Mileage Reporting 46th Week of 2012

8 miles total, 3 in my Moc3s, then 5 barefoot after I was warmed up. Managed to return home with a small gouge in my left foot that I don't remember getting! Ran without my watch because I really wanted to relax and work on form with the Moc3s. Did have one toe duct taped due to rubbing from my speed work in them on Saturday. Ironic to have to do that because of shoes...

High point of the run was that I actually felt like I was just warming up at mile 7. I think I may be able to increase my mileage soon.

Had fun chatting with a shod runner who came along side of me at the beginning of mile 8, for half a mile. He was interested in barefoot running and it was fun to talk to him about it. He may show up here!

Last Saturday I felt a some belly unease after eating some Greek goat yoghurt that had been open for several weeks. I normally have a strong stomach and so felt invulnerable but my gastric bravado got the better of me this time.

Excuse the sexism here, and ladies enlighten me about how this is biased thinking, but what is it about men and trying to see what they can digest without dying? There, I said it. I suppose my sample size is unbalanced, since I have more male friends than female friends, but I'm around and grew up with sisters and plenty of other females. I don't recall women ever making a point about eating iffy food, but I can name and name and name the men I've known who just HAD to say and follow through with statements to the effect of "what?! It looks fine. I bet it's okay. It tastes fine. It hasn't been in the fridge that long. The "use by" dates are just suggestions/scams/etc. I'm not throwing that food away....blah blah blah....."

And excuse the armchair anthropology/evolutionary psychology (what category does this even fit into?), but wouldn't selection have taken care of this? Or is it an evolutionary advantage? As in "gosh, if only I can eat this and survive long enough to pass on my genes" Or is it a general sense of adventure that spills (or barfs, as it were) over into food adventures?

but howya gonna pass on those genes while you're doubled over from GI pain?? Eh????

Just givin grief. hope you feel better.
;)

Reactions: Bare Lee and NickW
Oh, and this morning I did a little 3.5 around the nbhd, soft stars, yeah, coulda done sandals (it was high 20s), but didn't feel like messing w/it.
1.5 with my boy at dusk, chatted about farts, how he wants to learn karate, and how to break a block of wood with his bare hands ;)
Daughter stayed home. She's got anti-mom attitude this week. Who can blame her. I annoy.

Yesterday actually did a gym workout. Meh. Nice to be there and not at home rushing to do strength training at home between dealing w/kids, cooking, housework. On the other hand, it was crowded and I couldn't get my hands on a (stability) ball and a mat space. I hate it when people take 5 minute breaks on equipment. Oh, well, did elliptical (boring) and gave my legs a rest day from running.

Excuse the sexism here, and ladies enlighten me about how this is biased thinking, but what is it about men and trying to see what they can digest without dying? There, I said it. I suppose my sample size is unbalanced, since I have more male friends than female friends, but I'm around and grew up with sisters and plenty of other females. I don't recall women ever making a point about eating iffy food, but I can name and name and name the men I've known who just HAD to say and follow through with statements to the effect of "what?! It looks fine. I bet it's okay. It tastes fine. It hasn't been in the fridge that long. The "use by" dates are just suggestions/scams/etc. I'm not throwing that food away....blah blah blah....."

And excuse the armchair anthropology/evolutionary psychology (what category does this even fit into?), but wouldn't selection have taken care of this? Or is it an evolutionary advantage? As in "gosh, if only I can eat this and survive long enough to pass on my genes" Or is it a general sense of adventure that spills (or barfs, as it were) over into food adventures?

but howya gonna pass on those genes while you're doubled over from GI pain?? Eh????

Just givin grief. hope you feel better.
;)
You women trained us men to test the food for you so you all wouldn't get sick or die... You all make the babies and carry them for so long, so it's more important for you to live than us men. Apparently it's now hardwired into us though to test the food... :D

You women trained us men to test the food for you so you all wouldn't get sick or die... You all make the babies and carry them for so long, so it's more important for you to live than us men. Apparently it's now hardwired into us though to test the food... :D

I can see the made for tv based on a truthy-ish story taking advantage of your male willingness to eat any poison----er----ah----food that might have gone bad----that a plotting villainess might throw. See, tv is always right.

Reactions: NickW
I think Nick is onto something there. We males grow up instinctively taking unnecessary risks, and that instinct is reinforced in contact sports. It's rewarding to assume the first line of defense for my family, but I don't always enjoy being treated as dispensable. Fortunately, I don't normally have to fulfill the role of food-taster. Whenever something is doubtful, I usually pass it under my wife's nose. She has a fantastic nose. She can practically smell the neighbors farting. But this was Daddy's yoghurt, the yoghurt I eat with my berries and banana every morning, and I'm too frugal to just through it out. My parents grew up in the Great Depression, and that culture of frugality got passed on to me. If I had asked my wife, she surely would've told me to have thrown it out. I guess Scedastic is right, there was an element of male bluster involved. But my gastric bravado harkens more back to my traveling days. The first six months I got stomach stuff fairly frequently, but then something changed, and pretty soon I could eat crap that would leave other travelers running for the can, both ends burning. Even in Mozambique, during my fieldwork stint, I would get sick to my stomach considerably less than the locals, including my wife. And I'm not even sure it was the 3-to-4-week-old Greek yoghurt. If it were, you'd think it would've passed in 24 hours, right? So I'm wondering if it isn't a low-level virus of some kind.

Anyway, today I should be fine for my ST workout, and then hopefully by tomorrow it'll have passed for good and I can keep working on my pace during my next run. The great news from yesterday's run is that the left knee was completely niggleless. I didn't even ice it afterwards. So Nick will be relieved to have me stop talking about it constantly. I'm just so happy now to be running decently again. Injuries really make you appreciate just being able to run, no matter what the distance or pace. Not sure if I'll be up for intervals down on the track tomorrow, but we'll see. I haven't yet run on that sandy gravel in colder temps, but the highs should be in the 40s all week, so it'd be nice to get in a few intervals sessions before the cold wind from Valhalla (Winnipeg) descends on us for good.

P.S., Nick don't be surprised if our teams meet on wildcard weekend.

Last Saturday I felt a some belly unease after eating some Greek goat yoghurt that had been open for several weeks. ...
Next day, a mild purge began. I was going to run, but felt out of sorts, no appetite. Watched the Vikes, and hung out with the family.
Yeah, after mild food poisoning, you deserve a day or two off!
Hey Sid, seems like you're made a lot of progress since I last heard about your running. Way to go!
Thanks! I think that I'm more consistent after working on base building. I'm going to try adding a bit more distance on those longer runs.

Reactions: Bare Lee
k, was scheduled to run yesterday, but missed it, partly due to running errands, but also the wet and cold wasnt too inspiring!

what a difference a day makes, sunny 15C and blue skies, got out and did 3.2k = 1k vff, 2.2k bf
2.2 bf is my longest yet, and also to the top of the hill, which is a minor milestone. (from this point, it gets a bit more undulating, and less technical)
not surprisingly, still very sensitive on soles, but does feel like its improving slightly. though had to walk a few meters BF, as the trail is, in places, too technical for my feet at this time. tarmac seemed a bit better, i think as i ensuring i picked up my feet more, and actively avoid scuffing.

funny thing is, i was sweating, not due to physical exertion, but mental...pure concentration on the trail, and the trying to get a better form... after reading ken bobs book, there just seems so much to think about!

cant wait to get out again, but will resist, tommorow off... and then do the same thing again friday, assuming no issues from todays run.

I think Nick is onto something there. We males grow up instinctively taking unnecessary risks, and that instinct is reinforced in contact sports. It's rewarding to assume the first line of defense for my family, but I don't always enjoy being treated as dispensable. Fortunately, I don't normally have to fulfill the role of food-taster. Whenever something is doubtful, I usually pass it under my wife's nose. She has a fantastic nose. She can practically smell the neighbors farting. .

See, that's my evolutionary advantage, too.
You don't need an ironclad stomach if you can smell something foul from a mile away.
But mostly my sense of smell is a curse not a blessing. Every now and again, I can catch a whiff of spring flowers faintly drifting on the wind from far away that no one else can. Mostly, though, with a strong sense of smell, you learn that NO ONE brushes their teeth enough.

Take a day off and sleep in. Let go of your macho pride woman!
Couldn't. Even woke up at 3:30 to reset my alarm not to go off. The body was up, the brain was agitated by 5am. So I figured may as well workout the stress eating from teh night before.
However, I did skip the usual post run strength training in order to make big special breakfast for the kids.
BTW Lee, so glad to know your knee is ready for running.
I too have been mostly niggle free except the tight calf on the left in the am mostly only, oh, and tiredness. Not a hint of any other TOFP, tendon, or anything else. I believe it's simply the last two weeks of taking it easy (no 45 mile weeks for a while) and rolling more regularly.

P.S., Nick don't be surprised if our teams meet on wildcard weekend.
Well, that's possible but I doubt it. I think, if I remember correctly, our teams are actually competing with each other FOR that wildcard spot. Seattle owns the tiebreaker. ;) Actually, we have a bye week this week and with San Fran tying with St Louis this past weekend we are still in the hunt for our own division. I think they play the Bears this weekend and we need them (San Fran) to lose. We also need the Bucs to lose as well in terms of the wild card spot. They are muddying up the wildcard spot horribly bad.

Well, that's possible but I doubt it. I think, if I remember correctly, our teams are actually competing with each other FOR that wildcard spot. Seattle owns the tiebreaker. ;) Actually, we have a bye week this week and with San Fran tying with St Louis this past weekend we are still in the hunt for our own division. I think they play the Bears this weekend and we need them (San Fran) to lose. We also need the Bucs to lose as well in terms of the wild card spot. They are muddying up the wildcard spot horribly bad.
Yah, I was thinking you guys might take the division, 3rd or 4th seed, we'd get a wild card spot. But it's football, nobody has any real idea of how it's going to turn out.

Couldn't. Even woke up at 3:30 to reset my alarm not to go off. The body was up, the brain was agitated by 5am. So I figured may as well workout the stress eating from teh night before.
However, I did skip the usual post run strength training in order to make big special breakfast for the kids.
BTW Lee, so glad to know your knee is ready for running.
I too have been mostly niggle free except the tight calf on the left in the am mostly only, oh, and tiredness. Not a hint of any other TOFP, tendon, or anything else. I believe it's simply the last two weeks of taking it easy (no 45 mile weeks for a while) and rolling more regularly.
I know the feeling, as soon as I wake up, my mind starts racing, and it's usually pointless trying to go back to sleep. That's part of the reason this stomach bug is dragging on. I haven't been able to rest properly.

I'm still knocking on wood about the knee. I would be great to be able to run for more than a month or two without something happening. I guess I had good run from mid spring to mid summer. I'm still wearing a knee brace, now on both knees, to make sure the joint stays nice and warm, but I didn't bother with icing after yesterday's run, and have put the lotions and pills back up on the shelf. Can hardly wait until tomorrow's run . . .

Great to here you're on the verge of nigglelessness as well. Did you ever take up my suggestion of rolling the front of the lower leg too?

Couldn't. Even woke up at 3:30 to reset my alarm not to go off. The body was up, the brain was agitated by 5am.

How do people run in the morning? I dont have a problem getting out the door, but have zero energy in the morning, feels like ive got lead weights around my ankles when im climbing my hill - so no fun. But leave it till about midday then im fine.

Is it im just not a morning guy? Anyone else had this problem and overcome ... excluding morning people :)

Reactions: happysongbird