Mileage Reporting 42nd Week 2013

Scratch

Barefooters
Jul 9, 2013
3.4 miles in the Xeros. Threw in 4x30s strides with 1.5 min recoveries. Legs could feel some the miles of the prior 2 days, but were still pretty good overall. Sunny but nicely cool and comfortable.

Ran 9.5 miles barefoot in the rain this afternoon as per Migangelos' suggestion. It was a great run despite getting dumped on by heavy rain. (and the unexpected lightening which scared the crap out of me) :eek: Before heading to the trails the NOAA weather site showed the next wave of rain clear down into Kansas so I figured I would head out for a run and miss the rain completely except for some sprinkles maybe.

The temperature was 52 degrees with a pretty strong wind. The rain came about 3 miles into my run and started out as a light rain. Running in the rain was actually really enjoyable. Stepping in the puddles and feeling the rain fall onto the tops of my feet and sides of my legs was relaxing. The last 2 miles of the journey the ran came as a heavy down pour and my old sweat shirt became soaked and felt like it gained about 10 pounds in weight. Checked my rain gauge before supper and it showed 1.3 inches.

Oh, and there may be no better way to clean the soles of your feet than to ran barefoot on wet concrete!

Oh, and there may be no better way to clean the soles of your feet than to ran barefoot on wet concrete!
True, but the other side effect is that you don't see stuff like glass shards :mad: Also for some reason I get the feeling that my soles are more sensitive on wet ground, probably because the skin gets softer ?

did 13.3km/8.3mi yesterday to start the week. The Vivobarefoot stayed home, as my feet are covered with blisters...that's the issue when you never wear shoes !!! :rolleyes: Also the weather was much nicer than Sunday, after a scorching 37C/99F, it cool down overnight and was only about 14C/57F when I left home...

When did week 42 happen? Lol! Oh my lord. So, I went on a 7 mile trail run this afternoon, partially with Mikey, who allowed me the pleasure of harassing him! :D It was supposed to be 8, but I will happily take 7 - whatever, close enough. What was hilarious, is that toward the end of it, I tripped on a root and actually fell to the ground. I "could" have probably stopped the fall, but I have trained myself well, not to resist the fall, but "go with it" -in order to prevent extra injury (surprisingly, that was only the 2nd time I have ever tripped enough to fall). As a result, it was a bit of a dramatic fall with extra rolling and with lots of giggling at the end, as I lay on my back, staring up at the trees. As I fell, I realized that my leg had rolled over the top of the PERFECT root upon which to rub my angry, gluteus muscles, so, I rolled over on top of the root, and began gyrating my butt into it. About this time, 3 "track dudes" who had passed us earlier - came running back toward us. I yelled out, "I'm alright, don't be alarmed! You can use me as a hurdle if you'd like!" And I rolled onto my side and held myself straight like a board, and all three of them leapt over me - and I heard one say, "Now THAT is alarming!" Lol! I inspected my toe and it looks like I just bruised the tip of it, possible jammed the end joint, slightly. It was a good run! :) I started out a little too fast, and almost over-exerted myself, but managed to reign it in. Then I went out and ate a hideous combination of food - tuna, bacon, avocado, pineapple, and jalapenos...lol. (I may have had a couple sips of someone's beer while he was in the bathroom...). :oops:

Sunday afternoon.
Front ST. Medium grade pump.

Monday morning.
One-mile run-commute

Monday afternoon.
7.6-mile run down to the river. A little chilly but fine for running. I wanted to do a shorter version of the same basic route I ran twice last week. So I tried the Washington Avenue Bridge option. This was a mistake. The bridge and the avenue past that cut through the UofM campus, and were swarming with student pedestrians, so I made something of a spectacle of myself dodging in and out of them. I pretended I was Adrian Petersen dodging tacklers. Next time I’ll either extend the run to the next bridge, which adds ¾ of mile and takes you through a nice little gravel section, or cut back to the river parkway as soon as I cross the Washington Avenue Bridge, which adds ¾ to 1.5 miles, depending on the route options you take after that.

Earlier in the run I tried a bit of trail running on the Minneapolis side. I had noticed the small trails leading off from the bike/pedestrian path along the West River Parkway, but I had thought they just lead down to the river. Turns out they parallel the parkway about halfway down to the river. So that was cool. Mostly compacted dirt trails, with a few easy rocky sections and some degraded asphalt near the trail heads.

Mississippi River.jpg

Mississippi River 5.jpg

In the middle of the run I ran pure tempo pace—around 8:30 mm—for a couple of miles. That felt refreshing after so much aerobic running recently. Will have to do that more often now as I return to more regular mezzo runs during the week.

End of afternoon: One-mile toddler push-trike with second half-mile 1st-grader seated-shoulder walk, à la HSB, while retrieving my daughter from Discovery Club.

Tuesday morning.
One-mile run-commute. Windchill 37F. Hey, first Winter Challenge mileage! Where’s YOW? The cool, wet pavement felt great.

i did 7.5 m last night. i decided i needed to run up and down some hills so i took a detour and gave my ears a break. watching jen fall was a bit funny as i saw her trip then leap up and roll to the ground in an exaggerated manner. my burger was decent and i had some beer missing from the bottle.

True, but the other side effect is that you don't see stuff like glass shards :mad: Also for some reason I get the feeling that my soles are more sensitive on wet ground, probably because the skin gets softer ?

I can see where fine glass shards would definately be harder to see. Last summer I spent more time running on wet pavement and always found that my soles would get more sensitive the longer I ran. Yesterday I didn't notice this and wondered if maybe its because I have done so much more running than last year that my soles are in much better condition to handle harsher surfaces.

Reactions: happysongbird
Ran 9.5 miles barefoot in the rain this afternoon as per Migangelos' suggestion. It was a great run despite getting dumped on by heavy rain. (and the unexpected lightening which scared the crap out of me) :eek: !
I spent many growing up years in the Portland Oregon region. Rain there is generally an non-event compared to rain in other places. The word "storm" was usually not necessary. It was just the sky constantly perspiring. :) Don't get hit by lightening!

As a result, it was a bit of a dramatic fall with extra rolling and with lots of giggling at the end, as I lay on my back, staring up at the trees. As I fell, I realized that my leg had rolled over the top of the PERFECT root upon which to rub my angry, gluteus muscles, so, I rolled over on top of the root, and began gyrating my butt into it. About this time, 3 "track dudes" who had passed us earlier - came running back toward us. I yelled out, "I'm alright, don't be alarmed! You can use me as a hurdle if you'd like!" And I rolled onto my side and held myself straight like a board, and all three of them leapt over me - and I heard one say, "Now THAT is alarming!"
I do wish there was a video of all this... re-enactment? :D

3.95 miles of intervals today at avg 10:15 pace, despite 5 minutes of walking per the apps instructions. Warmer day today so am a hot sweaty mess now. Can't wait for it to get cooler again. Pretty impressed with myself for the sprints and general running pace during the run although I ran mostly out of steam right as the cool down began.

Also a short run yesterday of 1 mile, just to keep the joints loose. Decided to wear my KIGO's as I'll probably be in them for the winter in about 3 weeks. Discovered that I will have to transition to shoes again. It felt really awkward to run in min shoes again. Today 2 miles STG, last weeks reduced mileage seemed to work as my foot stiffness is starting to be less noticeable. Yesterdays run was -1 C and today's was +4 C. We've been running in winter challenge conditions for almost a month already out here in the Peg.

Great 4 mile run at 4:45 am., 73 deg., 89%rh...first run of week 9 of training. Saw a few rabbits. had fun!

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wleffert-test

Latest posts