Mileage Reporting 46th Week of 2012

7.16 miles at a nice easy 12:25 avg pace. I did the first 1.29 miles in the skoras, then because it's such a beautiful day out and my feet were warm I went barefoot for 1.65 miles until I hit the harsh not fun section. I threw on my huaraches at this point because I really didn't want to put my feet back into warm shoes and ran the remaining 4.22 miles in those. Was a great run and the flooded section was back down a bit so I was able to cross again with the stroller and I decided to extend out my run and run some rougher sections that I haven't run in several months. It was so awesome with the huaraches on I could barely feel the pointy bits and I was actually able to focus on enjoying everything around me, from the marshes, to the hawk that was too big for the branch he tried to land on, to the little squirrels scurrying around collecting pine cones and acorns. I do love my area for running if I don't have to worry about the pain from the pointy bits.

I guess it's a trade-off. I have pretty tame surfaces, but the residential scenery is even tamer :(.
Yes I guess it is. I have this huge huge park with a lot of marsh land just 1.3 miles from the house. Once in the park it is great for bf running until you get past the flooded section about 1/2-3/4 of a mile. Then it gets pointy and that crap hurts, which I just am not going to run bf if I don't have to. I don't enjoy pain. Most of the rest of the park I run barefoot and love it, it's a cake walk and very easy to run without pain and I can run that as much as I want a week bf (within reason that is). That first 1.3 miles down to the park doesn't hurt much to run on, except for a 100'ish foot stretch, but it is really a gritty like surface which running multiple times a week wears down the soles pretty fast. I can only run barefoot on that stretch maybe twice a week. More than that and I get holes worn in my feet.

So I am trying to get used to running in shoes again, barefooting large mileage in snow is just not practical (I have a 135 km trail relay in Feb) . I ran 5 miles tonight in my MT110's and I feel like I just ran 50 miles, why does running in shoes have to suck so much.

why does running in shoes have to suck so much.

I think this applies to anything where you have to wear shoes !!! The other day I had to spend the whole day with my work shoes (thing I haven't done for a few months now), and coming back home, not only my feet were hurting a lot, but my knee also started swelling !!

6 mi this morning, late out the door, like really late (5:45)
It started out super dark, only a sliver moon, nice.
Slowly, on the way back, the predawn light emerged and I could see the road.
It was 22-23 degrees F, and I used sandals w/ the extra thin injinji socks. It worked perfectly and my feet were fine. I was glad to not wear the soft stars (which now feel so thick and too warm), and am now thinking I can save those for below 20 degrees, go for socks and sandals as long as it's dry up to that point.

I was forced a full day off of all exercise yesterday----tried to sleep in (though the cats tormented me so no good sleep), then was going to run bf on campus in the afternoon since I didn't have to pick up the kids, but then an assignment and meeting took way longer than it should of and I was stuck late just working in the office. I was all boo hoo about it at the time, but it did my legs lots of good. This morning's run felt nice, all the way through.

lovely day today, did 4k (1.5k vff, 2.5k bf) ... but was a bit of a disappointment in someways.

decided to extend last run and continue at top of hill.
I'd hoped the trail would improve (less gravel) when i got to the top, but it did'nt, it actually got worst - so ended up doing a bit of mixture of BF running and walking, and even doing this, even being careful, I managed to bruise my left sole quite badly... so ended up having to put on the vffs.
Fortunately, after I did this, the sole started feeling better very quickly, and after 500m (when i got back to the road), i surprised myself, and decided to take them off again and BF run the last 700m back to village.

I guess its not all bad, any BF practice including walking is good for me at the moment, and except for the technical bit i was definitely running much better.
but disappointing since it looks like my favourite trail is going to be too technical for awhile yet.

so im going to have to rethink my plan abit...
a) need to work out why i bruised my sole.... im landing midfoot ok, just i then role the sole onto small stones (about 3cm dia) as i move back to the heel (to relax calf). from the books, this seems like the right form - but it doesnt take many of those to hurt alot.
b) route... the road, tracks with some gravel, some stones seem fine... but constant gravel, and small stones is too technical. (sole destroying :) )

so i think perhaps - do BF on easier surfaces (roads, easier tracks), VFF on more technical stuff...and might need to plan a route than gets this balance right, perhaps aim for 25/50/25% (bf, vff, bf)

its a pain, as i really wanted to move to only BF for first few months (as per ken bobs book),
but really i think, i have to work within my limitations... im happy to push myself, but really its not much fun running constantly running on stuff that hurts :)

thoughts? suggestions?

Reactions: Sid
but really i think, i have to work within my limitations... im happy to push myself, but really its not much fun running constantly running on stuff that hurts :)

thoughts? suggestions?
T-Bear, you're going to have to find out what kind of barefoot runner you are, through experimenting and experience. Are you a purist like Ken Bob? Do you mostly like sandals or Vibrams? Do enjoy focusing on your run more than on your feet? There's a huge amount of variation among us and there's no one right way. Follow your bliss. That will give you the right answer. No one else can.

T-Bear, you're going to have to find out what kind of barefoot runner you are, through experimenting and experience. Are you a purist like Ken Bob? Do you mostly like sandals or Vibrams? Do enjoy focusing on your run more than on your feet? There's a huge amount of variation among us and there's no one right way. Follow your bliss. That will give you the right answer. No one else can.
Technobear, Lee's advice is spot on. I am one of those that tried to go purist for quite a while, but I've found I am more of a minimalist depending on the running surface. If I run in the one half of the park by my house, I love to be barefoot, but if I get to the other side I want my sandals or minshoes. The sidewalks close to my house I prefer sandals or minshoes. You just have to find what works for YOU. I've found I love the feeling of barefoot if the running surface is very easy, but if my feet start hurting at all from running on surfaces like chip seal, then I prefer to run in sandals or minshoes. More power to those who like to run on those surfaces too, but for me it just strips away the fun for me if I am in pain.

Cheers, very sound advice, easy to slip into all or none mentality

... Actually, originally id not planned on BF at all, but ken bobs advice to learn BF then move to minshoes If you wish, makes sense to me, ie bf helps you to get your form right.
( i dont think my form is that bad, as even shod, id given up heel strike/over striding long ago, and ive not had injuries)

I think now, i look to bf as a training exercise, and mix it with pleasurable running in fivefingers :)

Sound like a reasonable transition plan?

Reactions: NickW

... Actually, originally id not planned on BF at all, but ken bobs advice to learn BF then move to minshoes If you wish, makes sense to me, ie bf helps you to get your form right.
( i dont think my form is that bad, as even shod, id given up heel strike/over striding long ago, and ive not had injuries)

I think now, i look to bf as a training exercise, and mix it with pleasurable running in fivefingers :)

I think there's probably something to be said for starting out pure barefoot, to learn good form, but I don't really know what your running background is, or what kind of challenges you enjoy. I came to barefoot running as a barefooter, so I didn't have any transition for toughening up the soles. For me, it was mostly about getting back into shape, and then, figuring out that I needed to massage my lower legs to alleviate top of the foot pain. I personally embrace the challenges of running in different temps and terrains barefoot, but I have my limits, and I also like running without thinking about my feet too much. Still, if I go too long without (mild) chipseal, I miss it. The tingling afterwards is mildly orgasmic. But I can see how that's not for everyone. I've also run on pure, gnarly gravel once, and although I could deal with it, I had to go really slow and didn't feel like I got a very good run in, qua run. But perhaps if I ran on it all the time I would speed up. Hard to say, as there's no hard core gravel near my house.

Really debating with myself this morning, to run or not to run? I had originally planned to take today off because of yesterdays long run and Wednesdays fast paced run, but I surprisingly feel so darn good I just want to get out there for a short couple miles. Should I? Or would I be pressing my luck? Man, the choices the choices.

Reactions: Bare Lee

From someone who now mostly runs minimal (in huaraches), I will say that for the first 3-4 months I did benefit from going pure barefoot as much as possible(I did go minimal when I needed to, especially when winter hit and I had no ability to deal w/ cold). It took some doing (going to the track, planning out places where I could find sidewalk, taking rough surfaces in small doses----it was more like planning to bf than planning to run distances, and I would run back and forth if that's all I could do on a certain stretch and stay bf)
However, I was quite the heel striker and a hard lander. I never even went bf in the house much previously. I needed plenty of time and every advantage possible to reinforce and train new muscle memory.
Also, going pure bf really helps prevent too much too soon, since your skin will tire before you go too far (and way before you can feel it in other more painful places like tendons, hopefully).

Couldn't resist, went out for a very slow 2.51 miles in huaraches. I went exploring around the neighborhood and had to stop and use Google Maps a couple times to make sure that I did not get too far away from the house. I also found something pokey under a leaf and was thanking my lucky stars that I had not been barefoot. It hurt pretty bad and actually poked through the rubber sole and leather upper of my 4mm homemade huaraches. Ouch! That would have really done some damage to a fully bare foot. It may have been a green gumball, not sure. I didn't stop to look what it was, I instead was kind of hobbling for a couple steps. Overall it was a great run, although I had apparently ran downhill more than I thought and the route I took back home was a lot more and steeper of an uphill than I had planned for. Oh well, still feeling really good. 17.88 miles for the week!

yesss another full 30-minute BF run, but still only amounted to about 2 miles (2.5 total workout).

That makes 4 days in a row now with some kind of workout, either cycling or running. And I'll be cycling both Saturday and Sunday, and hopefully running again on Monday. :barefoot:

yesss another full 30-minute BF run, but still only amounted to about 2 miles (2.5 total workout).

That makes 4 days in a row now with some kind of workout, either cycling or running. And I'll be cycling both Saturday and Sunday, and hopefully running again on Monday. :barefoot:
Way to go Patrick! Keep it up. Eventually you're going to be telling us that you signed up for a tri or a duathalon or something.

Support Your Club

Natural Running Center

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts