Mileage Reporting 42nd week of 2012

Mileage report for the week:
Monday 10/15 6.04 miles, and it was painful. Soles very tender, making it even difficult to walk. Made the decision to back off a bit for the coming week, to let my body adapt.
Tuesday 10/16 32 miles on the spin bike and 20 min of krankcycle
Wednesday 10/17 35 min lap swim and a yoga class
Thurs 10/18 34 miles on the spin bike and 20 min of krankcycle
Fri 10/19 40 min lap swim
Saturday 6.17 miles of mixed, wet pavement (it actually rained during the night) Was really nervous about footing, since I hadn't run yet in rainy conditions. Not to worry, however: the wet made the pebbled pavement more comfortable. Downside: the smooth stuff was like polished ice, so I opted for wet chip-and-seal and to my amazement, it felt great. A bit cooler on my run this morning, which is always nice. I also just abandoned any attempt at maintaining a MAF hr -- my pace felt right, my cadence was good, the run was comfortable. For me, the true test is how I feel AFTER the run, as in, can I walk? I'm happy to report that right after the run, I did a pretty strenuous yoga class with nary a problem, so I consider the run an unqualified success.

So, my total running miles for the week are just about 12.25, down by about 25% over the previous week. But, the decision to consciously cut back a bit seemed to be a good one. My body felt fully recovered, and today's run felt like a breakthrough, as I made a couple of form adjustments that really clicked. I intend to increase the mileage back up a bit for the coming week, by adding in a third run again, and will see how it goes.

2 wintry miles today, like Bob said, it was cold and windy in the Peg this morning. Been a bit of slacker this week got my flu shot earlier this week and have been a little achy. I know Dama, being just a little bit of a pansy. On a side note though, I am running a 10k with our local barefooting legend tomorrow. I think you guys know him as Barefooting Bob, the guy who just blistered a half today. Looking forward to that run.

2 wintry miles today, like Bob said, it was cold and windy in the Peg this morning. Been a bit of slacker this week got my flu shot earlier this week and have been a little achy. I know Dama, being just a little bit of a pansy. On a side note though, I am running a 10k with our local barefooting legend tomorrow. I think you guys know him as Barefooting Bob, the guy who just blistered a half today. Looking forward to that run.

So am I , so am I.

Ran my first sub 2:00 hour half marathon this morning, rather killed it, I actually stabbed it with a fork. Finished in 1:54:16 with a nasty headwind for the last 2 miles. 3 degrees Celcius was the temp. I love running this time of the year, everybody was bundled up and here I was barefoot and running in a kilt.

EXCELLENT!
I had dreams of doing a sub 2hr marathon (I thought I was the only one.......with dreams so......pedestrian?....no, uh......normal maybe)
maybe next year (first half was hilly hilly and i wasn't ready w/ speed so it was 2:04, but it gives a goal for next year)

LOVE the looks from people bundled up like they are going to be frozen to death at any moment---it's like horror, mixed with concern, but something else, some disbelief that you are NOT bundled up, some inability to accept that bundling is not necessary to avoid certain freezing death.

some inability to accept that bundling is not necessary to avoid certain freezing death.
So much of it is in the head, no?

I'm warming up to the idea of half marathons more and more. It's a challenging distance, but wouldn't be a whole lot longer than what I should be capable of in 6-12 months if my knee stays better and I can get my running back on track. The full marathon would require special training, as well as really upping my intended mileage. Seems like one could do a decent half mary with weekly mileage in the 25 mpw range, right? Something like 6 mi., 6 mi., and 13 mi. on the weekend. Whadaya say Dama and Dutchie, wanna run a half next year instead of the full marathon at the Twin Cities marathon? Opps, here I am prematurely talking about racing again. Get ready for another TMTS injury.

btw Winning Pagans: Was over listening to some friends' latest music projects last night, and then fondly reminisced with two of them about our trip to the Winnipeg Folk Festival 12 years ago. Enjoy your frosty run. This time belongs to us Norse folk.

10 km Race this morning with Dutchie had a blast and a good run to boot. 2 km more after the race to cool down. 52:50 for me which is a offical race PB, not bad for finishing a Half Mary yesterday. Here is the evidence that we finished with our soles intact.

Dutchie and Bob 2.JPG

Bob beat me by 10 minutes, Saw him at the start and finish. :D Great run though. Funniest line I heard today though as I was passing some people was "Look another barefooter, there sure are a lot of them out today". Bob and I were the only ones out there without shoes. I started slow but had a better finish, 32 minutes at the turnabout and 30 minutes on the return for 62:25 10k.

Ok, ok Bare, I will copy it over for you, as soon as I figure out how too....;)

But seriously, my week starts on Monday, at least I think it does, might be my Canadian brain mixing things up again.

Reactions: NickW and Bare Lee
Funniest line I heard today though as I was passing some people was "Look another barefooter, there sure are a lot of them out today". Bob and I were the only ones out there without shoes.
That IS funny!

Reactions: dutchie53
OK, fine, I'll jump in:

Sunday: 5 mile hike (OK, actually, it was probably closer to a walk, but it was a recovery from the 10 mile hike done the day before)
Monday: 3.6 mile run
Tuesday: Off Day
Wednesday: 22 mile bicycle commute
Thursday: 22 mile bicycle commute
Friday: No cardio; 1/2 hour of bouldering and 1/2 hour of weights
Saturday: 4.25 mile run

OK, fine, I'll jump in:

Sunday: 5 mile hike (OK, actually, it was probably closer to a walk, but it was a recovery from the 10 mile hike done the day before)
Monday: 3.6 mile run
Tuesday: Off Day
Wednesday: 22 mile bicycle commute
Thursday: 22 mile bicycle commute
Friday: No cardio; 1/2 hour of bouldering and 1/2 hour of weights
Saturday: 4.25 mile run
Glad to have you aboard!
"Bouldering" as in MovNat weight-training? Please elaborate.

10 bare miles yesterday in honor of Nick's Bday!
It was a beautiful day!

2 wintry miles today, like Bob said, it was cold and windy in the Peg this morning. Been a bit of slacker this week got my flu shot earlier this week and have been a little achy. I know Dama, being just a little bit of a pansy. No surprise there! ;) quote]

Reactions: Bare Lee