supposedly add some variety. I've also ordered the Paul Katami dvds as well, so I'll have something for comparison and even more variety.

I'll wait until I have more experience with the kettlebells, and then I'll probably post some thoughts in the Optimal strength training for runners thread. I'm thinking that the kettlebell will be good for general strength and conditioning and balancing out various muscle groups. Eventually, I might work back in some dumbbell exercises at some point.

I've done mostly the BeachBody cardio dvds. They're pretty much all cardio (sometimes cardio with weights), except Body Beast, which is pure strength training. The Beachbody videos are more in-your-face, let's-go! as compared to Skogg, who is more down to earth. I like the workout videos because they're structured and time-limited and paced, so I can just get it done. Since I built up some distance with running, I don't do the cardio videos anymore. Plus, I'm going to try swimming too.

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
I'll wait until I have more experience with the kettlebells, and then I'll probably post some thoughts in the Optimal strength training for runners thread. I'm thinking that the kettlebell will be good for general strength and conditioning and balancing out various muscle groups. Eventually, I might work back in some dumbbell exercises at some point..
Sid, you might consider starting out your kettlebell workouts with one or two heavy weight exercises, like deadlifts, squats, dips, or bench presses, to build general strength, and then polish that with the kettlebell conditioning. That's how I structure my workouts anyway, and get good benefit.

Reactions: Sid
12 miles on the mill on Saturday.
I actually enjoyed running on the mill(I can't belived I just say that---help) watching movies made the time go by fast and when I looked at the distance ran it was already ten miles so I say wow! that went fast! so I went two more.
Maybe I am getting used to the mill by now but the reality is I don't have a choice is either the mill or nothing so I preferer the mill.
Looks like everyone did very well, way to go!

Sid, you might consider starting out your kettlebell workouts with one or two heavy weight exercises, like deadlifts, squats, dips, or bench presses, to build general strength, and then polish that with the kettlebell conditioning. That's how I structure my workouts anyway, and get good benefit.
I laid off the weights for a while after tweaking my back a couple of months ago, and it was getting boring, too. I'm good now, but I think I'll stick with strictly the kettlebell for now. Good to try something new. Gotta keep things interesting!

I like the dynamic workout and how it keeps one loose. Plus, with the kettleblock, I can load it up to 70lbs, though I'm nowhere near that yet. I get the sense that with the ballistic movements, that swinging a 15lb kettlebell is more like trying to maintain control of twice that weight with traditional exercises. Plus, the kettlebell movement feels more natural. Somehow, it reminded me of say, swinging an axe or a sledge hammer. Though not in vogue anymore, I'm sure that people had great workouts with heavy weapons training. I'd love it if they had a workout like that! (maybe using mockups, so people don't injure themselves)

I laid off the weights for a while after tweaking my back a couple of months ago, and it was getting boring, too. I'm good now, but I think I'll stick with strictly the kettlebell for now. Good to try something new. Gotta keep things interesting!

I like the dynamic workout and how it keeps one loose. Plus, with the kettleblock, I can load it up to 70lbs, though I'm nowhere near that yet. I get the sense that with the ballistic movements, that swinging a 15lb kettlebell is more like trying to maintain control of twice that weight with traditional exercises. Plus, the kettlebell movement feels more natural. Somehow, it reminded me of say, swinging an axe or a sledge hammer. Though not in vogue anymore, I'm sure that people had great workouts with heavy weapons training. I'd love it if they had a workout like that! (maybe using mockups, so people don't injure themselves)
Yeah, you gotta go with what motivates you, that's the most important thing by far, but most of the kettlebell stuff looks like old wine in a new bottle to me. You can do many of the same exercises with dumbbells (the squats, presses, etc.), although, like you say, the movement might feel better with kettlebells. I tried the 'halo' and 'figure 8 curls' briefly last week with dumbbells, and may make them a regular part of my top and back routines, respectively. I've also been doing the kettlebell swing for about six months now, with a homemade t-bar. If I end up liking the halo and figure 8 exercises, I might go and get one or two proper kettlebells. Both exercises are the kind where I probably wouldn't pyramid, so just getting a couple of different weights might work for me. I'd mostly be using them aerobically, towards the end of my workout, as 'finishing' exercises. I like to do the lighter exercises as quasi circuit training, with very few breaks in between, after the heavy weights. The more dynamic kettlebell-type movements would fit in good after that, just before I launch into my mobility exercises.

One thing, which you may already be aware of, is that Skogg probably does heavy weight, more anaerobic stuff himself, judging by his physique. A lot of these programs are somewhat deceptive like that, implying that they have achieved their results using only the program they are selling, when in fact a bunch of other stuff was involved. But there's always a trade-off, and if you only do more dynamic, aerobically oriented st exercises, you're not going to be training your anaerobic system as much. Not that it really matters; anything that keeps you coming back for more is valid, as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, you gotta go with what motivates you, that's the most important thing by far
Yeah, you know me. I like to make a plan and stick with it!

Okay, maybe not. I'm just enjoying the kettlebell and learning to swim now. Those trail runs were actually starting to get boring. Plus, with the gym membership, I have access to all those weights, too. Never say never.

There's an SCA practice every Wed night at a local park. I might head out one day, just to see what kind of training they do.

Edit: Skogg made an offhand comment on his dvd that he was learning how to ride a longboard skateboard. It's good to do a variety of things. I'm glad that I get bored. Who knows? Next year tennis!

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
12 miles on the mill on Saturday.
I actually enjoyed running on the mill(I can't belived I just say that---help) watching movies made the time go by fast and when I looked at the distance ran it was already ten miles so I say wow! that went fast! so I went two more.
Maybe I am getting used to the mill by now but the reality is I don't have a choice is either the mill or nothing so I preferer the mill.
Looks like everyone did very well, way to go!

1. you do have a choice: go hard core and brave that winter wonderland. good gear makes it fun. I know I know. Just teasing your warm weather lovin self. ;)
2. What movies? Inquiring minds want to know what made a treadmill so enjoyable.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Yeah, you know me. I like to make a plan and stick with it!

Okay, maybe not. I'm just enjoying the kettlebell and learning to swim now. Those trail runs were actually starting to get boring. Plus, with the gym membership, I have access to all those weights, too. Never say never.

There's an SCA practice every Wed night at a local park. I might head out one day, just to see what kind of training they do.

Edit: Skogg made an offhand comment on his dvd that he was learning how to ride a longboard skateboard. It's good to do a variety of things. I'm glad that I get bored. Who knows? Next year tennis!
I'm more a creature of habit--weights and running pretty much does it for me--but I admire your variance (with apologies to Scedastic). And they say swimming is the single best exercise there is.

I'm just glad I woke up with halfway decent energy today. I haven't felt like this for a coupla weeks. I can hardly wait to go pump at the end of the afternoon! Time to leave the fifth week I guess and get back into the sixth.

Reactions: scedastic
I'm more a creature of habit--weights and running pretty much does it for me--but I admire your variance (with apologies to Scedastic). And they say swimming is the single best exercise there is.

I'm just glad I woke up with halfway decent energy today. I haven't felt like this for a coupla weeks. I can hardly wait to go pump at the end of the afternoon! Time to leave the fifth week I guess and get back into the sixth.
I'm kind of a creature of habit too, but I do like to occasionally try something new and see if it will work for me. I workout kind of like I eat, plain and boring but occasionally will try something new. It annoys my wife to no end. ;)

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
1. you do have a choice: go hard core and brave that winter wonderland. good gear makes it fun. I know I know. Just teasing your warm weather lovin self. ;)

Oh my friend, I wished so bad that I could go run outside, see? I have Moton's Neuromas and Raynuld's(sp)? condition and both of those issues makes running on cold weather impossible for me. But trust me If I were healthy I'll be outdoors all the time. So I just make some lemonade with the lemons life handed me.

2. What movies? Inquiring minds want to know what made a treadmill so enjoyable.

Junk movies, made for TV movies mainly the LMN channel or like my my son says Lame Movie Channel.:)
And boy there are lame but entertaining sometimes.:p
Sometimes it's the Discovery channel or the History channel.

Reactions: scedastic and NickW
One thing, which you may already be aware of, is that Skogg probably does heavy weight, more anaerobic stuff himself, judging by his physique. A lot of these programs are somewhat deceptive like that, implying that they have achieved their results using only the program they are selling, when in fact a bunch of other stuff was involved. But there's always a trade-off, and if you only do more dynamic, aerobically oriented st exercises, you're not going to be training your anaerobic system as much. Not that it really matters; anything that keeps you coming back for more is valid, as far as I'm concerned.

I always have to remind myself of that. Like in the ladies' aerobic workout vids (I have one that came with my balance balls that i viewed once, for example). The instructor has a six pack and some serious muscle, but the 20 min of half hearted bouncing around on the balance ball probably ain't what did it.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid

^^That, right there. While I understand the benefits of strength training, in general, spending hours at the gym lifting weights bores the hell out of me. For some reason, I don't get that with kettlebells. Though the past couple of weeks, I shifted from the k'bell squat and deadlift to using barbells as I knew I could squat/deadlift much more than the 55lb k'bell.

Plus, the kettlebell movement feels more natural. Somehow, it reminded me of say, swinging an axe or a sledge hammer. Though not in vogue anymore, I'm sure that people had great workouts with heavy weapons training. I'd love it if they had a workout like that! (maybe using mockups, so people don't injure themselves)

Not sure if it's a media thing, but it seems that the trend is moving away from specific muscle isolation exercise (e.g. curls) and more towards "real world" compound movements (chopping, swinging, etc), a la CrossFit. CrossFit does interest me, but a) I get the impression that there is a severe competitiveness that will drive folks to keep pushing, even though you're hurt/injured, which I try and not do any more, and b) it's 'spensive.

Reactions: NickW and Sid