Mileage Reporting 49th week of 2012

Here is the thread read the third page too.

http://thebarefootrunners.org/threads/it-band-knee-pain.2010/page-2

Let's see if I can get him back on here.
Thanks a million man. Invaluable info on there. That's actually a different thread than the one I looked at, so that's why I wasn't remembering anything about sprinting. Looks like fartlek's might be the way to go.
Funny how it was a different crowd commenting not so long ago. I should set aside some time and just look through old threads sometime!

Ran 4 miles today. My legs did not want to cooperate and today was one of those dreadful days where it takes nearly everything you have to just keep moving. It's funny, my breathing was A-O.K. but man my legs felt like lead. I think they were still wanting to recover from Sundays race. Tomorrow might not be so fun as that is supposed to be my 5+ miler... It's nice that my cardio is now coming back around (more like when I was younger, prior to my back surgeries) that my lungs and breathing are now ahead of my legs and running at faster paces is now easier breathing wise. I just wish the legs would hurry up and catch up.

6,3 mi. today 70 degrees in Rochester NY!
Seven days total 28 mi. BF 15 minimal.

K, so it's easy to figure out where you go to clean the garage, but where do you dance?

:) Dancing locations vary. Besides the normal kitchen dancing, sometimes it's our basement, sometimes it's in our friends' garage, and sometimes we go to bars specifically to follow a band we happened to find a year and a half ago when looking for some live music. :D

Reactions: scedastic
Just finished 10.5 miles, 9.5 bf. Both are distance PRs for me. My average pace (not counting the very rough asphalt the first 2 miles and last half mile up an incline) was just under 9 mm. I'm tired and hungry!
We'll see if I can make it into the pool later. Would help loosen my legs, I know. But I'm fighting feeling quite chilled now that the run is over....

As for strength, I think that could be part of it too. I only started doing deadlifts again this last summer, and then I had to lay off them while I was rehabbing my MCL injury. And as you know, I've just begun working the squats back in for the last few weeks. I gotta get more serious about my plyometric boxes too, now that my MCL is good to go. Maybe the plan for December should be doubling up my deadlifts and squats, doing them on Sunday as well as Wednesday, and keeping the runs short and fast. Whadaya think?

Also, in that ITBS thread, Dama mentioned that hills seemed to trigger it for her. Have you found this to be true, or have you heard this happening for other folks?

As for the hills, I have not heard specifically that they cause ITBS. I'm actually a little surprised Dama does. Running up hill should force more work through your posterior chain similar to what sprints do. Maybe slower runs uphill affect it and I am thinking more of hill sprints. However if that were the case it would indicate that the problem might be related to overstriding.

As for the strength work yeah I would always recommend someone to lift more and run less. Especially since it is winter for you, I definitely plan to do the same in the summer. Remember when you start if you add something you should cut something back or out to compensate initially. Its really important if you are adding both strength and speed at the same time.

As for the hills, I have not heard specifically that they cause ITBS. I'm actually a little surprised Dama does. Running up hill should force more work through your posterior chain similar to what sprints do. Maybe slower runs uphill affect it and I am thinking more of hill sprints. However if that were the case it would indicate that the problem might be related to overstriding.

Just to get you two un-confused and clarify the situation, running uphill is fine going downhill is what messes up the ITB so I run up and walk down.
The same with doing the flight of stairs-run up-walk down.

Reactions: Bare Lee and Abide

As for the strength work yeah I would always recommend someone to lift more and run less. Especially since it is winter for you, I definitely plan to do the same in the summer. Remember when you start if you add something you should cut something back or out to compensate initially. Its really important if you are adding both strength and speed at the same time.
Someone else on that thread you linked to today also mentioned that hills could aggravate ITBS. Here's the thread where Dama mentions it:
http://www.thebarefootrunners.org/threads/fellowship-of-the-itbs.4350/.
And a link that Zetti posted on that thread also mentioned hills:
http://m.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/fitness/running/strengthening-beats-stretching-when-it-comes-to-this-common-running-injury/article4365074/?service=mobile

Anyway, I don't think my case is serious, and I'm pretty sure the right combo of stretching, massaging, strength training, mobility work, and faster paced running will do the trick. I'm going to try to use this, along with my little illness-induced break, as an excuse to reset the running, try to build-up again with faster paced intervals, or fartleks, or cruise intervals with walking breaks, or some combo thereof. It's pretty frustrating because as recently as August I was up to eight miles at 10 mm pace, but maybe I got keep my running to 9 mm pace or faster and forget about any kind of distance consideration for the time being. This is a terrible time of year to be going fast though. I really should be base-building. Oh well. I'm kind of looking forward to making a push on the weights and keeping the runs short. Might be a good change of pace. The only problem is I need longer runs for weight loss and sound sleep. Might have to have to break out the old bike.

Reactions: Abide
1.75 miles today at a slow 10.5 mm pace. Must be getting better as it only felt like I was running a 5 mm pace. The roads and sidewalks are still treacherous as Bob mentioned yesterday. I wound up doing a butt plant right at the end of my run. My neighbor who was just walking her dog gave me a score of 8 for the artistic portion of my graceful 3 point landing. :D

1.75 miles today at a slow 10.5 mm pace. Must be getting better as it only felt like I was running a 5 mm pace. The roads and sidewalks are still treacherous as Bob mentioned yesterday. I wound up doing a butt plant right at the end of my run. My neighbor who was just walking her dog gave me a score of 8 for the artistic portion of my graceful 3 point landing. :D

Be carefull out there you don't want to do something to your bones-not worth it. Just sayin'

Too late for that Dama, broke my wrist a few years ago doing the same thing, running on icy roads. When you live in Winnipeg and know for sure you are going to bail, we try to land in a snow bank, well that is the theory if one is close enough to a snow bank. ;)

Well the wrist is not as bad as a hip or leg I supposed. The snow bank sounds nice and soft to land on.

Too late for that Dama, broke my wrist a few years ago doing the same thing, running on icy roads. When you live in Winnipeg and know for sure you are going to bail, we try to land in a snow bank, well that is the theory if one is close enough to a snow bank. ;)
Tried to do that once, little did I know there was a fire hydrant just under the snowbank... Would have been better off to land on the icy sidewalk. :D

Ran 4 miles today. My legs did not want to cooperate and today was one of those dreadful days where it takes nearly everything you have to just keep moving. It's funny, my breathing was A-O.K. but man my legs felt like lead. I think they were still wanting to recover from Sundays race. Tomorrow might not be so fun as that is supposed to be my 5+ miler... It's nice that my cardio is now coming back around (more like when I was younger, prior to my back surgeries) that my lungs and breathing are now ahead of my legs and running at faster paces is now easier breathing wise. I just wish the legs would hurry up and catch up.
If I were in your place, I would run on tired lead legs and wonder why they weren't getting better (the story of my running, often).
My recommendation, though? Give it an extra day of leg rest. Cross train or whatever. What I am starting to try to remind myself of lately is that the lead leg or cramped feeling, or any running when the legs aren't ready, sucks a good portion of the joy from the activity, aside from opening you up to more injury risk. Better to take an extra day and have joy and no lead legs for your next run.

Reactions: Bare Lee