Mileage Reporting 43rd Week 2013

Bare Lee

Barefooters
Jul 25, 2011
Saint Paul
Sunday 3:30 am start
6.7 mi /10.78 km
32 F / 0C

Woke up earlier than I wanted to--ate too many spicy cashews at the family dance party the night before.
[...]
Then I lay in bed going over my options:

1.) go back to sleep.
2.) run-commute to my office.
3.) do my front st routine.
4.) go on a mezzo run.

I didn't run Saturday, so I kinda wanted to do a make-up run. Otherwise it would be too long between last Thursday's long run and this coming Tuesday's mezzo run. But that would mean doing a double-day at some point this week in order to get in my three regular runs and four st sessions. I decided mis' well do it today. So I headed out with the idea of running 3-4 miles on my way to the office, and then lift when I came back in the afternoon.

It had been a week or two since I did a mezzo or macro run early in the morning. The moon was beautiful, the sky pretty clear, the air cool and crisp, the streets and sidewalks mostly dry. With temps around freezing, I put on my sweat pants for the first time since last spring, and broke out my Merino turtle neck 'tech top' to layer on top of my Merino t-shirt.

The ground was a little frosty, and my feet got a little numb in spots, but it felt great to be running again, after a day off, and three days since my 16-miler on Thursday. So I extended the intended run by a few miles. Nobody around so I ran out in the middle of the streets at least half the time. I really like how the macro runs make the mezzo distances seem so reasonable.

Someone's lawn sprinkler provided me with an ice-cold puddle. Yum. Gotta keep the grass green for as long as possible I guess.

this morning: some amount of miles at dawn in my mom's suburbs, not sure on distance or time. more than 3, less than 6. Best guess a bit more than 5 mi.
Beautiful moon, bright and pretty, and to the east, pink clouds lighting up at the sun rose.

@lee: Thought of your description of "mental anguish" from being on a track too long when I found myself winding around these cul-de-sacs aimlessly trying to find a way out. The houses and decorations were the same but not the same. Eery.
It was amazing how tired I suddenly became when I had no idea if there was anything but suburban curving roads going in various loops for all eternity, and how much energy I regained once I found a road out of the maze onto something that led back to my mom's. I would make a terrible lab rat.
It was like being on a treadmill, though I don't think I went down the same roads more than once or twice. It all just looked so the same. Like in the cartoons when the characters run past the same thing over and over.
I'm much more familiar with my mom's area, so I burned off another mile and change when I got back looping around her neighborhood, which is far less identically distributed, though less gentrified.

this morning: some amount of miles at dawn in my mom's suburbs, not sure on distance or time. more than 3, less than 6. Best guess a bit more than 5 mi.
Beautiful moon, bright and pretty, and to the east, pink clouds lighting up at the sun rose.

@lee: Thought of your description of "mental anguish" from being on a track too long when I found myself winding around these cul-de-sacs aimlessly trying to find a way out. The houses and decorations were the same but not the same. Eery.
It was amazing how tired I suddenly became when I had no idea if there was anything but suburban curving roads going in various loops for all eternity, and how much energy I regained once I found a road out of the maze onto something that led back to my mom's. I would make a terrible lab rat.
It was like being on a treadmill, though I don't think I went down the same roads more than once or twice. It all just looked so the same. Like in the cartoons when the characters run past the same thing over and over.
I'm much more familiar with my mom's area, so I burned off another mile and change when I got back looping around her neighborhood, which is far less identically distributed, though less gentrified.
Yah, it's funny how much of it is mental. On some of my routes, I pass through a lot of different urban habitats, which is a totally different feel from, say, a run along a river bike/pedestrian path several miles in length. In general, I prefer the latter, so my mind is free to wander along on its own separate journey, but the former can be very mentally stimulating in their own right.

I tend to avoid stop lights and traffic in any case.

I've never done the suburban cookie-cutter development run though. I would think my reaction would be similar to yours. The first-tier suburbs near my neighborhood are more post-WWII ranch-style houses, each apparently designed and built by a different construction firm, and the streets are mostly on a urban grid, so it's impossible to get lost.

Would be nice to see some pics of your routes . . .

Reactions: Go Barefoot
Ran my usual 9 mile loop this morning on the local bike trails. Intended on taking the camera to shoot a few picts to post here even though my routes are not too much for scenery. Tried to fasten my camera pouch to the thingamajiggy that goes around my waist to carry my car keys/tweezers/flashlight, etc when I run. Notice how I specifically avoided the word fanny pack. The thingamajiggy was not strong enough to carry the weight of the camera pouch so I began my run with the camera in my hands.

About 3 miles into my run I decided I was overdressed and removed my stocking cap and T shirt and dropped these items off when passing my truck after completing the first 3 mile out and back loop. Since it was quite cloudy I left the camera in the truck too. Will try it again on a more sunny day. Did take one photo looking north which leads back into town. Usually only run 3 miles total on this section in the form of a out and back loop and then head south where the trail leads out of town for several miles where I complete yet another out and back loop.

IMG_4464.JPG

On my way back through the park which I pass through on the second loop of the trail I stopped a minute to study the trail marker/mileage maps sign that was newly installed this spring. Since I have now been running complete sections of the trail that match up with the mileage points that are marked of in sections on the map I decided to total them up out of curiosity. Come to find out the 9 mile runs I thought I have been running lately totaled up to really be 9.48 miles. Apparently then todays run was about 9.5 miles.

Seems as though its that time of year where the temps vary so much from morning to evening that dressing for a run so that your not too hot or cold can be tricky at times.

when I found myself winding around these cul-de-sacs aimlessly trying to find a way out. The houses and decorations were the same but not the same. Eery.
I would much rather go in loops (like my 1 mile pond loop) than winding around through a neighborhood like that. I feel like I can't find a rhythm when it is chopped up like that.

Attachments

• serene 1 mile pond loop.jpg
    serene 1 mile pond loop.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 9
9 miles, pavement, in socks -6.2 of which was the Run Like Hell race- that I finished around 1:04ish. I was really in "the zone" at the end of that 9 miles and had to FORCE myself to stop -slooooow, but steady is really "my thang". So, afterward, Mikey and I walked back to where we were parked. He'd had a couple of beers, and he seemed to think he had to save ME, from being run over at every cross-walk, when, in reality, I had to save HIM! I am fairly sure that the people we were crossing in front of, did not find his freakish-limb-wielding antics, anywhere close to funny, though he got a good laugh at himself, so that's cool! :D Here's a couple photos of Helen (her and I ran/talked the whole race), and Mikey, after the race in his John Travolta-ish pants, tipsy and happy!

20131020_1010471.jpg1377278_10151928425164707_662997797_n.jpg

I would much rather go in loops (like my 1 mile pond loop) than winding around through a neighborhood like that. I feel like I can't find a rhythm when it is chopped up like that.

I like the native looking grass in your photo! Cool scenery! I sure prefer running in more natural settings than in the middle of town or heavy traffic areas. The natural settings are a great place for a relaxing run especially after a long work day.

Sunday afternoon
1 mi run-commute
Front ST.

Felt a twang in my left shoulder at max bench. So shut it down and did lighter stuff with dumbbells, and skipped the front dips as well. I had thought my left shoulder was good to go again, but I guess it doesn't take much to tweak it. I probably should've warmed up a bit more. I was only doing one set at each 50-lb increment pyramiding up. I usually do 2-3 sets at each increment until I reach max, and I often throw in a few 20-lb increments between 175 and 225, for good measure. Gotta keep doing that. Every once in a while I get over-confident and forget that middle-aged folks have to be ever-vigilant.

Monday morning
1 mi run-commute
28 F / -2.2 C
17 F / -8.3 C windchill

My feet felt fine today at 4am., no numbing whatsoever. (Now it's trying to snow!) I seem to be adapting to the cold already, after just a week of cold morning temps. Like some others have noted, each year it gets easier. This is my third winter of barefoot running. Last year I increased my cold tolerance by about 10 F / 5C degrees. I wonder if I'll do the same this winter.

I'm feeling ambivalent that the Winter Challenge appears to have been canceled this year. On the one hand, I need the WC in order to go through the trouble of scheduling qualifying runs, that is, of running more in the morning during autumn and spring, and seeking out dry surfaces in the winter. On the other hand, I know the challenge might make me do something foolish, like last year when I ran in fresh snow and got frost nip. I also ran several other times that were borderline, when my mets would stiffen up. I think this year I will put on some footwear at that point. The attraction of becoming a better runner is greater than becoming a more accomplished barefooter. It would be nice to continue to just go out and run and not think about moisture, windchill, plowing, and all the rest that goes into winter barefoot running.

Also, I've noted that my left foot lands flatter than my right foot, and I also tend to get more tendon soreness, caused by tight shin muscles, in my left foot than in my right foot after longer runs. I also got last year's mild MCL-sprain in my left knee. So lately on my run-commutes I've been trying to make my left foot land exactly like my right foot. I really hate thinking about technique while I'm running, but it might be worth the effort in the long run, so to speak. Basically, I want to get both feet to touch down with a slight forefoot landing.

Didn't run yesterday because my workout involved cutting, sometimes splitting, and hauling wood to finish off the pile for the winter and wood stove. Man, I burned through some carbs yesterday, actually had reduced my basal insulin shot by 10% but I still ended up consuming 6 gatorades or around 210 grams of carbohydrate without injecting any bolus insulin to cover the carbs, just blew through them all with all the walking, wheelbarrowing, and splitting. It's amazing how a fullbody workout like that can make a body burn glucose and carbohydrate.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do as the weather gets colder, although I'm looking to order at least couple pairs of wool toe socks that I could use with the Xeros. But I will try doing short runs barefoot and see how the feet handle it, but be very conservative about it. No sense in getting any frostbite down in the toes or feet, and I expect that my feet are still very young and new to this. Just want to be smart about it like I think I've managed to with the barefoot running so far.

But these feet are still a lot like a newborn's. I just want to build them into awesomeness with careful and rational steps forward and avoid things that could throw me violently backward.

d all the rest that goes into winter barefoot running.

Also, I've noted that my left foot lands flatter than my right foot, and I also tend to get more tendon soreness, caused by tight shin muscles, in my left foot than in my right foot after longer runs. I also got last year's mild MCL-sprain in my left knee. So lately on my run-commutes I've been trying to make my left foot land exactly like my right foot. I really hate thinking about technique while I'm running, but it might be worth the effort in the long run, so to speak. Basically, I want to get both feet to touch down with a slight forefoot landing.

Interesting.
I learning of the differences in my gait only when I began running barefoot. As a teen, I broke all the mets on my left foot, rather badly, and limped for over a year after than, but as an adult I had forgotten all about it.
After first beginning barefoot walking and running, the landing was distinctly different, and I could even feel a lack of sensation in certain areas that I could easily feel on my right side.
Now, though it has gotten much much better over the last couple of years, I know I still have the imbalance, and it must lead to issues, but like you, I worry over forcing an issue and giving myself more grief in other areas. I try to think about it without thinking too much, you know? Like I focus more on my posture up top and hope the legs follow, or go for an overall "feel" of smoothness without specifically thinking about how my feet are landing.
In any case, I too wonder whether to be more aggressive in trying to be more symmetric about the form.

Didn't run yesterday because my workout involved cutting, sometimes splitting, and hauling wood to finish off the pile for the winter and wood stove. Man, I burned through some carbs yesterday, actually had reduced my basal insulin shot by 10% but I still ended up consuming 6 gatorades or around 210 grams of carbohydrate without injecting any bolus insulin to cover the carbs, just blew through them all with all the walking, wheelbarrowing, and splitting. It's amazing how a fullbody workout like that can make a body burn glucose and carbohydrate.

I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to do as the weather gets colder, although I'm looking to order at least couple pairs of wool toe socks that I could use with the Xeros. But I will try doing short runs barefoot and see how the feet handle it, but be very conservative about it. No sense in getting any frostbite down in the toes or feet, and I expect that my feet are still very young and new to this. Just want to be smart about it like I think I've managed to with the barefoot running so far.

But these feet are still a lot like a newborn's. I just want to build them into awesomeness with careful and rational steps forward and avoid things that could throw me violently backward.

Thin toe socks with sandals were perfect for me down to the dry teens F, down to single digits and no wind on a couple of occasions.
Big fluffy wet snow storms I grabbed the soft stars.
I have had a lot of challenges going bf in colder weather, but keeping my feet off the cold pavement has really helped, as well as wearing sandals casually most places I go as long as I can, only covering my toes when I have to or really want to for comfort. I'm too a point where I HATE the feeling of my toes being covered and sweating.

morning: medium to heavy rain made me sleep in.
lunch: quick 35 min swim, loosened my back after a lot of driving this weekend.
evening: 6 mi on paved and gravel trails. The pavement is nice and I considered treating myself to fully bare and not in sandals for that, but it was covered in wet tree debris and ouchie berries of some kind, not my thing.
missed the mile markers and ended up doing 2 miles more than I originally intended, and had to hurry back to my car in the dark to try to get my kids from swim practice in time.

Exactly, they don't even go in proper loops. It feels like punishment. I always feel like that type of suburban planning is designed to keep out the poor folk like me by making me too disoriented and stressed after one encounter that I am afraid to return.

Someone's lawn sprinkler provided me with an ice-cold puddle. Yum. Gotta keep the grass green for as long as possible I guess.

Up to last week I was still hearing the chucku chucku chucku swooooooosh of some dude's sprinkler on the side of a steep hill where grass hardly grows anyways and where fall is in full swing. It freaked me out every time (at 5:30 am) and make me wonder every time *why oh why*

Reactions: Bare Lee
5km run with the work running group. It had been raining all day, so the wet pavement, small amount of gravel and a little bit of chipseal made for a bit of a rough run. I didn't realise they were going for a bit of a tempo run either, the guy at the front ramped the pace up to 4:30/km in the last km which I was handling OK, surprisingly. I rarely run at that pace for long. I also didn't know they were only doing 5km, so when they all came to a halt I almost felt like running further.

Finished off with a hamburger and a donut for lunch, so I think I've gone backwards.

Back from a saw paw, managed to mash it up pretty bad when it tried to follow the white rabbit down its hole, unfortunately the rest of me didn't fit and I tore stuff pretty bad. So I thought I'd just stay away until I healed up and do something else awesome instead.
Managed to put on a stone in weight (I tend to turn to chocolate in times of crisis) But I'm back now, unfit and starting over again, managed five miles today, hard work but I feel better for it.