Mileage Reporting 47th Week of 2012

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
3 mi. / 4.82 km., low 40s temp, low 30s windchill

Jogged down to the track for my intervals. First interval was supposed to be a mile. I could barely crack 10mm pace. I gave up after a lap. My legs were too stiff from yesterday's LSD run. It just wasn't going to happen. So I ran backwards for 100 yards and skipped for 120, x 2. I couldn't get my skips waist high. Too much effort.

OK, so that was two times around the track. It wasn't grooving, I thought to myself, so I'll just do a bunch of hill repeats. I can do those nice and slow and it'll still give me some speedwork-like benefit. Before I even got to the top of the first climb, I started to feel the outside of my left knee strain a bit.

OK, so I'll just do a nice 4-5 mile recovery run, I decided. Get in a little aerobic conditioning. . . . Nope. I kept stopping to try to stretch and massage out the knee strain, but it kept coming back after running a few more blocks. So I just came home--exactly three miles as I hit the driveway. I don't even want to know what the overall pace was.

This outing confirmed that yesterday's attempt at 10 miles was a bit premature. But no biggy; it was still worth it, even if it did screw up my Assorted Runs workout today. Any time I'm outside and barefoot is a good thing.

Tomorrow I'll do my Chest and Upper Arms ST workout and then see what kind of running shape I'm in on Tuesday. I doubt I'll be ready for my first shot at cruise intervals, so maybe just another leisurely recovery-type run. We'll see. I was hoping this would be the week I could fully implement my extremes-to-target program, but that might be another week or two away, hopefully before first snow fall in any case. If nothing else, today's run got rid of the last lingerings of my hangover from last night's dinner party :confused:.

This outing confirmed that yesterday's attempt at 10 miles was a bit premature. But no biggy; it was still worth it, even if it did screw up my Assorted Runs workout today. Any time I'm outside and barefoot is a good thing.
If I remember correctly, you don't typically run days successively, correct? This could be a major part in why you struggled today too. At least you got to get out for a short run today.

Reactions: happysongbird
If I remember correctly, you don't typically run days successively, correct? This could be a major part in why you struggled today too. At least you got to get out for a short run today.
Yah, it's a new thing. It will probably take a while to get used to, and I recognize that it's a bit ambitious to do the LSD run and then track work the next day. Might be a few months before I can really handle it, but it makes sense to do the longer run on the weekend, and I put the track work there too because I'm not as focused on its success as I am on the two other runs, the Tempo Run and the Cruise Intervals. Those two runs, my 'stamina' runs, are really the heart of my running routine, where I try to sustain a decent pace over a decent distance. The Assorted Runs workout (Intervals, Skips, Backwards, Hills, & Stairs) on Sunday and the LSD run are intended as supplements to the other runs, to establish the extremes of pace (speed) and distance (endurance) and also mess around a bit with range of motion and stuff. If I'm not up for assorted runs after my LSD, like what happened today, I can either rest or just do a recovery run. Alternatively, I could replace the cruise intervals with track work during the week, but I wouldn't want to do that before I've established the cruise intervals as part of my running 'repertoire.'

I like the idea of trying to get in four runs a week though. Two full days without running seems a bit long. I used to just alter Run-ST-Run-ST and not worry about what days of the week they fall on, which leads to a two-week rather than a one-week cycle. But I prefer to do my three strength training days during the week because on the weekend it's too easy to get interrupted, since I work out in the garage. So that left two of the runs on the weekend, when, once I'm out the door, no one can bother me. It also seems to make sense to have one 72-hour recovery period per week for the upper body weights, in addition to the normal 48-hour recovery periods.

So the logic of all these factors combined, together with my running goals, suggested this schedule to me:

Su: Assorted Runs (speed), or recovery run (endurance) & Bottom ST (calves, quads, hammies)
M: Front ST (chest& upper arms)
Tu: One-mile Cruise Intervals (stamina)
W: Back ST (lower back, glutes, hips, quads, hammies)
Th: Tempo Run (stamina)
F: Top ST (shoulders, lats, neck, forearms)
Sa: LSD Run (endurance)

OCD on display.

Reactions: Sid and NickW
So after last run, had a think, and reflected on comments made here (thanks again) and decided on a new route and trail for today, and bf/vff mix.

Did 5.2k, (2.8 vff, 2,4 bf) much better route, less technical for the bf segement but still challenging enough to ensure i improve the soles, and also keep an eye on form.
The bit from last week that i failed to do bf, i did in my vibrams, and even with these its a challenge and you have to tread lighly and carefully (despite the spyrdons excellent rock plate) - proved to me, its well above my current bf level!

Enjoyed the mix of vff and bf, when doing vff i can concentrate on form, and try to mimic bf form, and when doing bf I kind of just go with the flow and 'feel it' (and of course try to to tread on something painful :)) with the aim of replicating it in vffs.

Cadence is improving, this time avg of 184, and far less time dropping below 180. Definitely a result of bf, as my bf sections are slightly higher still (190+)

Ya Lee, I like the 4 days of running a week. For me it just feels good. Tentatively I think I am going to do something similar to this:

Mon: Med. run (3.5 to 5.5)
Tues: Med run (3.5 to 5.5)
Wed: Off
Thursday: Short run (2-3)
Friday: Long run (7+)
Weekends (races or occasional group run with the OR crazies)

Hey, I've blabbered incessantly about my short-term running goals. I was just wondering if you have something you're working up to right now, or if you're just taking it as it comes until you're rid of your knee and PF stuff for good.
Well, I'm slowly working on getting faster. No real goals, but I have a 5k race I'm doing in a couple weeks and I would kind of like to see if I can beat my post-back surgery PR of 27:32. I guess I am also just trying to get better and fully healthy, especially as I signed up for the Warrior Dash for next fall/end of summer. Hoping to lose weight, but struggling with diet right now thanks to being so busy with school and taking the easy way out with crap foods.

Reactions: Sid
10.7 miles thru the slush and snow with the dog. Weather is awesome here with current temps sitting at 3 degrees C. Funniest moment when Hazel was tracking a squirrel that was running along a power line at full tilt (yes she was dragging me along as well), and she plowed right into a packed snow bank, I was laughing so hard while she was trying to pull her head out of the snow. By the way she lost the squirrel, i think she was more pissed about that.

Well, I'm slowly working on getting faster. No real goals, but I have a 5k race I'm doing in a couple weeks and I would kind of like to see if I can beat my post-back surgery PR of 27:32. I guess I am also just trying to get better and fully healthy, especially as I signed up for the Warrior Dash for next fall/end of summer. Hoping to lose weight, but struggling with diet right now thanks to being so busy with school and taking the easy way out with crap foods.
Cool, good luck on the 5k. For diet, keep your fridge stocked with fruits and berries. When you feel like eating crap, eat a mango or something.

3.5 this morning. Uneventful. After last night's passing out, I thought I was goign to wake up like a beast all ready to go at 430. Instead, I snoozed till 5, got ready by 520, then literally stood at the door trying to convince myself to leave and run rather than go back to bed. In the end, I decided that my dh would see me sleeping on the couch in my running clothes and be ashamed by my lack of motivation (couldn't be further from the truth, since he knows how tired I've been, but hey, it got me out the door). So I did it. Wasn't half bad, at least by the end, but by then I had to get back home.

1.5 barefoot miles today, was thinking of doing more but the wet salted roads at -6C did not feel good. On top of that my dog decided to do his business in the middle of a big snow bank. So while wading in there to pick it up was just enough to push me over the edge and go home. Thinking of going out later today if the roads warm up somewhat.

In the end, I decided that my dh would see me sleeping on the couch in my running clothes and be ashamed by my lack of motivation (couldn't be further from the truth, since he knows how tired I've been, but hey, it got me out the door).
You always say DH, and maybe I've missed it elsewhere, but knowing how crazy we bf/minimalist runners are, does DH stand for Dead Husband, Dedicated Husband, Dumba** Husband, Deserving Husband, etc...?

Well, only did 1.08 on the dreadmill in huaraches. My right shin and knee started hurting so I stopped and tried to walk it off. Once at 1.25 miles total the pain was still there so I decided to call it. I had made the mistake this morning of telling the wife that the wind was really whipping and gusting around here at the house and she then remembered a little while ago when a bigger branch fell from the wind and landed on the stroller, so needless to say she freaked out and told me the only way I am going running is if I go to the gym and run on the treadmill. Now, I am a man and it did cross my mind to ignore her and just go run my normal route, but then I thought better of it because if something did actually happen my butt would be toast.

Cadence is improving, this time avg of 184, and far less time dropping below 180. Definitely a result of bf, as my bf sections are slightly higher still (190+)

Technobear, how do you measure your cadence ? I haven't found a decent app that does it well enough. I used iSmoothrun, but since moving to the iPhone5 it just does not record my cadence correctly

Today (my Tuesday) I did 10km slow pace, to recover from my weekend's 20km...I was surprised that my feet (sole) handled it pretty well, no pain at all. It is now almost a year since I started my barefoot experience, and it is starting to really pay off (hope so !!)

While I still have a slight pain in my right ankle (on the inside, and only when I stretch my foot), it does not bother me while I run, and it does not seem to get worse, so I suspect it is normal fatigue, but I will take it easy this week, just to make sure it does not get worse

Strength training chest and upper arms. Felt a little under the weather so did 175 max bench, but then picked up steam and got a nice pump on the dips, bis & tris stuff, and Hindu push-ups. Then walked 2.2 miles to pick up the kids. Thought about taking the car but it was close to 60 F, had to take advantage of these temps. Who knows when we'll see them again? It was also good to stretch out the legs a bit in prep for tomorrow's attempt at cruise intervals . . . hope the weekend's knee strain is gone by then.