Mileage Reporting 47th Week of 2012

wednesday: 5.25 mi run bf around campus in the warm sun and 50 degree temps. Great workout, ran zig zag up down stairs, lots of steep little hills, across grass, cement, asphalt, fun.
thurs: 6 mi, 4bf, used my sandals on the rougher chip seal. windy and warm still. don't like stopping to take off/put on sandals, but at least i got to enjoy more bf time before the weather went yick
fri (today): 3 mi walk/run on tight calves in my mom's suburban nbhd (forgot my pvc roller) in the whipping winds(~25mph+) and 30-some degree temps. i dressed too warmly in socks n soft stars, tights and what not---the walking intervals didn't even chill me.
at least i got outside. long driving hours ahead to go back home.

7.01 miles today without the stroller and in the pouring rain at 43degF. I was hoping to see how well I could do without the stroller but my lack of sleep last night (did a stupid thing and had a cup of coffee late in the afternoon. Got to sleep ok, but staying asleep on the other hand was a bit of a problem.) and my overstuffing of myself yesterday I think slowed me down. My legs felt like they had plenty of energy for distance, I just could not get up to speed. Whenever I tried it was like the engine would start stuttering and sputtering. That was fine, I just backed it off a touch and ran. I tried to go barefoot after a mile and a half in the Pah Tempes but the pavement was just to cold for me. I only made it a half mile barefoot and my feet were just getting colder and more painful. Oh well, threw the Pah Tempes back on and they warmed back up pretty darned fast. Ran through a ton of water today and mud and the Pah Tempes are doing fantastic for me. I did have a slight rubbed raw spot from the buckle on top of the foot the other day in these when I had the left foot tightened up just a touch too tight, so that was pretty tender for the first 3 miles or so. I do think I am going to end up trimming these up so they work better in all the water that I run in around here.

3.48 miles / 5.6 km.;
26 F / -3 C;
8 F / -13 C windchill.
10.28 mm pace.

Woke up this morning to an inch of snow. It was great to come down later and witness my wife and kids' enthusiasm for the winter wonderland. My head cold was on the way out after a decent night's turkey-induced slumber, reduced now to an occasional dry cough. I like how when you're fit you either don't get sick or you get rid of colds really quick, even when drinking a bottle of Barefoot wine for Thankstaking.

By mid-afternoon I decided I needed to attempt a run on the way to running some errands picking up some pills for my dad and getting some steak for dinner. By that time there were some dry patches of asphalt in the middle of the roads, and I tried to stick to those as much as possible. The sidewalk felt noticeably colder and moisture for any sustained length had me thinking about slipping on my back-up Moc3s. But after about a mile and a half my foot's numbness stabilized just to the north of tolerable, so I stuck it out and had my first bone fide winter run. I took off my toe rings beforehand just in case they would conduct cold.

I made sure to roll and stretch my legs good before the run, and this seemed to have kept my nascent ITBS at bay. It felt kind of nice to run with somewhat numb feet, as it took away the recent pressure I've been putting on myself to increase pace. Just being able to run at that windchill was enough of a challenge, although a somewhat quicker pace might have warmed up my feet faster. In any case, the winter cold might be a blessing for the next few months, as it will force me to stick to mostly base-building type running, although I hope to do at least some tempo runs when the temps are a bit more favorable. Overall, it felt great to be out in the elements.

OK, now my feet have warmed up and it's safe to jump in the shower. I didn't do my Back ST yesterday so I'll roll that into my Top ST tomorrow and start out next week with another run on Sunday. I kind of went a little bit backwards this week, after building up decent mileage over the last few weeks post-MCL injury, so hopefully next week I can get in some decent runs again:

Week 1: .8 mile
Week 2: .8 mile
Week 3: 3.7 miles
Week 4: 8.5 miles
Week 5: 14.09 miles
Last week: 18.15 miles
This week: 9.48 miles

Reactions: Sid and NickW
. I took off my toe rings beforehand just in case they would conduct cold.
I've wondered what it would be like to run barefoot with those. Have never worn them otherwise, but have been interested.
Don't push the temps too far!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Bleech, what a crappy week. Started off great on Sunday,
Then I got sick and was not able to get out till today.
5.24 miles tonight though, felt good to get back out there and get the legs moving.

Bleech, what a crappy week. Started off great on Sunday,
Then I got sick and was not able to get out till today.
5.24 miles tonight though, felt good to get back out there and get the legs moving.
Glad you are starting to feel better!

70 minutes on the spinning bike this evening after a relaxing day. Needed that after yesterday's intensity. I don't think I can get up early to volunteer next year then run, then fix a Thanksgiving dinner, even with a short nap and help!

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
I limped 8 houses out and 8 houses back. I could only do O&B 3-1/5 houses yesterday, so I consider that progress. Of course, after the next surgery next month, I will have to start all over. :(

I limped 8 houses out and 8 houses back. I could only do O&B 3-1/5 houses yesterday, so I consider that progress. Of course, after the next surgery next month, I will have to start all over. :(

Yes, you may have to start over but at least that 8 houses will turn into a mile, then two and so on and so on. Because you are determined to not let anybody tell you that you can't. I will keep reminding you of this daily if I have to, becuase I care and I am sure there a few other thousand (close to 6000 I think) that will back me up on that. :)

Thanks, Bob. When I passed that third house, I thanked God and nearly started to cry. It was so painful last night trying to get past those three houses and back home that I really questioned if I could do more.

Thanks, Bob. When I passed that third house, I thanked God and nearly started to cry. It was so painful last night trying to get past those three houses and back home that I really questioned if I could do more.
slow and steady, you'll make progress -

I've wondered what it would be like to run barefoot with those. Have never worn them otherwise, but have been interested.
I've run with them in the 20s with no windchill, and in the 30s definitely no problem. But yesterday was close to my threshold so I didn't want to take chances, and my toes are the first to numb up so I wasn't even sure I'd notice if the rings were having a deleterious effect.
Don't push the temps too far!
Thanks Mom! I grew up in this crap though, and have been a casual barefooter for a long, long time, so I have a good sense of what my limits are, despite lacking common sense in many other areas of life. After my shower I was back out in it, grilling up steaks on the snowy deck. Now I'm up after a few hours of sleep rehydrating . . . my older brother stopped by with some nice Merlot

Reactions: happysongbird
Forgot to mention that I hit just above the mileage needed for this week so I can still hit 500 miles for the year.
Ha! Kind of wish you hadn't mentioned that. I just looked at my running log and it looks like I'll fall a little short of 500 miles for the year unless I can run 25 mpw consistently from here on out.
Now I'll have that milestone messing with my impressionable, numerological mind. Can more ITBS be far behind?!!!
Let's hope I can keep this up with no more injuries!
Yah. up until July my tofp kept me running 10 mpw or less, and then as you know I had to take a few weeks off in August and October, so it's been a frustrating year, but hopefully our injuries are behind us my barefoot brother. Look forward to charting your progress in 2013. I'm shooting for 25 mpw average so 25 x 52 = 1300 miles for 2013 is the goal, although I'll be happy with 1000.

Ha! Kind of wish you hadn't mentioned that. I just looked at my running log and it looks like I'll fall a little short of 500 miles for the year unless I can run 25 mpw consistently from here on out.
Now I'll have that milestone messing with my impressionable, numerological mind. Can more ITBS be far behind?!!!

Yah. up until July my tofp kept me running 10 mpw or less, and then as you know I had to take a few weeks off in August and October, so it's been a frustrating year, but hopefully our injuries are behind us my barefoot brother. Look forward to charting your progress in 2013. I'm shooting for 25 mpw average so 25 x 52 = 1300 miles for 2013 is the goal, although I'll be happy with 1000.
All I have to do is 17.5 per week to finish out the year and get my 500. Kind of a bummer but the mileage from this last little push is going to make me have just a little more in minshoes than barefoot. Maybe next year will be kinder to me. I am planning on takin a nice little break at the beginning of the year and just doing some strength training and biking in it's place for a couple weeks. Hopefully that will give the legs, hip, and knee a little recovery time so I can start the year off running healthy instead of with muscle aches and pains. I can already tell this little push at the end of the year is goin to be hard on me. I actually notice I do really well with under 4-5 miles but over that and my body really gets to aching later in the day and into the next day. Thinking maybe I am just built more as a shorter distance runner, which I'm really thinking I am fine with.

That would be pretty cool to get that many miles in Lee, but I'm starting to think 750-1000 would probably be about the max I am able to achieve in any given year with little to no injuries. That's between 15-20 miles per week. Back when I was younger I really didn't run much longer than about 5 miles mostly, other than the one half I did and some sporadic runs/ruck marches (12 miles) I did in the Army (my short little legs aren't great for walking fast so I was often running with a 50+ pound ruck sack just to keep up).

Reactions: Sid and Bare Lee
All I have to do is 17.5 per week to finish out the year and get my 500. Kind of a bummer but the mileage from this last little push is going to make me have just a little more in minshoes than barefoot. Maybe next year will be kinder to me. I am planning on takin a nice little break at the beginning of the year and just doing some strength training and biking in it's place for a couple weeks. Hopefully that will give the legs, hip, and knee a little recovery time so I can start the year off running healthy instead of with muscle aches and pains. I can already tell this little push at the end of the year is goin to be hard on me. I actually notice I do really well with under 4-5 miles but over that and my body really gets to aching later in the day and into the next day. Thinking maybe I am just built more as a shorter distance runner, which I'm really thinking I am fine with.

That would be pretty cool to get that many miles in Lee, but I'm starting to think 750-1000 would probably be about the max I am able to achieve in any given year with little to no injuries. That's between 15-20 miles per week. Back when I was younger I really didn't run much longer than about 5 miles mostly, other than the one half I did and some sporadic runs/ruck marches (12 miles) I did in the Army (my short little legs aren't great for walking fast so I was often running with a 50+ pound ruck sack just to keep up).
Yah, the main thing is to run in a manner that keeps us healthy. My 25 mpw calculation is basically 6-7 miles x 2 times a week plus one longer 8-12 mile run, plus one optional shorter recovery run of about 2-3 miles, but I still don't know if this is a reasonable expectation for me. I think it is, but these recent set-backs make me wonder if age is beginning to enter into the equation. Like you, I know that 15-20 mpw is totally doable, and if that's what I end up with, I won't complain. In Chicago I ran exactly 15 mpw (5 mi x 3 times a week) no problem, for two and a half years. Five miles or less seems to be trouble-free for me too. And I think I've learned that any build up in distance has to be done gradually, like I was doing in July, but ever since my tofp and then MCL injury breaks, I've been overly eager to get back to my previous mileage.

Even now, after today's ITBS-free run, I'm daydreaming about doing my 7-mile Como Lake route on Sunday, but common sense would dictate holding off on that for at least a week until I'm sure I'm clear of all ITBS. I read through the ITBS thread yesterday and it's scary when people talk about being laid up for months with it. The TOFP I know I can cure, and I'm writing off the MCL injury as a freak occurrence, but ITBS sounds like it could easily become chronic if taken lightly. So many of our BFR friends have passed through it. I'm pretty sure it came on because I tried to do track work the day after my longest run to date, as you noted. I didn't actually feel it on the long run itself. It came on the next day while going up a hill, and I read Dama say that hills can aggravate her ITBS. So perhaps no hill repeats for a while.

Yet running less than an hour these days doesn't seem very satisfying. A good 60-90 minutes' run is so much more gratifying than 30-40 minutes. And now I'm eying a couple of half marathon possibilities this spring . . . Heaven help me, protect me from myself.

Reactions: NickW
11/18 Back
11/19 6 miles minshod to give TOFP a rest.. Still a little bit of residual TOFP on right.
11/19 Chest
11/20 6 miles still minshod. ok. TOFP mostly gone.
11/21 6 miles minshod to burn off sone calories for Turkey day. Picked up the pace as it was slightly chilly. Felt good, so went for 5k PR. Missed it by 11 sec. Out of breathe, slowed way down for a mile to recover, and completed 6 miles, and set 10k PR! TOFP pretty much not a factor.
11/22 Shoulders. Nice workout. Low back a bit sore at bedtime.
11/23 Back still sore. Left quad and right hamstring, too. No exercising for me today. Heated pool spa sounds good! Spa is dirty. Scrub, scrub! Working clockwise around the spa. Scrubs, scrub! Working clockwise. Oh, here's where the spa ends and the pool begins! Man overboard! Splash! Out of pool! Oh boy, I'm wet. But hey, not too cold. Okay cold now, changing clothes. Back to the spa. Oh wait, spa heater says CE error. I meant to call that in. Shut down the spa. Go inside. Clean the bathtub. Fill up with hot water. Step with both feet in. Fire, on fire, pins and needles, on fire! Realized that feet were cold from dip in pool. Ease into it, easy, easy. Ok, in tub sweating, typing my post on tablet... Today's a rest day!

Reactions: Bare Lee
Just got back from a rather slow 4.06 miler (that 9.66 miles yesterday got me). I needed to take it easy for the 8-hour wedding I have to shoot later today. At least I will have an assistant - my 13-year old son. :) Finished the week with 37.11 miles.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts