Mileage Reporting 51th Week of 2012

Ya know, I don't know why I sometimes question myself and try new ideas. I know what works for me, I've done it for years and years. I do still incorporate some new exercises into this workout now, but I am keeping the main points from my old workout. I did try to do some of the inverted leg presses today but after a couple reps my knee had a twinge so I immediately changed to a different workout. I was doing that instead of the squats because it is easier to control with lighter weight than body weight and is an easy way for me to test and see if I was ready for squats. Apparently not. Oh, and also last night I got that book you recommended, Run Less Run Faster. Haven't gotten to start reading it yet but I am hoping to start today. I also hope I didn't sound too cranky on your tech post. My head was really bothering me bad at that point and I know what I wrote sounds like I am grumpy or a prick. Ah well, most people on here I think know that I'm not.
Yah, I've definitely incorporated some new stuff, and had to go through the process of getting up to speed on all the new fitness ideas in order to figure out what worked for me. The strength training thread initiated by Abide was quite helpful, and it was good to think through the MAF, 180-cadence, minimalist, higher mileage, form, core, plank, and other issues / trends. I've felt very much at peace for the last few weeks. I think I know what kind of runner and lifter I am and what will work for me, and it's definitely better to be informed than to 'just run' as I had been doing. Ironically, this process has allowed to come back full circle to more of a 'just run' approach, with a slight upgrade in the actual running.

And no sweat about the tech post. If I lived in Oregon or Florida or California I'd probably continue in my Luddite ways. But I'm enjoying the challenge of running farther in sub-freezing temps, and since most people have agreed that one's feet stay warmer if you overdress your torso, it seems reasonable to look into the best way to do so. I agree with you though that so far the gains in moisture wicking haven't been commensurate to the extra expense, but I'm still finding my way via Sid, Dutchie, Skedaddle, and others' tutelage.

Reactions: NickW
Yah, I've definitely incorporated some new stuff, and had to go through the process of getting up to speed on all the new fitness ideas in order to figure out what worked for me. The strength training thread initiated by Abide was quite helpful, and it was good to think through the MAF, 180-cadence, minimalist, higher mileage, form, core, plank, and other issues / trends. I've felt very much at peace for the last few weeks. I think I know what kind of runner and lifter I am and what will work for me, and it's definitely better to be informed than to 'just run' as I had been doing. Ironically, this process has allowed to come back full circle to more of a 'just run' approach, with a slight upgrade in the actual running.

And no sweat about the tech post. If I lived in Oregon or Florida or California I'd probably continue in my Luddite ways. But I'm enjoying the challenge of running farther in sub-freezing temps, and since most people have agreed that one's feet stay warmer if you overdress your torso, it seems reasonable to look into the best way to do so. I agree with you though that so far the gains in moisture wicking haven't been commensurate to the extra expense, but I'm still finding my way via Sid, Dutchie, Skedaddle, and others' tutelage.
Funny how we end up coming back to what we already knew, with maybe only some minor changes in routines. As far as all the tech gear, I think even if I still lived in MT I would forgo most of that newer techy stuff because for the cost of one or two items I can outfit myself for a week on the cheap Champion gear I have from Target and the super warm workout pants that are used only on the coldest of days. I don't see the benefit of the techy stuff if you dress properly in the first place. Everything has it's place and it's use though, like I have a techy lightweight rain coat for running. Never use it though because I get too hot in it and I end up sweating so bad I may as well just run without the jacket in the rain. Rain smells better too than my sweat.

Nick, when I moved from the west coast to Winnipeg I had quite the learning experience. The winters on the west coast we hardly ever had snow or freezing temperatures to worry about. The first winter in Winnipeg I did exactly as you what you are talking about in the above post. And let me tell you, it did not work out well. When the cold first hit I put on my cotton shirt, longsleeve shirt, and a hoodie over top of that. I found myself getting cold by the time I finished my run. So next time I went out, one more layer went on. Guess what, I came back cold again. The more I dressed up to stay warmer, the more I sweat. The wetness is what causes the cold feeling. So that whole first winter in Winnipeg I had to learn what the NTS (next to skin) layer should be. Than what the next layer should be and what kind of jacket. On top of that the windchill temperature compared to to air temperature is quite a spread as well. It can be a air temperature of -15C and a windchill in the -30C. So running down wind you can be comfortable, but turn the corner and head into the wind can be a chilling adventure. It is the wind chill that is the hardest to deal with, because if you dress for it you are going to be way to hot headin downwind. All my winter layers and jackets have zippers. The jackets have full zippers and the layers are usually 1/4 zips. This way I can use them to vent when I am getting warm heading down wind and zip them up heading into the wind. Same with the hands, I layer them as well. Usally a light liner/wicking glove and then a wind proof mitt over that, that way if it is to warm I can take one of and put it in my pocket. And Winnipeg is known As the one of the windier cities in Canada, it is always windy here. Before my runs I always tune into the weather channel to check air temp and windchill. Wow I almost wore myself out typing this, time to hydrate with Moosehead beer. :)

Nick, when I moved from the west coast to Winnipeg I had quite the learning experience. The winters on the west coast we hardly ever had snow or freezing temperatures to worry about. The first winter in Winnipeg I did exactly as you what you are talking about in the above post. And let me tell you, it did not work out well. When the cold first hit I put on my cotton shirt, longsleeve shirt, and a hoodie over top of that. I found myself getting cold by the time I finished my run. So next time I went out, one more layer went on. Guess what, I came back cold again. The more I dressed up to stay warmer, the more I sweat. The wetness is what causes the cold feeling. So that whole first winter in Winnipeg I had to learn what the NTS (next to skin) layer should be. Than what the next layer should be and what kind of jacket. On top of that the windchill temperature compared to to air temperature is quite a spread as well. It can be a air temperature of -15C and a windchill in the -30C. So running down wind you can be comfortable, but turn the corner and head into the wind can be a chilling adventure. It is the wind chill that is the hardest to deal with, because if you dress for it you are going to be way to hot headin downwind. All my winter layers and jackets have zippers. The jackets have full zippers and the layers are usually 1/4 zips. This way I can use them to vent when I am getting warm heading down wind and zip them up heading into the wind. Same with the hands, I layer them as well. Usally a light liner/wicking glove and then a wind proof mitt over that, that way if it is to warm I can take one of and put it in my pocket. And Winnipeg is known As the one of the windier cities in Canada, it is always windy here. Before my runs I always tune into the weather channel to check air temp and windchill. Wow I almost wore myself out typing this, time to hydrate with Moosehead beer. :)
I grew up in NW MT, nestled between 3 mountain ranges and at the base of one of those mountain ranges. I know what cold and snowy winters are. Coldest weather I've been in was in the -70's F with wind chill. Like I said in another post though, I was fine down to 0 deg F (not sure what the wind chill was at the time) in sweats and layering clothes. The thing is, dress appropriately. People seem to think that means you have to wear a lot of layers or wear really thick layers or wear the fancy tech clothes. No, you don't. I understand you don't want to sweat, and I understand that's what get's most people cold. I'm not arguing because I am a deluded Oregonian either who doesn't understand what cold is (no thank you please don't lump me in with those people. I'm a Montanan [near Canadian actually] who just happens to live in OR right now.).

Hmm... I stopped Prilosec OTC when I read this article below. I wasn't taking it under a doctor's supervision, but you certainly might want to talk to your doc about your med.
Combating Acid Reflux May Bring Host of Ills

I've been able to manage my heartburn with dietary modifications. Apparently my stomach doesn't agree well with cottage cheese, eggs, and soy products. I think that I can manage those things when they are in baked goods, ice cream, and such. I'll take Tums for the occasional heartburn, when I overdo it, or indulge. But of course some people need meds, too.
Just finished that article. Whoa, eye opener. I think I am going to talk to my dr and then start weaning myself of this stuff. Might be miserable for a while. Been on this stuff for 3-5 years'ish.

Reactions: Sid
I'm not arguing because I am a deluded Oregonian either who doesn't understand what cold is (no thank you please don't lump me in with those people. I'm a Montanan [near Canadian actually] who just happens to live in OR right now.).
I hope I did not come across like that Nick because that was certainly not my intention. And I share your thoughts about tendencies to overdress. Like I said I had quite a learning curve.

I hope I did not come across like that Nick because that was certainly not my intention. And I share your thought about tendencies to overdress. Like I said I had quite a learning curve.
I just reread my post and I did not mean to come across like a jerk dutchie. Sorry, my head is still hurting as I can't seem to shake this migraine. Probably should get off the computer as I'm sure the computer screen doesn't help it but I really don't have much else to do while my son is napping and I am off school for Christmas break. Guess I could read that Dean Karnazes 50/50 book..... Ugh!

I have to say that I admire you guys, running with sub zero temperature is quite something !

While I am originally from Switzerland and should be used to it, I cannot remember having run when it was that cold, so hats off to all of you !

Not even mentioning the barefootedness !! :cool:

Reactions: Sid
I have to say that I admire you guys, running with sub zero temperature is quite something !

While I am originally from Switzerland and should be used to it, I cannot remember having run when it was that cold, so hats off to all of you !

Not even mentioning the barefootedness !! :cool:
I would gladly trade Borean bragging rights to live in a warmer climate year round like you do. But the only way to deal with winter is to embrace it and do something outside, be it barefoot running, sledding, skating, skiing, streaking, or causing fender benders.

No exercise yesterday by the way. Have a sore throat.

2.5 miles at 5 am. again 1/2 mile backwards. Balmy today, only -14C this morning in light snow, 1 baselayer and jacket with tights was all that I needed this morning. I enjoy my early runs way more than afternoon runs. Still running a slow pace but finally feel like I am rid of that bug that has been with me for the last 4 weeks. Now all I have to do is get my stamina back. :)

Reactions: happysongbird
2.5 miles at 5 am. again 1/2 mile backwards. Balmy today, only -14C this morning in light snow, 1 baselayer and jacket with tights was all that I needed this morning. I enjoy my early runs way more than afternoon runs. Still running a slow pace but finally feel like I am rid of that bug that has been with me for the last 4 weeks. Now all I have to do is get my stamina back. :)
Just curious, do you subscribe to the notion that overheating the core can help keep bare feet warmer?

Lee, I used to think so but now I am not that sure. I get to uncomfortable if I get too hot running in winter. I'd rather feel just right or maybe on the cool side of things. I just make sure that my legs are comfortable.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm a bit skeptical myself, especially for folks like us who are relatively cold tolerant. I still might get that Merino wool mid-layer though, for the coldest days.

I have been using that idea of putting wrist bands on the ankles, and that seems to help.

Snowing today, and a high of -6 C tomorrow, which will be my run day since I have to make up my strength training today and have to get rid of this head cold. That means tomorrow might be my first fully shod run of the season. I was hoping to make until the new year . . . it's been an above average December for us so far.

Slightly pulled a muscle in my hamstring yesterday and somehow hurt my hip/back last night playing on the floor with my son after he jumped on me. Gonna see how I feel today and I will at least do my ST day and will play it by ear for the bike. If I do the bike it will be a very easy steady session.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts