Mileage Reporting 49th week of 2012

Here is we are different, I have tons of patience and I try not to rush anything :)

Yah, I think I have patience now. But I had to push a bit to learn that in running you can't really push things too much. And of course, it's not always easy to know what too much is until it's too late.

You'll get there eventually-promise!
Yah, thanks, I know. Hopefully next week! Oh wait, I just remembered I've learned to be patient.

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
Yes sorry I didn't mean that you shouldn't do them, just tune up your program to fit your goals and needs. But you already know that. From some other articles I have read about tabata the workout should leave you destroyed. You shouldn't have energy left to do anything else and if you do you didn't do it right. That's tough...
Yah, I gotta have something leftover for the wife and kids. We always gotta keep in mind that this stuff was written for high performance folks, and paraphrase accordingly. And some of the stuff I wrote in that comment wasn't in direct response to yours, just general thoughts on the matter.

I also thought the most efficient was 20 on 10 off? Was that wrong?
I don't know. I got that from Coach Dean's article http://running-advice.com/blog/?p=800. Basically we're talking wind sprints, right? I'm not going to do too many of those in a row, not at my age.
What about hills?

Even though Dama said only downhill was a problem for her ITB, I've read others say that hills in any form can aggravate it. So it seems prudent to avoid them for the time being.

I think Krista, Zapmamak, ran a 60 mile ultra this Spring with no run longer than 4 or 5 miles and a lot of tabata training.

Another exception testing another rule?
I dunno. It may be possible to 'just finish' longer races with no real endurance training, but I doubt anyone concerned with performance can get away with it.

Well, I think it's officially time for me to give up on the 500 miles for the year goal. It will be close, but I've got some things coming up in the next couple weeks that I know is going to keep me off running for a week or so and plus because of me having to take more rest days this week than planned after that 5k race it would be silly for me to keep pushing and trying to run farther than my body likes just to catch up just so I can reach some arbitrary goal. Next year I will easily run more than 500 because I am going to stay injury free, so I will just take this as a learning year. Oh well, guess I am free now to implement my new running and workout schedule I've been thinking about for a little bit but been holding off on due to trying to reach this goal. It will be running 3 days a week and bike and gym the other 3 days with 1 full day of recovery with no actual exercise. Ok, off for my hilly run.

I dunno. It may be possible to 'just finish' longer races with no real endurance training, but I doubt anyone concerned with performance can get away with it.
She says she had enough energy left to party afterwards having finished 3rd of twelve women - I would say placing counts as a performance event!

Wow, sorry, I had no idea. I guess I'll be doing Tabatas!

Be careful now. Don't overdo it, you are a danger to yourself :)

Next year I will easily run more than 500 because I am going to stay injury free, so I will just take this as a learning year.

That's the spirit!

I had 6 mi at luch time. Indoor track though:(.

BTW I got in touch with Talonraid and he said to say hi to everyone.

What's he up to? I miss the guy. Tell him to stop by would you? Please?

I did, message him and tell him to as well.

He said he has been doing more crossfit and less running, and misses hanging out here. Same old Talon otherwise.

Right on it! thanks

it would be silly for me to keep pushing and trying to run farther than my body likes just to catch up just so I can reach some arbitrary goal.
I'm completely with you on this. After running an arbitrary distance in a single run, an arbitary number of miles in a week, reaching an arbitrary percent bodyfat and arbitrary body weight, lifting an arbitrary amount of weight on various arbitrary exercises, and doing some arbitrary workout videos, my next goal is to explore some arbitrary paces for an arbitrary amount of time and distance, after which I will pick another arbitrary goal to explore at an arbitrary point and time in the future.

I don't know. I got that from Coach Dean's article http://running-advice.com/blog/?p=800. Basically we're talking wind sprints, right? I'm not going to do too many of those in a row, not at my age.

As for running the method I have always heard to do it on a tmill set a high incline >12% run as fast as you can for 20 seconds hop off an rest for 10 seconds. The whole workout is 4 minutes and IT SUCKS.

Here is some reading:

http://www.scienceofrunning.com/2012/01/crossfit-endurance-tabata-sprints-and.html
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/#axzz2EIkNCvYw

Reactions: Bare Lee
Y'all are chatty this week.
I ran on tuesday and posted-----that was 4 pages ago.
No, I didn't run since then (slept 3-4 hrs Mon night and dealt with life tuesday---did half hearted workout at gym today and have kid stuff going on tonight, aside from end of semester insanity).
Carry on nothing to see here...........................

I'm completely with you on this. After running an arbitrary distance in a single run, an arbitary number of miles in a week, reaching an arbitrary percent bodyfat and arbitrary body weight, lifting an arbitrary amount of weight on various arbitrary exercises, and doing some arbitrary workout videos, my next goal is to explore some arbitrary paces for an arbitrary amount of time and distance, after which I will pick another arbitrary goal to explore at an arbitrary point and time in the future.
+1

I thought she was doing crossfit and tabatas were just part of it. She is actually the only person I have ever heard of that has been successful with this method.
The exception that proves the rule perhaps. Certainly none of the pro running sites have ever mentioned training like this. More power to her though; I try to jump just 2 or 3 miles from my last max training run and I get ITBS! I couldn't imagine this working for me. I wouldn't race a HM unless I could already run 13-15 miles in training at a decent pace. And I would never think about running a marathon unless I could already run 20 miles in three hours or so. The ITBS I can deal with, but that freak MCL thing kinda freaked me out. I always thought runners were kind of wussies, but now I view it as a full-contact sport.

Reactions: Sid
The necessity of the arbitrary.

We are forced to chose our meaninglessness.

Reactions: Sid
No, I didn't run since then (slept 3-4 hrs Mon night and dealt with life tuesday---did half hearted workout at gym today and have kid stuff going on tonight, aside from end of semester insanity).

Your body will welcome the forced rest. You'll be back running in no time-after finals?

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test