Mileage Reporting 46th Week of 2012

scedastic

Barefooters
Oct 7, 2011
And there are only 52 weeks total, to my understanding? Time waits for no man...................

so i did around 6.5 windy windy windy windy warm miles on a route that i don't think i've done since last Christmas day.
I was in my sandals,
partially on unpleasant dirt with big rocky gravel on top roads for about 2.5 miles total, the rest on rough but ok chip seal. Directly into the wind on the first 1.25 miles. Like having one of those training parachutes on my back. And a person pulling on the training parachute, in a wagon, with an anvil tied to the back, dragging behind it. Road debris everywhere. Leaves, twigs, me.
Had no choice though but to "pick it up" on the way back. Wind wouldn't have it any other way.

storms 'a'comin' in a few hours, and apparently by tomorrow it will be cold rain/snow mix and a chilly wind.

Hi, im just starting out on the BF adventure, so wont be contributing too many miles, but thought id join in, see how i progress over time :)

ive done a bit in vff, before last week, but last week did 3 x 2k runs, and saturday did 15k mountain biking (run rest). Main acheivement was friday, when did my first 1k BF... Gravel was sharper than expected :) and feet were a little 'warm' afterwards but no real drama.

Today, 2.2k in rain and sleet - first 1k vff then 1.2k bf ... Wow, did the ground feel cold, toes a little numb at end, gravel still unpleasant but wet mud oozing thru your feet is nice ... Also feet recovered alot quicker than friday.

My aim is to do 4-5 2-3k runs this week (same 50/50 vff/bf format), and a bit on the bike in between... But will depend to avoid TMTS
really missing my longer runs i was doing when shod :(

Oh and we've got 2-3cm of snow here in southern spain!

Let's see what my activites included today.
  • 1 hour of snow shovelling, so we could get in and out of our garage with the truck, I wasn't barefoot but i was wearing my MT110's so I wouldn't land on my a$$ with all the ice.
  • Cart racing with my son at Costco, you know when you run and jump onto the cart and see how far you can go. All was good until we got outside, then it was no riding for me just pushing. I was wearing my MT110's for that one two.
  • 2 hours of ceiling demolition in my basement, utilizing a bunch of minimalistic tools like my VFF's for my feet, a drywall saw and a combination of crow bars for my hands. That was until I decided to get smart and pull out the power tools to cut the balance of the ceiling, dooh!
  • Potentially more shovelling tonight since it is till snowing and I see it building up before my eyes on the sidewalks, etc.
  • Hopefully a quick 3 mile run around the neighbourhood to complete the day. Yay.

I forced myself to get off my butt and do 4.4 cold, wet miles today. I almost didn't go, but am glad I did. It ended up just wet, not raining, and not windy like at our house. I took our two dogs with me for the first time in a long time, and it went very well. Usually I end up getting pulled this way and that, you know, things to sniff and bark at and all. It went quite smoothly this time though, the only problems being the labradoodle barking at two horses on the trail, and also freaking out because of a motorcycle going by on the street. Perhaps I'll include them more if they continue to behave so well. :barefoot:

My workout today consisted of breathing exercising (controlled breathing patterns while playing the flute). It's actually quite relaxing and I do it sometimes before an event to help with the pre-race adrenaline. Something about doing all that blowing just helps some of the adrenaline drift away in the breeze.

2 miles on Sunday in 25 cm of fresh snow (10" for those who are stuck on standard dimensions). Wore Kigos but found the soft, wet snow very hard to run in. Stubbed my "toe" on a 3' snow drift that someone had blown in the street while clearing his driveway, and wound falling on my @$$, it was hard to see that one as it was still snowing like heck Reminded me of the beach run I did earlier this summer and running in soft sand. Today another 2 miles and still not good running conditions. Some of the snow was packed and good to run on but the rest of it was what I call brown snow, wet and loose and very slippery to run on. Oh the joys of living in Winnipeg, I hope that when the roads get plowed that I might get some more BF miles in if the roads are dry, not liking running in shoes, even min shoes. :(

5.01 brutal miles today. My legs are toast and I may have to take a couple days off. I started out in the Altra Instinct 1.5s that I had purchased. Inside of a quarter of a mile I was asking myself if I should stop and take them off. My lower legs (from knees down to feet) were absolutely on fire. I told myself to give it a mile and see if I can figure out whats going on and adjust. By the end of that mile I was ready to walk back home. I was done, K.O.'d as if Mike Tyson had gotten a hold of me. I took the shoes off and threw on my huaraches and stretched a little bit and that seemed to loosen the legs back up a bit so I continued on. My original plan had been to do a long run (long for me 7-8 miles), but I knew that probably wasn't happening now.

At about 2.5 miles in my legs were feeling better and I took off the sandals and started running barefoot. From this point I was exactly 1.5 miles from home and should have just gone home, instead, I let my legs fool me into thinking they were better than they were. I turned and went through the park to where it normally floods. I got to the flooded section about 3.5 miles in and noticed it was flooded worse than I had ever seen it. I started across slowly but barely made it 10-15 feet in and the water was over the front tire of the stroller and nearly lapping at my sons feet. That was my sign, I turned around and headed back home.

It wasn't long, maybe a quarter of a mile or so from this flooded section when my legs completely lost their energy. It was the strangest feeling, to have the rest of my body feel good and I was not breathing hard but my legs were just done. I ended up not making it back home (at least via running) and had to stop and stretch and then walk the last 3/4 of a mile or so. Overall I ran 1 mile in the Altras, 2.51 in my huaraches, and 1.5 barefoot. Horrible run, and now I don't know what to do with these Altras. Do I give them another chance for running? Do I relegate them to just everyday wear type shoes? Do I take them back and just be content knowing that I have the worlds funkiest feet that no shoe seems to work for? Contemplating taking time off till the Unshoe Pah Tempes get here. So frustrated right now.

(edited, sorry for the wall of text earlier and the frustration that came through)

Reactions: Bare Lee and Sid
Going to try the sidewalks tonight around the neighbourhood. Testing the waters with the dog first with the minimalist shoes, and if they are good to go, the shoes will be coming off. Ahhh winter running in Winterpeg, got to love it.

5.01 brutal miles today. My legs are toast and I may have to take a couple days off. I started out in the Altra Instinct 1.5s that I had purchased. Inside of a quarter of a mile I was asking myself if I should stop and take them off. My lower legs (from knees down to feet) were absolutely on fire. I told myself to give it a mile and see if I can figure out whats going on and adjust. By the end of that mile I was ready to walk back home. I was done, K.O.'d as if Mike Tyson had gotten a hold of me. I took the shoes off and threw on my huaraches and stretched a little bit and that seemed to loosen the legs back up a bit so I continued on. My original plan had been to do a long run (long for me 7-8 miles), but I knew that probably wasn't happening now.

At about 2.5 miles in my legs were feeling better and I took off the sandals and started running barefoot. From this point I was exactly 1.5 miles from home and should have just gone home, instead, I let my legs fool me into thinking they were better than they were. I turned and went through the park to where it normally floods. I got to the flooded section about 3.5 miles in and noticed it was flooded worse than I had ever seen it. I started across slowly but barely made it 10-15 feet in and the water was over the front tire of the stroller and nearly lapping at my sons feet. That was my sign, I turned around and headed back home.

It wasn't long, maybe a quarter of a mile or so from this flooded section when my legs completely lost their energy. It was the strangest feeling, to have the rest of my body feel good and I was not breathing hard but my legs were just done. I ended up not making it back home (at least via running) and had to stop and stretch and then walk the last 3/4 of a mile or so. Overall I ran 1 mile in the Altras, 2.51 in my huaraches, and 1.5 barefoot. Horrible run, and now I don't know what to do with these Altras. Do I give them another chance for running? Do I relegate them to just everyday wear type shoes? Do I take them back and just be content knowing that I have the worlds funkiest feet that no shoe seems to work for? Contemplating taking time off till the Unshoe Pah Tempes get here. So frustrated right now.

(edited, sorry for the wall of text earlier and the frustration that came through)
That sounds quite frustrating. :(

Spinning bike said about 25 miles in 65 minutes, but I don't believe it. I know from comparing effort and time, that it is really worth about half that much on the road bike.

My legs were VERY tight from the speed work out and dancing Saturday night, but the 30 minute swim today seemed to be just the thing to loosen them up. I was a little worried about how tight they were, so am relieved. It was snowing while I swam outside....

Reactions: Sid and dutchie53
21.56 - the song remains the same.

I'm guessing that the 8.4 I did last week (with a backpack full of clothes and lunch) was a tad too much and getting some soreness in the feets, so I'll be sticking with the wheeled contraption for a bit...

7 miles today! Whoohooo!!! :barefoot: More than I've run since I hurt my knee and my back in the spring. Probably shouldn't have gone that far, but I'll see if I pay for it tomorrow. Feel fine right now. I did most of it in my Unshoes, still trying to adjust to the cold and wet, but took them off for a couple of miles which a) was wonderful as usual and b) got rid of a little niggle in my knee.

42 BF miles this week. Temperatures 38 to 44 degrees. I'm not looking forward to colder runs.
I'm closing in on my goal milage.
My hats off to the cold weather Barefooters.

s-exercise.png

Well in the last 2-3 weeks I havent been running like I should. Once/twice per week, and 8 miles or less.

Today was my first cold run, 34F when I set out. The road surface was actually 47F though, but didnt feel like it at first. I really havent run in much under 50 yet. My feet went numb for the first 1-2 miles, and around 3-4 were fully back to normal. Got 14 miles in... been probably a month or more since I've seen that distance. All bare up till mile 11 when I hit the newly re-done chipseal and put my huaraches on.

Last Saturday I felt a some belly unease after eating some Greek goat yoghurt that had been open for several weeks. I normally have a strong stomach and so felt invulnerable but my gastric bravado got the better of me this time. So I blew off my ST workout. We went out to my wife’s university’s Africa Festival, but I couldn’t muster much enthusiasm, feeling very bloated. Still, it was great for my wife to meet some fellow Africans and get a chance to hang out with her new Portuguese-speaking friend from Brazil. Everyone gushed over our mulattoes.

Next day, a mild purge began. I was going to run, but felt out of sorts, no appetite. Watched the Vikes, and hung out with the family.

Monday, still not very feeling well, but managed to do a decent set of Chest and Upper Arms St workout, kept max weight low though. My dips, which I’ve just begun working in recently, now that my left shoulder has been good for several months, were surprisingly good. I could do several sets of full dips, 3-4 reps each. So that’s progress—I can really trust my shoulder now.

Today, more of the same. The stomach is getting better, but I felt draggy. Wondering if my weakened system is making me vulnerable to a head cold. Debated whether or not to go running, but decided even a shorter run would help me get in a good night’s sleep after several nights of waking up and keeping odd hours. So I did my tempo run, and surprised myself by doing close to 9 mm pace until my stomach started gurgling a bit after a mile and a half. On the rest of the run I slowed down a bit, and wondered if I'd be getting the shits mid-run, and therefore if I should slow down even further, but everything stayed put and I managed to maintain a decent pace the rest of the way--9:36 mm pace overall.

I confirmed that it's just at 9mm pace that my form begins to feel pretty effortless. I no longer have to worry about my left foot landing properly, and the range of motion feels decent.

Then I picked up my son from daycare and I carried him the last mile home walking, so: 3.7 miles run, one walk; 38 F, 32 windchill. A good run to set up the rest of the week.

Tomorrow I’ll do my Back ST workout.

Hey Sid, seems like you're made a lot of progress since I last heard about your running. Way to go!

Last Saturday I felt a some belly unease after eating some Greek goat yoghurt that had been open for several weeks. I normally have a strong stomach and so felt invulnerable but my gastric bravado got the better of me this time. So I blew off my ST workout. We went out to my wife’s university’s Africa Festival, but I couldn’t muster much enthusiasm, feeling very bloated. Still, it was great for my wife to meet some fellow Africans and get a chance to hang out with her new Portuguese-speaking friend from Brazil. Everyone gushed over our mulattoes.

Next day, a mild purge began. I was going to run, but felt out of sorts, no appetite. Watched the Vikes, and hung out with the family.

Monday, still not very feeling well, but managed to do a decent set of Chest and Upper Arms St workout, kept max weight low though. My dips, which I’ve just begun working in recently, now that my left shoulder has been good for several months, were surprisingly good. I could do several sets of full dips, 3-4 reps each. So that’s progress—I can really trust my shoulder now.

Today, more of the same. The stomach is getting better, but I felt draggy. Wondering if my weakened system is making me vulnerable to a head cold. Debated whether or not to go running, but decided even a shorter run would help me get in a good night’s sleep after several nights of waking up and keeping odd hours. So I did my tempo run, and surprised myself by doing close to 9 mm pace until my stomach started gurgling a bit after a mile and a half. 9:36 mm pace overall. It's just at 9mm pace that my form begins to feel pretty effortless. I no longer have to worry about my left foot landing properly, and the range of motion feels decent.

Then I picked up my son from daycare and I carried him the last mile home walking, so: 3.7 miles run, one walk; 38 F, 32 windchill. A good run to set up the rest of the week.

Tomorrow I’ll do my Back ST workout.

Hey Sid, seems like you're made a lot of progress since I last heard about your running. Way to go!
Sounds like I am like you with the cast iron stomach. My wife marvels at the combinations of foods that I eat. Hahaha! Glad you're starting to feel better. Hey at least you got to watch a Vikings game were they actually won. ;) Lol! Just gotta rib you a little. Took those shoes back today and they will only exchange so I am now trying some of the Skora Base shoes. Seems to fit pretty well for me, but those with narrow feet are going to complain. I weighed my size 11.5's and they are 8.58 ozs with the insole in or 7.58 without it. Can't complain about that. I have two complaints about them so far, besides being ugly'ish. First, to stand in them they are a bit wobbly or unstable on the heel. Second, you really don't want to use these for crossfit exercises or if you are going to be doing any lateral agility movements. They are just too, I guess loose might be the right word. They don't really tighten up enough to be good for that kind of stress. I think with just the 5-10 minutes I did of running in them in the store (there's a little itty bitty miny track inside) they will be fine for my use. I didn't seem to have any unusual pains, so we'll see. Gonna try them out tomorrow, hoping they work well for me. Toes are crossed that they do anyhow. Oh, and they are 9mm thick with the insole removed or 13mm with the insole in.

Reactions: Bare Lee