Mileage Reporting 52nd Week of 2012

Those are the white tanks, they are technically in Wadell, which is right next to Surprise. Basically about 35 miles north west of downtown Phoenix.

Oh boy, oh boy I will be running those on the 26th of January, got 8 hours of running scheduled there. Going to be so much fun, I can hardly wait.........

Yeah, I consider myself lucky that I didn't step on it!

A few months ago, I saw one of these in my yard. (I live in the middle of the burbs, but there are some woods nearby.) Fortunately, the neighbors had warned me it was coming my way (or quite possibly inadvertently chased it towards my house). It was about 6 ft long and as thick as my arm. Okay, my arms are skinny, but still!

Natura%2BTours-%2BFlorida%2BCottonmouth%2B%25282%2529.jpg

Wow, the only snakes we see around here are the Garter variety. The worst they do to you is pee on you when you pick them up. ;)

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid

A few months ago, I saw one of these in my yard. (I live in the middle of the burbs, but there are some woods nearby.) Fortunately, the neighbors had warned me it was coming my way (or quite possibly inadvertently chased it towards my house). It was about 6 ft long and as thick as my arm. Okay, my arms are skinny, but still!

There are some disadvantages to a tropical climate...

Reactions: NickW and Sid
There are some disadvantages to a tropical climate...
I'm using my snake detection apparati. Interestingly enough, I was unsettled enough by some snake-shaped branches during my first few runs, that I had cleared them from the trail, so I wouldn't keep getting false alarms. Of course today was no false alarm.

I'm guessing that it was just trying to warm up after an unseasonably cold weekend. I just happened to come across it, while it was sunning during mid-day.

Back when I was in the military I almost wrecked a humvee because of a huge snake in the road. My humvee did not have doors and I was afraid the snake might get flipped up by the tires if I ran it over so I swerved. Got knocked in the head by my squad leader, he was sitting in passenger seat, and we had about 7-8 troops in the back.

9.4km today, very cool 19C, when usually we have about 35C on Boxing Day !! Run was much easier than yesterday. I felt like a pinch in my groin for 2 seconds, and then completely disappeared, hopefully it's nothing, I'll see tomorrow with my intervals.

Looking at the snake pictures, this is one of the reasons I am reluctant to go in the bush here, plenty of these nasty beasts, most of them very venomous

Cool sounds like a great week. Do you keep your toenails real short?

Just average length I guess. I did clip my big toenail on my left foot a little short and am having some ingrown nail pain. Still can't figure out my right big toe. The pain has subsided, but it still feels fuzzy on top. Nice pictures Abide.

Had a nice 10k family run on Christmas eve. My sister in law brought her big German Shepherd with booties on (vibram soles). My farm dogs would have had a good laugh at that. My first real sub freezing run in wet conditions, even ran through some snow and slush patches. My feet have adapted well to the cold this year. My 9 year old daughter ran the first half with us and did great.

Back when I was in the military I almost wrecked a humvee because of a huge snake in the road. My humvee did not have doors and I was afraid the snake might get flipped up by the tires if I ran it over so I swerved. Got knocked in the head by my squad leader, he was sitting in passenger seat, and we had about 7-8 troops in the back.
I don't think there was any good option in that case. Even if you had driven over it, imagine if the snake did get flipped into your vehicle! Apparently, snakes can still bite you even after they're incapacitated. Having seen the movie Snakes on a Plane, I would definitely not want to be with a snake in a confined space. Heck, having seen Snakes in my Yard, I wouldn't want to be without a shovel or room to run away!

2.02 miles. It was misting out and 39 deg F, but I was in minshoes so doesn't count towards winter mileage (was a wuss today and did not want to go barefoot when it's wet and cold). First mile I cranked out in an awesome 8:28 with the stroller. Pretty close to the fastest I've run with the stroller down that stretch. I don't know that I really like running those speeds with the stroller as it seems to get really squirrelly and can be difficult to keep control of. I also did my ST training of shoulders and biceps.

4.07 miles in an inch of powder with it still coming down. Opted for more water proof RunAMocs. Easy 9 mm pace, both to get the feel for the snow and to take it easy since I'm running a 5K Saturday. Felt those muscles that I worked in my speed work out on Monday, which kind of surprised me since I haven't really felt them either walking around or biking in the last two days.

9.4km today, 6x800m intervals, average pace 4'40"/km, my groin pain came back, almost to the point I had to stop completely, but I managed to control that, and now don't feel any pain at all, anyone experienced something similar ?

4 miles this morning. Did the first 2 miles in my new VFF Speeds that I got for Christmas and then started to develop a slight hotspot on the arch of my right foot so I took them off and ran barefoot for a mile and my feet were just aching pretty bad after the 500 ft stretch of pain (rough blacktop), my feet just never recovered after that due to it being 40-41 deg F with the ground being wet (not raining). So after a mile of barefoot running I put back on the Speeds so I could make it home and that hotspot turned into a big blister that erupted and tore. Ouch, first blister from shoes in a long long time. I really do like the Speeds though despite the blister because they actually are comfortable and don't seem to hurt my toes. I am going to have to wear socks though thanks to the big seam that wraps down to the front of the arch, at least until my foot toughens up. I'm actually surprised that I like these as I don't usually fit in vff's, but they have an awesome retro look and are so comfortable that they have won me over. I also did ST today of back and legs.

28.36 miles of fun winter running today. Lots of trails to run, prepping for some good long distance events over the next few months.

6.9mi today. Was a bit tired and was feeling the possible onset of a cold over the past few days. Thought about ditching the run, then felt inspired to go. Thought about all of you folks freezing your butts off, and figured I couldn't let a nice afternoon go to waste.

Good thing I went. It was a nice run. Parking lot had more cars than usual. Didn't see anyone until I was heading back. I guess all of the hikers didn't want to get stuck out in the dark either. I need to keep an eye on the weather forecast, though, as it felt a bit chilly when the temp dropped from the 60s into the 50s during my hour run while wearing my ultrathin tech shirt.

While running a few days ago, I had heard a lawnmower and figured it belonged to one of several houses on the perimeter of the preserve or perhaps they were maintaining the trail. Also saw a van with a flatbed trailer in the parking lot, such as the ones they use for riding mowers. Saw a PVC flagpole, too, and figured maybe someone was setting up for a Christmas activity. Today it all came together, when I saw the ultralight circling above the parking lot at dusk getting ready to land. This preserve is full of surprises!

how long does that take you?

A lot longer than it should of, we were trying to maintain a ultra (at least one of my ultra's) pace so it was a 6 hour outing. We were running as much trail as possible so we were going out of our way to take the hardest routes to where we were going. I keep forgetting how difficult it is to run in shoes for me, especially that distance.

3.56 miles / 21 F;
half inch of snow;
half bare, half shod.

I overdid it this time. After a week off due to a persistent head cold and cough, I went out after fresh, powdery snow had begun to cover the ground. I didn't do my pre-run stretch and rolling routine. I got waylaid helping my wife unload the groceries. As I carried the bags from the car into the house, the ground felt pretty frosty, much colder than it seemed like it should feel given the temp. By the time we had the groceries all put away, it was starting to get dark out.

I had my new tech apparel on and it did a fine job—tights under my sweats, base-layer shirt, merino wool turtleneck mid-layer, and fleece jacket outer-layer, Oregon Research Peruvian cap and fleece gloves. I was warm but not too sweaty. There wasn't enough snow yet on the ground to use my new Neo Trails, but just the idea of wearing proper shoes somehow inspired me to bring along my pair of Bare Access shoes as back-up instead of my trusty Moc3s. I bought those shoes several months ago when I mistakenly thought my TOFP was caused by a stress reaction, and have only used them casually once or twice since. I had never run in them. After getting a taste of ground conditions while helping with the groceries, I was kind of doubting I’d be able to make the whole run barefoot. And I knew I probably shouldn’t run too far on my first day back after the week long layoff anyway, so I thought it might be a good opportunity to test out how I run with a proper pair of running shoes--see if I get blisters or something.

I don’t really consider the Moc3s running shoes. They’re more like running moccasins (hence the name, right?) or outdoor dance slippers. In fact once, in a shop, the clerk who told me to put shoes on asked me if I did jazz dance when she saw them. The Bare Access shoes were harder to carry in my pockets though, so I took them out after a short while and carried them in my hands. The Moc3s remain ideal back-ups, because they fit flat in hoodie or jacket pockets, but I wanted to try the running shoes for a short distance to see if they'll work on longer runs in January, when the highs will sometimes get down into the single digits.

The first mile out I sensed that I was beyond my limits. In fact I was having my doubts after just a few blocks. The snow felt kind of painful. But I told myself that I had run through slush, moisture, and on ice just a few weeks before, in below freezing temps or windchill, so it was just a matter of waiting for my feet to warm up. I tried running a bit faster than I normally do during the initial warm-up mile, but my feet were numbing up much quicker than usual. After a mile I got to my fairground loop, but less than halfway into the 1.7-mile loop I looked down at my feet and saw that two toes on my left foot and one on my right were completely white, and the rest of the foot was pretty red. Crap. So I stopped at the first available spot to sit down and accessed the Bare Access for my bare feet. But by then it was probably already too late. So much for the overheat-the-core theory. I should’ve brought socks, that might have helped my feet regain heat more quickly. (I don't think the overheat-the-core theory is valid in situations where the skin is exposed or contacting a cold object. It's probably based on longer term, general exposure to cold temps doing lesser activity, where the core temp really might be at risk of dropping, and thus blood flow withdrawn from the extremities.)

It was kind of fun to run with shoes on. I could go faster, and my form didn't seem adversely affected--i.e., no heel-striking or over-striding--but within a short while I felt some ITB strain on my right knee. Crap again. Was it the shoes or the fact that I didn't do my pre-run roll-n-stretch? So I had to stop to stretch and massage that out. It kept coming back so I kept having to stop to stretch and massage it. All this stopping of course didn't help my feet warm up any faster. And I couldn't really afford to walk and have my feet cool down again. Good thing I had smart wool socks at home!

I cut the rest of the loop a little short, and gave up on the intended second loop, and made a bee line home. On the way I could slowly start to feel the inside of the shoe. It felt kind of lumpy. Once home I realized I had actually hurt my feet this time, and it took two full hours for the warmth to return completely. It usually just takes 10 to 15 minutes. My wife scolded me as I sat there rocking gently in tingly pain, medicating with a few glasses of Barefoot Shiraz, and I had to agree with her 100%. What the heck is a middle-aged man doing risking frostbite on a recreational/fitness run? Our toddler was of course oblivious to daddy’s self-inflicted plight, and was mad that I wasn’t paying more attention to him while Mom cut up the veggies to stir-fry. His attention-seeking tactic was to begin throwing things down the stairs. This worked, but I wasn't in any mood to get up on my feet and take him away from his task. Our daughter, however, delighted in telling a friend who had just come over that I had hurt my feet because I didn’t wear my shoes outside. I had to sheepishly put on my smart wool socks and RunAmocs to go out on the deck to grill the chicken.

And so here I sit, the next day, with the bottoms of all my toes in mild, prickly pain. I think I got frostnip, or first-degree frostbite, and should be OK in a few days, but man, do I feel like a jacka$$. I thought I understood my tolerances pretty well, but this time the numbness came on much more quickly and I waited too long to cover up. I had underestimated how much more effect the moisture would have when the temp was 5-10 degrees colder. Maybe my metabolism didn’t kick in quite as quickly after a whole week of inactivity. Maybe I would’ve been OK if I had run shod for the first mile before going bare. Hard to say, but I’m definitely not going to risk anything like this again. Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts