Mileage Reporting 47th week 2013

Larry

Barefooters
Sep 13, 2012
Happy Monday everybody!

Very slow 5km on the beach this morning to recover from my fun run yesterday. I was surprised by how stiff I was, and I can't say for sure if running was a good idea today. The sunrise was nice though, so it was still a great morning. I finished up with a bit of wading in the ocean - I don't know if that does anything for you, but I see footage of real athletes doing that stuff after a game so there must be something in it.

Using a day off and I decided to try my hand, errr, feet at some cross-country/trail type of running in a nearby open space preserve. It definitely made me work some muscles in different ways and I had to ease up from running after about 25 minutes. Took some pics of this new running area.

NTneyqg.jpg

a5M8S62.jpg

AGChWtY.jpg

It would probably be good and nice to try to get a run in there once a week or so.

Quick lunchtime run in -14 degrees with the windchill. Lots of slush (surprisingly enough) after our big dump of snow over the weekend to contend with so went with the Luna's for this one. Got a modest 9km in about 50 minutes. Was running with a friend who was completing a 60km training run today in prep for running Across The Years 72 hour in Arizona at the end of December. Wanted to go this year to, but circumstances would not allow it.

Quick lunchtime run in -14 degrees with the windchill. Lots of slush (surprisingly enough) after our big dump of snow over the weekend to contend with so went with the Luna's for this one. Got a modest 9km in about 50 minutes. Was running with a friend who was completing a 60km training run today in prep for running Across The Years 72 hour in Arizona at the end of December. Wanted to go this year to, but circumstances would not allow it.
I've got an ultra on my bucket list and that one may be it, only the 24 hr not the 72. Won't be this year, but maybe in a couple years timeframe. My folks just moved out to Phoenix this year so I would have a free place to stay prior to and after. Temps shouldn't be bad either at that time of year.

I just did a 9,3 km run (with walk breaks) out in the rainy weather in the lovely forest. Damn I just love it!
It went great. My feet do tell me after those 7-8 km that now they really want to stop and rest, but then I walk a bit more and they are fine. No issues with the calves, just a bit tight the normal way you expect from a little running. The muscles in my feet, underneath, the ones that do that we can press down with the big toe, they are now the ones that seem to not keep up with my desired pace. I'll listen to them. Last week I seemed to have doms in my feet and rested a lot and now they are fine again. I expect the same reaction now and will rest until they're good to go again :)

4 miles cross country this morning, and cold and windy enough to add into the Winter Challenge. I did better handling the uneven terrain today, was smart enough to use a few walk breaks when needed and did a better job of pacing myself overall. It feels really good to run barefoot like that, I got to run over dirt, matted grass, asphalt, and a short bit of gravel even. I kind of both massaged and explored my feet with my hands last night and was amazed to find how much more muscular and solid they feel now. They still aren't fully developed, but they're much different than what they were like at the end of May this year.

6.4km this morning, still feeling quite sore in the calves after my 12km fun run on Sunday but it's getting better. It's been a while since I've been really sore after a run, so it is fun to be reliving the agony of attacking sore calves with my rolling pin.

The beach was overcast and drab, and I ran past a few dead mutton birds - short-tailed shearwater, a migratory bird that flies about 15,000 km each year from Bass Straight at the bottom of Australia to the Bering Sea between Russia and Alaska - and back. They don't all make it, so each year we get a bunch of them washed up on the beach, which is always a little sad. I'm comforted by the fact that there are still literally millions of them that do make it each year. I ran past one that was sitting on the beach looking very tired - it stirred a little as I went past, so I said a few encouraging words to it. I'm sure that was helpful.

Worse still, there was a dead seal washed up on the shore. Sad for me, but I guess the local sharks will be waiting for the tide to change with a little bit of excitement.

8 miles on Wildwood and today I enjoyed it -especially since the unevenness of the trails, realigned my hips. My hips had gone out of alignment during one of my last pavement runs, because of running with a leg length discrepancy on a flat surface - and when they go out of alignment, I get a chain reaction of problems INCLUDING everyone's favorite, plantar fasciitis on my long leg side (it gets t...ired of taking up slack and takes it out on my arch)!!! I can only run on pavement, from now on, WITH huaraches with a thickness difference to account for my leg length difference. Unfortunately, the luna/brancas that I sneak around wearing at work, are too form-fitting to run in (cuz as they shift around, the sole thickness changes and they are unable to effectively balance my leg length discrepancy) - I have tried running with them before, and what happens is, I end up with trigger points all around the inner and outer ankle of my right foot, because the ridge where the shoe has molded to my foot makes that big of a difference. So...that means, unless I can come up with a CHEAP solution to this problem -which would involve cutting up all sorts of "shoes" from Goodwill, glue, sail canvas thread/needle, and time to experiment- I will NOT be running a half ON PAVEMENT (which I have scheduled for December 15th).

About an Olympic tri "distance" swim in my pool, based on compararive times. Then, 60 minutes on the spin bike. Worked on steps getting bread baked during my transitions. Really.

What's the distance, and how long did it take you, btw?
And yes, I believe you. When I do weights at home, between sets I do laundry, get kids doing math and reading, cook, bake, check things in oven. Not quite multitasking because it is actually switching tasks.

What's the distance, and how long did it take you, btw?
And yes, I believe you. When I do weights at home, between sets I do laundry, get kids doing math and reading, cook, bake, check things in oven. Not quite multitasking because it is actually switching tasks.

I swam a total of 30 minutes, 5 minute warm up, less than a minute rest, then into the 25 without stopping. Based on my time of just over 11 minutes for the sprint distance, I think it would be sufficient time to get done with the longer distance. :) I also wasn't out of breath. I could of kept going, but thought it best to not push the arms too much at once.

Reactions: Bare Lee
A couple of milestones today, went over 100 miles of barefoot running and did my coldest barefoot run yet, sub-freezing with temp about 29 to start and 32 at the end.

7 miles at avg 9:51 pace today. Felt pretty good once I worked off the whatever it was making me have the shakes (felt like when my body needs food only I imagine this was probably caused from the food I ate for dinner last night, pancakes, cheesy eggs, and bacon). Anyhow, great run and I think one of my running goals is to just be able to run long distances at a sub 10 minute pace. Feels pretty comfortable at that pace for me now.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts