Mileage Reporting 49th week of 2012

You know me too well, but in this case you whiffed, I was being ironic.

Ha! yea and I am the Queen Elizabeth, I bet your leg that your're going to try them on your next workout :p

As for running the method I have always heard to do it on a tmill set a high incline >12% run as fast as you can for 20 seconds hop off an rest for 10 seconds. The whole workout is 4 minutes and IT SUCKS.

Sorry, just to clarify, that Tabata scheme I copied was a modification by a French physiologist who supposedly worked out the optimal intervals.

I don't think I'll be doing anything on a treadmill though. I need to be outside. If I could, I'd move my weights outside too.

Thanks for the links. I stumbled across the Science of Running site when I got interested in the biomechanics of running form last spring. I then proceeded to read almost everything he's written on that blog. Magness, along a few others, has also been key in getting me to vary my running, for all the reasons he explains in his critique of Crosscult.

Reactions: Sid
I like your trainning I would love to include swimmimg into my workouts but I sink .

Too bad you don't live closer. I know I could teach you!

Don't worry about dropping pounds the Holidays have arrived! You are at a healthy weight-right?
I have being trying to put weight on for years but it doesn't happens so I'll just accepted my skinny self the way I am.
Yeah, the holidays should "help me out" but it is a newish thing to have a decreased appetite. I know this can happen with age. I'm a nurse by training, and have heard a lot about encouraging older people to eat adequately. At least I' aware, so I shouldn't fade away.... more bacon and buttered popcorn?

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Well, I think it's officially time for me to give up on the 500 miles for the year goal. It will be close, but I've got some things coming up in the next couple weeks that I know is going to keep me off running for a week or so and plus because of me having to take more rest days this week than planned after that 5k race it would be silly for me to keep pushing and trying to run farther than my body likes just to catch up just so I can reach some arbitrary goal. Next year I will easily run more than 500 because I am going to stay injury free, so I will just take this as a learning year. Oh well, guess I am free now to implement my new running and workout schedule I've been thinking about for a little bit but been holding off on due to trying to reach this goal. It will be running 3 days a week and bike and gym the other 3 days with 1 full day of recovery with no actual exercise. Ok, off for my hilly run.
I think I'm going to just make it a goal next year to see how far I do run, not set a goal. I know that will be more realistic for me.

Ha! yea and I am the Queen Elizabeth, I bet your leg that your're going to try them on your next workout :p
Oh, I already have plans to work sprints in, you're right about that, just not quite yet. You should know that from my incessant blathering about training plans and varied running. I want to keep doing intervals and then when the pace of those starts dropping and my legs are a bit stronger, I'll try out-and-out sprints. But I might shear something off if I were to go out and try them right now. And anyway, just running 7mm pace feels like sprinting in my present condition.

OK, wait, today is my intervals day . . . maybe just one 40-yard dash, say, at 5 mm pace, would that count?

Butt seriously, I was being ironic about having been convinced to train for an ultra by doing Tabata wind sprints. I'm glad it worked for Zapp, but it would be crazy for me (not that I have any plans to do an ultra), and apparently it is crazy for anyone else who runs ultras competitively, otherwise they'd all be doing speedwork exclusively.

Say, have you talked to your SO about August?

Only 2.76 miles today. My ankle was still hurting so I turned around after a little over a mile and came home. The hills were brutal on my ankle. Stupid chunk of wood during the race. May have to give it rest of the week off... Errrrgggggg. I guess at least I can go to the gym tomorrow and ride the boring bike which is better than nothing. Oh, and I ran 1.66 in my Pah Tempes and 1.1 barefoot today. The concrete was pretty chilly so had to warm up in the sandals first.

Sorry, just to clarify, that Tabata scheme I copied was a modification by a French physiologist who supposedly worked out the optimal intervals.

I don't think I'll be doing anything on a treadmill though. I need to be outside. If I could, I'd move my weights outside too.

If you do move your weights outside you could always do the litvinov workout, I don't really agree with the second article but whatever.

http://articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/the-litvinov-variations/
http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Arti...ery_Dumb_Training_Recommendations_Part_6.aspx

Reactions: Bare Lee
5 miles all barefoot at an 8:30 pace on a familiar course. A little disappointing, because I thought I was going faster, but it was slightly faster than last week's time, if I remember correctly. I think I need to start recording, so I'm not always wondering if I'm remembering accurately. Temperature was about 45 degrees.
Ended up with a couple of small raw spots, so I think my feet were a more worn after my long run Tuesday than I originally thought.

Sorry, just to clarify, that Tabata scheme I copied was a modification by a French physiologist who supposedly worked out the optimal intervals...Magness, along a few others, has also been key in getting me to vary my running, for all the reasons he explains in his critique of Crosscult.
When I hear about novel ways of doing things that break tradition, I ask myself is there money involved and is this a small sample size? This seems to apply to strategies that eschew LSD, and to unique individuals that achieve success using atypical methods. For example, it still boggles my mind how Clarence Thomas ran a 3:11 in his first marathon with only months of training while his life was falling apart as an alcoholic. Exceptional, yes! A method to be dissected and codified? Ummm, well...

Herschel Walker is another anomaly that I just can't wrap my brain around. "Sometimes, Walker doesn't have an appetite and will go through seven hours of wrestling, kickboxing, sparring and practicing jujitsu without having eaten for three or four days."

Edit: I'm really at a crossroads here. Which completely atypical training regimen should I follow? I should probably just pick one arbitrarily!

Yesterday, end of afternoon, 4.2 miles, about three of them down at the track, and about 2.7 of those running intervals, with shortish walking breaks. - 29 F windchill.

I ran the .6 miles down to the track at warm-up pace, 10mm. My first 440 was too fast, at 6:53 mm. "Just excited to be here" I guess. Then I got a few phone calls that screwed up my intended one-mile interval, so after stopping and starting twice before completing a lap, I reset the game plan and ran three more 440s hovering between 7:41 and 7:50 mm pace, which is slower than I've done 440s before, but not bad considering how out of shape I've become while rehabbing these injuries. Then I ran three 880s between 8:08 and 8:14 mm pace and ran home at 10mm pace again for a cool down. I risked not stretching and massaging in between intervals, partly because the sandy gravel track is pretty cold when you're standing still, and partly because my legs felt super fine. I didn't feel the MCL at all, and there was no hint of anything happening on the IT band. What a relief.

I have to say, running at about 8mm pace feels incredibly right for me, just right in fact. My form feels good, my range of motion too, my strides feel more powerful, and I like the greater mental effort of running "comfortably hard." Running comfortably hard is a nice complement to the pleasures of the weight-lifting "pump." Although my 440s weren't as fast as they have been, I felt like I could sustain these paces for a lot longer, for several more miles of intervals, but I thought it best to keep the total distance limited just in case the ITBS is still lurking, waiting to pounce at the first sign of overexuberance. I channeled the spirit of Dama and tried not to get too greedy. Paciência, I could hear her say in Spanish-inflected Portuguese, or was it DNEChris with a charming English accent? Or perhaps it was my mother-in-law's saying Todo cuidado é pouco, as she would often admonish. Plus I could visualize Dama mocking me cackingly in a Elizabethan period costume and enormous wig if I were to come here and report another injury-setback.

So the goal will be to add more 440, 880, and one-mile intervals at roughly 8 mm pace and then start stringing more of them together into longer intervals, and then eventually into bona fide runs. Too bad old man winter is just around the corner. I feel like I could do this kind of training for several months without getting tired of it. I guess I can always switch to fartleks--just keep the obnoxious pace alert set at 8mm and stop to walk whenever I can no longer sustain it.

Later today I'll do my Top ST workout. Looking forward to the pump.

@Abide, you could just copy your last race report "I ran it and finished" but maybe trying working in an adverb or even adverbial clause or something fancy like that this time around, to spice things up and draw the reader in. For example: "I ran it and finished happily"; or, "I ran it well and finished after a particularly hard last stretch."

@Abide, where do you dig stuff up stuff like the Litvinov training? You're like an encyclopedia of ST training protocols. Anyway, thanks but no thanks. I got a nice little running and ST weekly routine happening right now, and I'm getting really tired of contemplating all the alternative training protocols. I'll wait till I get bored, re-injured, or stop progressing before I'll look at something else. Right now I'm dreaming of 2BW deadlifts and running continuously for an hour at 8mm pace, and that's quite enough for me.

I liked this article about the dumbness of doing weights on unstable platforms: http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Arti...ery_Dumb_Training_Recommendations_Part_3.aspx

@Sid, have you considered Joggling?

@ Dama: note no Tabata temptation.

Interesting. That Science of Running site gives the impression endurance training can diminish strength training.

"Endurance and strength gains fight each other a bit for adaptation. While I don’t want to get bogged down in the details, if we look at the signaling pathway for some endurance adaptations and then muscle hypertrophy which are two goals of CF and CFE, we can see that they interact and in fact impair each other in some cases. For example, doing endurance work right after strength can impair hypertrophy because the mTOR pathway(which signals hypertrophy among other things) is basically switched off with endurance work. This isn’t meant to show that they are mutually exclusive, but instead to show that when you do things matters."

This study seems to suggest the same.
Effect of concurrent endurance and circuit resistance training sequence on muscular strength and power development

So does that mean that it would be optimal to do short, fast runs during the same week as strength training? If so, then what should be paired with endurance? Agility and plyometrics? Or is it enough to just alternate strength and endurance on different days?

Interesting. That Science of Running site gives the impression endurance training can diminish strength training.

"Endurance and strength gains fight each other a bit for adaptation. While I don’t want to get bogged down in the details, if we look at the signaling pathway for some endurance adaptations and then muscle hypertrophy which are two goals of CF and CFE, we can see that they interact and in fact impair each other in some cases. For example, doing endurance work right after strength can impair hypertrophy because the mTOR pathway(which signals hypertrophy among other things) is basically switched off with endurance work. This isn’t meant to show that they are mutually exclusive, but instead to show that when you do things matters."

This study seems to suggest the same.
Effect of concurrent endurance and circuit resistance training sequence on muscular strength and power development

So does that mean that it would be optimal to do short, fast runs during the same week as strength training? If so, then what should be paired with endurance? Agility and plyometrics? Or is it enough to just alternate strength and endurance on different days?
I think for our purposes, just alternating days is enough, since most adaptations happen within 24 hours after the workout, right? Although in my weekly schedule, I do put the longest run after a strength-training day that has nothing to do with the lower body, just to make sure the legs are fresh:

Friday: Top ST (Upper Back, Shoulder, Neck, Forearm)
Saturday: Endurance Run (LSD)

Conversely, I like to put the intervals a day after I do my heavy lower body ST day, to stimulate maximal muscle adaptation:

Wednesday: Back ST (Lower back, Hips, Butt & Quads)
Thursday: Speed Run (Intervals)

Finally, I like to put the tempo run right after the chest and upper arms day, just in case there's some benefit to my arm swing on the stamina run from having sore arms and chest:

Monday: Front ST (Chest, Biceps, Triceps).
Tuesday: Stamina Run (Tempo Run or Cruise Intervals)

After the long run, which, hopefully, in the not-too-distant future, will actually amount to a longish run, I take 72 instead of 48 hours off from running, for maximal recovery/adaptation, while at the same time working the lower body some more in strength training, to support the running and prevent knee injuries:

Sunday: Bottom ST (plyometrics & more lower body stuff like higher rep squats, deadlifts, leg extensions, hip abduction, calve raises, jump rope, etc.)

The whole schedule is therefore:

Monday . . . . . . ST: Front
Tuesday . . . . . .Run: Stamina
Wednesday . . . ST: Back
Thursday . . . . .Run: Speed
Friday . . . . . . . ST: Top
Saturday . . . . .Run: Endurance
Sunday . . . . . . ST: Bottom

Still, you tolerate daily running pretty well, so you might consider one week running, one week ST or something else, or try the seasonal cycle that Abide has proposed on the Optimal ST thread. For me, giving my targeted muscles at least 48 hours to recover/adapt twice a week, and 72 hours at least once a week, really seems to work well. If I take too much time off, I quickly start to lose conditioning, so taking more than a week off in between, say, bench presses or endurance runs, wouldn't work for me. Alternatively, if you have more time/energy, you could try something like running in the morning and doing ST in the afternoon or evening. I've heard of people doing that (Maybe even you?).

@Abide, you could just copy your last race report "I ran it and finished" but maybe trying working in an adverb or even adverbial clause or something fancy like that this time around, to spice things up and draw the reader in. For example: "I ran it and finished happily"; or, "I ran it well and finished after a particularly hard last stretch."

@Abide, where do you dig stuff up stuff like the Litvinov training? You're like an encyclopedia of ST training protocols. Anyway, thanks but no thanks. I got a nice little running and ST weekly routine happening right now, and I'm getting really tired of contemplating all the alternative training protocols. I'll wait till I get bored, re-injured, or stop progressing before I'll look at something else. Right now I'm dreaming of 2BW deadlifts and running continuously for an hour at 8mm pace, and that's quite enough for me.

I liked this article about the dumbness of doing weights on unstable platforms: http://www.charlespoliquin.com/Arti...ery_Dumb_Training_Recommendations_Part_3.aspx

Sounds good I'll give it a try, maybe I need to start blogging to help get into the groove. Is Saturday and adverb? Saturday, I ran a race and finished?

Yeah don't get stuck in paralysis by analysis just lift heavy weights and do it consistently and it will work, arbitrarily at least. I read this crap for fun instead of watching TV. I've been bored of reading books for some reason lately and the library collection of excercise books sucks, so I hunt for blogs about strength training. Strength training is much more involved than running so I tend to read and think more about it.

By the way here is another interesting article specifically about his thoughts on the difference between a male and female marathon runner.

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online...ining_performance/cosgroves_five_ahha_moments

I channeled the spirit of Dama and tried not to get too greedy. Paciência, I could hear her say in Spanish-inflected Portuguese, or Todo cuidado é pouco as my mother-in-law would often admonish. Plus I could visualize Dama mocking me cackingly in a Elizabethan period costume and enormous wig if I were to come here and report another injury-setback.
Hahaha, I am so glad I was there helping you with your workout and preventing you from doing stupid things.

@ Dama: note no Tabata temptation.
For now anyways :)

Seriuosly, it does sound like you did have a great workout. I wished I like doing intervals, they do sound like fun when others do them.

Say, have you talked to your SO about August?

I did and so far I am 90% confident that we'll probable do it(if we do it he'll more likely be doing the 5K).
He's going to check his calendar and hopefuly I'll have a definite answer maybe later on today.
I just send him the link as a reminder.

Too bad you don't live closer. I know I could teach you!
That is so sweet of you but I am going to tell you a little secret about myself just don't tell anyone else, I think I might be un-coachable because I am extremely stubborn and I like doing things my way and don't like people telling me what to do. But still it will be nice if lived closer at least we could go for a decent fun run, I can handle that.

Yeah, the holidays should "help me out" but it is a newish thing to have a decreased appetite. I know this can happen with age. I'm a nurse by training, and have heard a lot about encouraging older people to eat adequately. At least I' aware, so I shouldn't fade away.... more bacon and buttered popcorn?

What do you mean by age? I am old and my appetite doesn't seem to be changing at all.
What I noticed is that short runs under 10 miles do suppress my appetite, runs up to forteen miles my appetite is normal and runs longer than 14 miles make me really, really hungry, I swear I could eat a horse after a long run.

Reactions: happysongbird
So this thread has turned into a book. I'll have to go back and read it when I have more time.

I apologize for posting here when things are only going good for me. So to catch up, Thanksgiving week was bad for me. I wasn't sick, but I just didn't feel 100%. The day I ran with shoes and then barefoot with faster intervals left me with a sore ankle and sore arches. I only managed 25 miles that week. The next week started with a 17 mile run, but 1/2 way through, I started running faster on the downhill and had a massive calf cramp at mile 15. Rubbed it out and finished out the run. Also had some hip pain after the run. Should have rested, but continued to run. Mileage was in the 30's but my calf wasn't recovering and my hip was becoming worrisome. Took 3 days off.

This week. Sunday, off. Monday - very slow 6 miles. Tuesday - very slow 8 miles. Calf is completely recovered, but my hip still has a "niggle". Wednesday - very slow 3 miles. Thursday - 22 mile hike and run in Zion National Park with about 7000 feet elevation change. Used my sandals because of unknown trail conditions. I think I could have done more, but didn't want to push my hip.

So in my case, I'm staying slow for a while. Using the GPS only for mileage tracking and not using the pace unless it is to slow me down. Tried the shoes, tried the speed. I'm just not ready yet.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test