Mileage Reporting 4th Week of 2013

Thursday afternoon. Supposed to be my lower body st workout. Scratched. Not enough energy for heavy lifts.

Friday afternoon
3.8 mi / 6 km running
4.3 mi / 6.9 km total
14 F / -10 C
-7 F / -21 C windchill

Still feeling a bit under the weather, mostly due to lack of sleep taking care of other sick members of the family. Man, this has been a terrible flu season. I've lost all bragging rights to "I almost never get sick."

I still have a dry cough and some congestion that's hanging on, so I thought it best just to do one fairgrounds loop. I headed out in my Aqua Lites. After 1.3 miles up my street, past the U of M's St. Paul campus, and just inside the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, I did my usual stretching routine at the pillar there. Then I ran my 1.7-mile loop and headed back out to my daughter's school/Discovery Club to pick her up and walk the last half mile home with her on my shoulders. We had to 'borrow' a scarf from the school's lost-n-found to protect her face from the windchill.

I didn't stop to stretch again but felt no sign of ITB tightness, so that's nice. I also managed a decent pace of 9:25 mm for the last two and half miles of fairly relaxed, continuous running. Today I'll do my shoulders-n-lats st workout, maybe a micro-run to keep the legs loose, and then add another 1.7-mile loop to my run on Sunday. Hopefully I'll be able build up to and do my 7.4-mile route to Como Lake and back as a nearly continuous run sometime soon.

At the top of my loop I saw folks beginning work on their snow sculptures for the St. Paul Winter Carnival this weekend. On Sunday's run I'll see them completed. It'll probably be warm enough to run barefoot on Sunday, so I'll be sure to pass by that area during the judging. Maybe that will make a good photo for YOW's Winter Challenge.

I always wonder how people look in real life. You never really know.

And everyone can see what I look like in real life.

Wow - you really do live nearby - I'm on the other side of Larkspur across from the school...
Running Pirate lives across from a school?

,Running Pirate lives across from a school?

ROFLMAO!

Lee - maybe you can snap some pics on Sunday? Ice sculptures are sooooo cooooool! :D

...and I pimped it out with my red Hoo-Rag and everything! Maybe I need an eye patch...

lol... not sure if you've seen my anecdote before: I was running last summer, wearing nothing but short-shorts and a doo-rag. Went past a pony-riding group and the little girl, maybe three yrs old, who was sitting on the pony said, in a tiny little deadpan voice, with no inflection, as though it were an everyday thing: 'a pirate'.

Running Pirate lives across from a school?

Yeah - it's not like I'm sort of registry or anything (if that were the case, my handle would be RunningPervert or something). It's sort of a PITA living near the school, especially around 2:30 when the parents come to pick up their little angels. They line my street and take up the available parking, which sucks when I am coming home during that time. But it's all good so long as the kids STAY OFF MY DAMN LAWN YOU LITTLE BASTARDS! :D

lol... not sure if you've seen my anecdote before: I was running last summer, wearing nothing but short-shorts and a doo-rag. Went past a pony-riding group and the little girl, maybe three yrs old, who was sitting on the pony said, in a tiny little deadpan voice, with no inflection, as though it were an everyday thing: 'a pirate'.

In the early 2000's, I shaved my head, grew out a goatee and pierced my ears. I was at a party and some friends were there with their 4 y/o twins who asked if a) I was a Pirate and b) if I had a Pirate ship. When they went to leave later on, it was "Bye, Mr. Pirate!"

Lee - maybe you can snap some pics on Sunday? Ice sculptures are sooooo cooooool! :D
Will do. We'll probably check out the ice sculptures downtown too.
Yeah - it's not like I'm sort of registry or anything (if that were the case, my handle would be RunningPervert or something). It's sort of a PITA living near the school, especially around 2:30 when the parents come to pick up their little angels. They line my street and take up the available parking, which sucks when I am coming home during that time. But it's all good so long as the kids STAY OFF MY DAMN LAWN YOU LITTLE BASTARDS! :D
No, not like that. If I lived in the Bay Area I'd be happy to request some occasional babysitting cum bouldering from Uncle Pirate. I meant it more in the sense of confusing the young ones with counterhegemonic Koan-like Pirate thoughts after a full day of being indoctrinated in statist discipline and ideology.
They can?
. . . after I take some photos by the aforementioned snow sculptures.

I meant it more in the sense of confusing the young ones with counterhegemonic Koan-like Pirate thoughts after a full day of being indoctrinated in statist discipline and ideology.

Oh! Well, yeah - I do that, too. Shockingly, the educators are not appreciative of alternate points of view - wonder what's up with that.... :D

7.3 mi minshoes, sidewalk, while waiting for car to get serviced. Still waiting...

Ran near the dealership, which is a fairly nice part of town mixed in with some not so nice. Avoided a couple of fellas walking along who appeared to be panhandling. One seemed particularly disappointed when I ran into the street to avoid him. Unless he takes credit cards, he was out of luck anyway.

Then ran around the perimeter of the golf course and the lakefront mansions. Also, came across a race sponsored by the local running store, local conglomerate mega-hospital, and Seasons 52 restaurant, 5.2k. Hah! 5.2, how lame and gimmicky is that? I tried to avoid them as I figured that they were paying for their run and deserved some privacy.

Hmm, another runner just came in the waiting area at the dealership. She must have had the same idea. Hmm, smelling something malodorous though, so I'm waiting outside. Ok, I just got a whiff of something outside, too. (I just checked, it's not me!) You can never tell in FL. There's always a moldy, wet smell. I suspect that many of the residential areas were drained wetlands. Strange though, the trails that I run on smell fresh, clean, and sweet. One time I got a whiff of pine, which reminded me of a cleaning product, before I realized that it was Real pine!

Oh! Well, yeah - I do that, too. Shockingly, the educators are not appreciative of alternate points of view - wonder what's up with that.... :D
As someone who taught the kids at home (all 7, all "grades") I am finding this thread refreshing!

Reactions: Bare Lee
There's always a moldy, wet smell. I suspect that many of the residential areas were drained wetlands. Strange though, the trails that I run on smell fresh, clean, and sweet. One time I got a whiff of pine, which reminded me of a cleaning product, before I realized that it was Real pine!

I always felt that FL (along with a lot of tropical locales) smelled like the inside of a boat (I'm guessing that smell is mildew). Now, I happen to like boats, so I'm fine with that.

Also, the first time I was in Florida I was shocked to see pine trees - I thought those were only found in the mountains, not in the Keys...

Reactions: Sid
Saturday afternoon
.3 mi / .5 km, bare
21F / -6 C
9 F / -13 C windchill

I did a very lite shoulders-n-lats st workout to make sure my left shoulder strain had fully healed in the time taken off for this flu bug. Seemed OK.

Then I implemented my new idea of doing micro runs on my non-running days, in order to keep my legs loose, and also maintain a more consistent stimulus or signal for adaption to running fitness. I think eventually I'd like to make each micro recovery run a mile, but I'm being cautious with just a short run around the block, just in case this idea backfires and provokes more ITB strain. It would be neat to run a mile every day though. Then I could join that club: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904199404576538782952722572.html

My feet are molting a bit now from that frost nip of a month ago, and still a bit cold sensitive. Meanwhile, my big right toe has an attractive black-n-blue stripe in the middle of the nail, from when I stubbed my toe two plus months ago, now that new nail is growing behind it. Fun. Anyway, it was nice to feel the cold ground again today, albeit very briefly.

7.5km in shoes with my local running club yesterday, followed by 1.4km barefoot on the beach this morning.

I'm pondering the 10% rule at the moment. Is there a point where it is a bit silly? I'm thinking that if you start at 1km, the 10% rule will see you running for months before you hit 2km and, nearly 4 months before you hit 5km. That seems like a long time to me. I'm thinking I might do barefoot every second day and increase the distance by 400-500m each week until I hit 2.5-3km, and then start doing the 10% thing.

7.5km in shoes with my local running club yesterday, followed by 1.4km barefoot on the beach this morning.

I'm pondering the 10% rule at the moment. Is there a point where it is a bit silly? I'm thinking that if you start at 1km, the 10% rule will see you running for months before you hit 2km and, nearly 4 months before you hit 5km. That seems like a long time to me. I'm thinking I might do barefoot every second day and increase the distance by 400-500m each week until I hit 2.5-3km, and then start doing the 10% thing.
Larry, I'm not sure, but I think that rule is for weekly mileage, not per run. But I agree, in the beginning, it's probably not worth applying even on a weekly basis. Maybe try to get up to 5 k per run before you starting worrying about it? Or just go by feel. If you start to feel a strain, back down immediately--stop and stretch, or walk the rest of the way home. That's what I've been doing lately. Or if your soles start to feel really sore, bring some shoes along as back-up. Also, if you find yourself tired or unmotivated before a run, you're probably doing too much overall. If you're concerned mainly about plantar skin development, it should come along pretty quickly, much quicker than muscles & tendons need to adapt.

A wet 14km (8.7mi) today, but it is very refreshing after the warm week we had. One nice advantage about running in the rain, is that you hear your feet even better when you're form is not entirely right....And I love splashing in the puddles !!! (yeah yeah I know, very childish, but who cares ! :D )

1.5 mi test run w/ the kids. no whining from kids. Ankle only a little off. Iced today, can hardly feel the spot. I"m still gonna take it easy this week---the weather is supposed to be weird anyways.

13 laps at the pool. It felt kinda ok! Could have even gone for more but there were only two lap lanes going, and some beefcake fellas took over the lane i was in (and i was there first!), with a lady and an instructor/kid pair in the other one. Did 2 more laps following my daughter in the free swim area and was just starting to play when the rest of my crew was tired. Meh.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts