Mileage Reporting 4th Week of 2013

That's awesome willie, what kind of dog is Leni? .

Hey dama :)

Look for hunting breed mixes... Any dog with Spaniel or Terrier in his/her blood is a good start, and not too big. Leni is a Brittany/Dackel mix. Dackel is what we call Dachshunds here, but the long-hair variety, not the really low, long 'Wiener Dog' type, lol. (but make no mistake, those little guys can outrun a horse, and most humans)

She's about 20lbs and can basically run all day, every day. I've had her on about 5 or 6 thirty-milers and each time, at the end, she's like, so when are we gonna RUN? I have her on a leash on long runs like that so she doesn't burn herself out early on by sprinting off into the forest.

I have a friend with a large-ish Jack Russell. That dog can run like Leni. I've also had conversations with two different people at two different marathons who sought out huskies specifically as running dogs, and both were completely disappointed. The dogs have the physical abilities, but they need the motivation, the team, the tundra, the sled... Without that, they just quit after a couple miles...

So, I think the breed plays a big role. Think about a Retriever's 'job' - jump into the lake, get the duck, bring it to the boss. Nothing in there that involves tracking prey across hill and dale, and sticking to the job till it's done... They don't want to do that and you'll never convince them otherwise. I would think their size/weight would work against them over long distances, too, as you pointed out.

Oooops, rambling with SwiftKey lol.. Gonna move this to a dog thread later.

Now back to our regular programming :)

Hey dama :)

Look for hunting breed mixes... Any dog with Spaniel or Terrier in his/her blood is a good start, and not too big. ....

Thank you willie, you got that right about the retrievers as I found out.
I know very well not to get a huskie, those dogs are bad news as they're very dificult to train, I hear.
I'll kepe in mind the breeds you mentioned.

60 minutes on spinning bike after a wonderful time playing w/ 8 month old grandson. (doing things like laying on our backs and grabbing our toes, I couldn't get mine to my mouth though...)

My 3 year old girl loves putting her toes in her mouth for a laugh. For some reason I can do it with my right foot but I'm not even close with my left. She thinks this is very funny.

500m barefoot and a surf this morning, before a nasty wind change ruined the party.

9mi. Back to my usual trail run. Wasn't feeling all that energetic, since this was my third consecutive day. The weather was nice, and I didn't want to miss out on an opportunity. (Tomorrow can be a rest day.) They mowed another part of the trail. I didn't notice at first, until I discovered a few small pieces of bramble stuck on my feet.

All in all, my time wasn't too far off from my usual pace. I felt tired, but restored, especially after going out of town for work last week. This was my first run on my regular trail. It felt like I was getting everything back in order. I'm sure many of you know what I mean.

Thurs: blech elliptical, more st, then another swim of 10 laps.
Fri: 20 min elliptical AGAIN, some situps, pushups, ran out of time and had to get to a colloquium.
Feeling just about good enough to run again, but don't want to push it till i'm 100%. It's taking willpower, which is in short supply in my life.

Ooooops, I forgot to post yesterday's workout which was whole body ST.
And awesome Volleball games today!

On Helen. I was like: "I totally know who that is!" because really, how many other barefoot people/runners do you come across.

Wow - you really do live nearby - I'm on the other side of Larkspur across from the school...

I honestly JUST BARELY noticed he was barefoot as I was driving by. Cannot verify if he is an actual pirate.

...and I pimped it out with my red Hoo-Rag and everything! Maybe I need an eye patch...

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts