Mileage Reporting 50th Week Of 2012

Sid

Barefooters
Jan 1, 2011
Florida
Best...Run...Ever! 9.9mi barefoot trail run. I've had longer runs, harder runs, faster runs, but this was my happiest run!

Went back and found the grassy, sandy part of the trail. I knew where to find the trail head from the satellite map. Traipsed through some waist-high grass, and I was there. First good sign, no gravel! It was grassy and wet, with high grass on either side. As I was jogging along, I wondered if anyone used this part of the trail. Horse apples! So this was also used as a bridle path. Leapt over them. The trail had two paths from the tire tracks of the ranger's truck. This side looks clear, oh no it isn't, how about here? Nope! Leaping side to side. So, got some agility work in, too!

Eventually got to a small stream, no biggie, about ankle deep and 10ft across. While I thought about some BPR (barefoot puddle splashing), there was too much gravel in and around the stream. Who put all this gravel here?! So walking, walking, stepping gingerly about 50 ft.

Then came upon a fork, where the trail goes in a big loop. Looking on the map, there's suppose to be a river on the left. I go left. Never saw the river, just more of this. The trail was nice grassy, compact sand/dirt. Accidentally startled and scared away two deer. Then came upon a man-made canal, crossed over. Trail started getting a bit sandier. Whoa, who put this 10ft strip of 2-3inch rocks here?! More trail, then power lines?

Map shows the trail running underneath them for a while. Worried briefly that the electromagnetic field might mess up my chi. Well, I'm not a cow, so I proceed under the crackle of the high power lines. (Dama, I briefly thought about following them to the power plant, but I could see a residential area and big fence in the distance. Yes, I know it would make a wonderful story...)

More trail, then came upon another canal. Okay, map says go along it for a while. Paths along either side. I chose the one that looks less rocky. Looks like I choose well, as I see footprints in some nice soft sand. Cloven prints, those must be from the deer. Four toes with paws, must be a companion for the shoddie who wore the hiking boots. Got a kick out of it thinking that I was leaving my own footprints, for the shoddies to see.

Going back was more of the same, running along the power lines, going back across the first canal, then the stream. I felt bad for the shoddies. Did they have to take off their shoes and socks? Poor shoddies! Then I saw that there was a big branch placed across on one side. Clearly, the shoddies had made it across, too.

Then saw the first and only person, a fellow on a mountain bike. Nice guy, exchange pleasantries, and of course he says, "Barefoot?". I tell him, "it's the newest thing!" "Oh yeah? Must take some time to adjust." "Yes", I say and also mention the strengthening that is often needed.

Then I continue on, backtracking a short part of the trail. Do some sprints. Horse apples? Almost forgot about those. I didn't remember there being so many, leaping side to side again. During the whole time, I was also using the mapping feature on my Garmin 305, to make sure that I was following the right path, by comparing the contour of my route to the map. Worked wonderfully.

ThomDavid, you'll be glad to know that during the whole run, I was smiling. Well sort of, I was more focused on breathing, but if I wasn't, then I'd be smiling for sure. I finally got back to the car, thinking that I'll definitely be back again!

Excellent report Sid! I'm green with envy as I look out at our white-out. Sounds like you had a blast. I think barefoot running/walking/hiking really comes into its own on nature's surfaces. Running on dirt, grass, and gravel instead asphalt and concrete is kind of the equivalent of lifting rocks and logs and climbing ropes and bouldering instead of using dumbbells, plates, bars, and cables in strength-training.

In lieu of jumping about avoiding "horse apples," today I was supposed to do my plyometrics and jump rope, as well as some lighter dead lifts and squats, and some mobility stuff (donkey kicks & whips, spiderman planks, hip ab-/adduction, etc.), but after my first good, consistent, six-day, Monday-through-Saturday week of running and weights in about a month, I decided to take my optional rest day on Sunday. I guess under our broad definition of mileage reporting, playing out in the snow with the kids counts, right?

Anyway, looking forward to another full week of workouts. I just re-set all the default pace ranges in my Garmin to one-minute intervals. 8-9 mm is my 'slow run,' 7-8 mm pace is my 'run.' According to these definitions, I can currently 'run' for approximately one mile. Hopefully I'll be able to 'run' a half marathon by August . . .

Reactions: Sid
A friend asked me about the attraction of barefoot running. After a few uninspired responses, I finally said that barefoot trail running was more like playing, sort of like when you see antelope on those nature shows, running and leaping about, all in all having a good time. Running on road often feels like work. Those 10 miles of trails just flew by, so it's clear that I'd rather be playing than working!

I don't know if I'll have enough time tomorrow after work, but I packed my running gear in hopes of more playing!

somewhere between 10 and 11,
wet, foggy, misty, low 30s temp, at dusk turning to quite pleasantly dark. Almost turned back after one mile, I was so uninspired, but kept at it, and life got good after about 3, then got charged by trio of large dogs about mile 4.5 (oh and you gotta love the owners---i'm screaming bloody murder, keeping the dogs surrounding and charging at me in the road just barely at bay, and the guy comes out and calls his dogs back, but does he secure them? NOOOOOOO, so if i want to keep going and come back, well, we can replay the scenario after he's one beer slower---yeah, this isn't the first time, gonna have to report him to animal control).
People were also driving like, well, like they do, and got clipped close on purpose and by accident a few times (once by someone on the opposite side of the road, where i had gone to so that i could avoid the car).
Otherwise the run was good--nice to breathe with no smoke, did a loop around the neighborhood when i got back so i could get the ten mile arbitrary distance that guarantees me a bubble bath.
And it all beat stress freakouts over finals. My last finals ever, in a very long far more barking dog ridden route than the one i was on tonight.

Five indoor tempo miles, too cold for me to be outside.
I am such a whimp I'll tell ya.

Don't really have much time for myself right now as I have been studying like a mad man for finals, but made some time and went for a short little 2.03 mile barefoot run. It was 46degF with a 2mph wind with damp smooshy leaves all over the sidewalk. Nice little run to hopefully help me relax a little and burn off some stress from studying for my final tonight and also later this week. First mile was at 11:21 pace and second was at a 10:49 pace. Great thing is the first mile was going downhill while the second mile was going back up the hill I just went down. Felt pretty good with only minor ankle pain so I think I am on the mend from that mild injury. Soles had no obvious wear from the run so glad to see that my sole strength seems to still be holding up despite wearing my sandals a lot lately.

6 miles, late this morning (9am), but again wet with socks and sandals, freezing drizzle/snow/ice stuff in the low 30s. Used to think socks and sandals were the epitome of cliche tacky. They likely still are, but we've made friends. My feet are just warm enough even when sopping wet in the cold.
Goodness, campus is hilly compared to my place (well, i've been avoiding some of the hillier routes, which also happen to contain worse dog threats than the ones I'm used to, at least that's my excuse).

posting twice makes the run doubly nice. Now i get double credit, righhhhhhhhtt????!?!??!?!?

Don't really have much time for myself right now as I have been studying like a mad man for finals, but made some time and went for a short little 2.03 mile barefoot run. It was 46degF with a 2mph wind with damp smooshy leaves all over the sidewalk. Nice little run to hopefully help me relax a little and burn off some stress from studying for my final tonight and also later this week. First mile was at 11:21 pace and second was at a 10:49 pace. Great thing is the first mile was going downhill while the second mile was going back up the hill I just went down. Felt pretty good with only minor ankle pain so I think I am on the mend from that mild injury. Soles had no obvious wear from the run so glad to see that my sole strength seems to still be holding up despite wearing my sandals a lot lately.

You and me both on the finals.
Getting way too old for this crapola.
Get yours done asap.
Oh, and best of luck.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
You and me both on the finals.
Getting way too old for this crapola.
Get yours done asap.
Oh, and best of luck.
Good luck! I am so stressing out on the final for tonight. It's my pre-calculus class that I am taking for the second time because I got a 69% last time. I needed a 70% to pass it... Right now I am at a 80.65%, but these tests are worth so dang much that if I screw up badly I could still get below a 70%... Stinking logarithms.....

Reactions: Sid
7.5mi barefoot trail. Joy of joys! I brought the my gear to work, drove across town, and managed to get to the trail with about 1.5hrs before sunset. Ran for a bit over an hour, out and back, avoiding the rocky part of the loop. Managed the gravelly stream a bit better this time. Ran along one of the canals then backtracked.

Was a bit confused by some 6" holes in the ground. What sort of beast digs holes everywhere? Did someone come out with a trowel? Then I realized that someone must have rode their horse along one side of the canal. Also, saw some dog tracks again, then got a bit worried, as wikipedia said there were bobcats in the area. (Google images indicates that they are indeed dog tracks. Whew!) Also, startled a stag on the way back.

I was trying to be conscious of the time, as I didn't want to be stuck on the trail after dark without a light. So the whole time, I was racing mother nature. I got back about 15 minutes before it got dark. I'm pretty sure that mother nature let me have that one, since as I was driving home, I saw that parts of the road were wet from recent rain. (Oh so, that's why it got windy all of the sudden at the end!)

Managed a little over an 8 minute pace while running, though I wasn't looking at my watch. I've decided that for now, I'm not going to worry about pace or distance, or time elapsed. Since, I'm running to fill my happiness meter, I just need to know the time, sunrise/sunset (park hours), and how to get back. I'll know when I've had my fill!

First run of the week and first run in a week. Came down with some crazy crap in my lungs last week (and no not air), was concerned about getting sick again with all the crazy temps bouncing all over the place, was 0 degrees C last week then was down to -33 or something stupid like that last night. So got out for a 3.5 mile sprint through the snow tonight. Definitely could tell i hadn't ran in a week, very heavy legs, but felt good to get out there and run none the less.

somewhere between 10 and 11,
wet, foggy, misty, low 30s temp, at dusk turning to quite pleasantly dark. Almost turned back after one mile, I was so uninspired, but kept at it, and life got good after about 3, then got charged by trio of large dogs about mile 4.5 (oh and you gotta love the owners---i'm screaming bloody murder, keeping the dogs surrounding and charging at me in the road just barely at bay,
I feel your pain. Glad you are all right!

Nada zilch zip. Maybe some beer later. Last final exams ever in my life end this afternoon. I will never ever ever take a class again unless it's something like "basket weaving" or "conversational japanese" or "how to swim for grownups"
and my kids said this morning
"yay mom, all you have to do after today is RESEARCH" (uh, yeah, for a dissertation in statistics, no problem, should be able to knock that out some time between breakfast and christmas cookies) o_O

Yesterday afternoon and evening: a 30 minute swim, 60 minutes on the spinning bike.
Today, managed 10.3 miles in my Moc3s. Was trying to relax, but the run was still on the difficult side. However, I am happy with my average pace of 8:50mm. A few more times up and down the stairs here at home doing chores and maybe my legs won't be so tight anymore?

About 3 miles barefoot on mostly trails, some sidewalk. By noon, I knew that I needed a run after work, even just a short one. I knew that I wouldn't have time with my work schedule to get to the regional preserve, but I had to have some "me" time, a bit of playing on the trails. Scouring Google maps, I came across some trails behind the local university. The loop was only a bit over a mile, but the satellite imaging indicated a potentially very nice barefoot trail, or maybe gravel...

Parking is insane at the local university, as it's one of the largest in the country. However, they have visitor parking about a 1/2 mile away for $1 an hour (or $5 a day). Okay, no big deal, I can do a short jaunt to barefoot utopia. My area has some great trails for barefoot running. I don't know who the lady is, but you can see in this photo that grass is short, the earth is compact but not hard, and it's sandy in some areas.

Before I left work , the forecast said 5PM 10% chance of rain, 6PM 40%. Sunset at 5:30PM. No worries, I'm running at 5PM! Oh, but I wasn't planning on running today and didn't bring my gear. Hmm... what to do? Well, there was a Target on the way. I debated against getting some clothes just for a run, but yes! I needed to feel the earth underneath my feet, the sand between my toes. So to Target after work! Picked up a tech shirt for $10, awesome, looks heavy and highly absorbent. Who thought this would be good for Florida? Took a while to find a good pair of running shorts, but I got the last pair in my size for $13. Thank goodness, no basketball shorts for me! Had to pick up some cheap sandals, as I was going to hit the store later. All in all, not too bad, as I can now stick this stuff in my car for impromptu runs now.

Oh yes, baselayer, I was already prepared. I came across these awesome boxers, years ago. They're all I wear. (I bought them on discount at the end of the season.) They last forever (or my first set from 12 yrs ago would have, if I hadn't gotten obese and irreversibly stretched out the elastic). Anyway, these current ones should last forever!

A bit of traffic, but not too bad. Park, change in the car, get a parking stub. And off I go, sidewalk, past the university rec center. Thought it slightly odd, that people go indoors to exercise when they can exercise in the great outdoors! Sidewalk ends, and now I'm running along a grassy slight slope several feet wide on the side of the road, trying to stay on the part that doesn't drop off into a ravine.

I get to the nature trail, and here we go. A bit rocky, then sand, glorious sand! Almost beach-like in some areas, more compact in others. Woohoo! Then rain. Okay, getting a bit wet, but okay. Did the loop one way, then backtracked. Hmm... interesting that the plants look the same as in the preserve. Saw some areas that were blocked off for research. Hey, why travel 20 miles to the preserve, when you can study it in the backyard of the university?

Having a good time. Almost at the end of the trail. Holy heck! What's that sharp stabbing sensation in my foot? It's a sandspur! Okay, no prob, I pluck it out. Holy moly! Two more between my toes on the other foot! Ouch! Rip them out too, then tossed them, without thinking, back into the sand for me to step on next time. Back to the road, now getting dark, trying not to trip and fall into the ravine, more sidewalk. Back to the car!

All in all a good time. No Garmin today either, just pure simple running. I'm definitely hooked on trail running. It just feels so great! I'm not planning on running tomorrow, but I'll pack a bag just in case I went to go back again after work.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts