Mileage Reporting 40th week 2013

Relatively slow 6.5km run/walk with my wife this morning. I'm still recovering from doing a bit TMTS this past Wednesday. Felt good enough to day to kick it up a small hill in Prospect Park, though I kept the vffs on the whole time today. I convinced Kara to run a short stretch barefoot to help her to analyze her form (she had been complaining of "clomping" and ankle pain); I noticed that she was running lighter (and quieter) while barefoot. She mentioned that she'd be open to trying it again sometime.

Great run at 6:00am., 77 deg., 74% rh.. All new territory today. Started off with almost 10 miles to get to the Barefoot Run 5K. benefiting Buckner who does shoes for orphan soles (I don't know if this seems a little ironic but it was fun and I hope it helps kids).. I saw quite a few barefoot runners, ducks, and other water fowl. Met up with owl run for this one (cool). This will be my last run for this week (only 3 days). Total miles week 7 of training 26.

maf test today. 3 miles on the track. won't know if i'mm faster or not until i can check my garmin sit later. on a good note i worked out some nasty trigger points in my ankle and felt great. of course i ran right after and they came back. at least now i know wheere they are and can work them out quick again.

damn silicone keyboard on this ipad isn't easy to write with.

i bought some adidas running shorts siince i got an employee pass. half price so i picked oout the last two that were quite short with slits up the leg. they are comfy.guys if you don't have running shorts, get some.big difference.

Hubby and our friends wanted to go see Gravity as a matinee this afternoon which ended up for me like sending a shell shocked soldier to watch intense battle scenes fo a couple of hours. I am currently on the spin bike to attempt to decompress, while verbally supporting wonderful daughter who is making dinner tonight. I think if I tried to run I would hurt myself.

Sunday morning long run, 13.5km on the beach. I'm still in this happy period where each long run is the longest barefoot run I've done, and the longest run of any kind I've done since I was about 14. Better still, my little running spreadsheet tells me that today my total barefoot distance for the year passed my shod distance, which is a cool little meaningless milestone for me.

maf test today. 3 miles on the track. won't know if i'mm faster or not until i can check my garmin sit later. on a good note i worked out some nasty trigger points in my ankle and felt great. of course i ran right after and they came back. at least now i know wheere they are and can work them out quick again.

damn silicone keyboard on this ipad isn't easy to write with.

i bought some adidas running shorts siince i got an employee pass. half price so i picked oout the last two that were quite short with slits up the leg. they are comfy.guys if you don't have running shorts, get some.big difference.
It's about time you graduated to running shorts. I have some Nike ones that I love. I get less chaffage with them than I do with some Champion running shorts I have.

Ya, Mike, now you can EASILY flash everyone your thigh muscles, in our event photos -like Nick does! ;)

Friday my wife woke up with a sore neck, so I ran back to drive the kids to school and daycare, then ran back to work, then ran back home at the end of the day for my "top" (delts, traps, tri's & forearm) workout. So four miles run-commuting. I can't figure out if these micro runs are annoying or beneficial, both, or neither.

Just as I was getting ready to pump, my wife and son came home from a blood test. My son's hemoglobin had been a bit low, so he's been taking iron supplements. Gives him a very black stool. It became impossible to work out, as both parties seemed eager for my company. So I showered, had a Rampant IPA, and we all left to pick up our daughter at Discovery Club.

Saturday morning, woke up at 2am, which is getting to be my regular wake up time, instead of 4am or so. Annoying. So I decided to make up my "Top" workout, after eating a banana, a protein bar, and making some coffee in my stovetop Moka Man. The night before I had eaten a ribeye with almost a whole bottle of Petite Sirah, and nothing else, so I woke up hungry.

It's kind of surreal to pump iron in the wee hours of the morning. Just as surreal as running at that time of day I suppose, except the lighting's the same in the garage so I didn't think it would feel so different. I only managed medium effort, and thought about quitting several times in the middle of it. Then thought about going out for my long run, but watched half a football game on Tivo with two more Rampants instead--a rare treat to watch a game without any distractions, and I love being able to fastforward the commercials. Then I chatted with my wife and slept another few hours. A strange sequence of events.

Later, I ended up blowing off my long run again. I feel a little guilty. I think I've become a little too obsessed with maintaining my workout routine, so some enforced rest is probably good. Still, I was on the verge of having a perfect workout week--four solid st sessions and 38 miles running. Oh well, wasn't meant to be. Ended up with three high effort st workouts, one medium, and 25 miles running.

One-mile run-commute this morning. 42F so just missed the Winter Challenge cut-off. The cool surface felt fantastic. Bring it on Mother Nature. Now wondering whether to get in a long run this afternoon or crank up another regular workout week starting with "front" st workout. Decisions, decisions.

It's about time you graduated to running shorts. I have some Nike ones that I love. I get less chaffage with them than I do with some Champion running shorts I have.
I used to be committed to the low-tech aesthetic, but over the last year, largely due to my participation on this site, I've been converted to a high-tech approach. I got the Brooks Rogue 3 or something like that. Great shorts, so comfy, almost like running naked (although I got the longest inseam). And I love my Merino wool t-shirts. They never stink! I don't think I'll be using my stinky plastic base-layer shirts this winter. I'm going with 100% Merino wool layers.

Tough tough hike yesterday. Pretty much always up or down and the slopes were pretty steep. The downhills murdered my quads, they're still barking at me today whenever I have to go downwards, like walking down a slope, or going down steps, or sitting in a chair. I did around 4.5 miles barefoot before putting on the Xeros to help me keep pace with the regular hikers in shoes on the downhills. I truly find downhill hiking in bare feet the biggest challenge, both physically and psychologically from the demands of scanning and picking out where to put the next step. Other than that though, I felt rather pleased at how well I moved across the rocky terrain, feet are so much tougher and stronger than 4 months ago. They can still get tougher and stronger, but the others in the group were amazed some at how I was walking over some of the areas.

Also warm and humid yesterday, sweated buckets. Then after the hike, while resting at an overlook area, I got to enjoy a stinkbug swarm. I must have smelled horrible before I got in the shower last evening.

Hopefully my quads will be recovered enough that I can run tomorrow.

15.75 miles today. I would have ran 16 if I had known I was that close but I paused MapMyRun at mile 5ish and it saved it so I wasn't sure where I was so when I got near my car I stopped. Ran part of the course for the half I have coming up in a couple of weeks and the hills are totally doable. Now I'm HUNGRY.

And I love my Merino wool t-shirts. They never stink! I don't think I'll be using my stinky plastic base-layer shirts this winter. I'm going with 100% Merino wool layers.

I really like the Merino socks for winter and have about had it with the regular tech shirts...thinking about trying a Merino shirt...I've heard they are good even in the summer.

I really like the Merino socks for winter and have about had it with the regular tech shirts...thinking about trying a Merino shirt...I've heard they are good even in the summer.
I find I can't run in Merino clothing above about 0C - I tried once at about 15C and after 15 minutes I would have sworn I was being followed by a herd of sheep!

Below freezing the stuff is great. I rarely need to wear a jacket on runs down to -10 or -12C.

Icebreaker does have some 120 gsm shirts coming out for the Spring. I think it's an 80/20 merino/nylon blend. It will be interesting to see how that performs.

above 0C requires shirtlessness. :cool:

that Orton training provoked my asthma. i was starting to wease just walking around so i stopped. too much for fast running for this old man.

today was just about a mile walk with the dogs to let them play at the park. school starts tomorrow so i may go watch "Gravity" and just relax.

One of the people in the group I hiked with yesterday took a pretty good shot of me going up the rock-strewn path. Much of yesterday's hike was up and down slopes like it.

aWgxDf8.jpg

n. I feel a little guilty. I think I've become a little too obsessed with maintaining my workout routine, so some enforced rest is probably good. Still, I was on the verge of having a perfect workout week--four solid st sessions and 38 miles running. Oh well, wasn't meant to be. Ended up with three high effort st workouts, one medium, and 25 miles running.

I used to be committed to the low-tech aesthetic, but over the last year, largely due to my participation on this site, I've been converted to a high-tech approach. I got the Brooks Rogue 3 or something like that. Great shorts, so comfy, almost like running naked (although I got the longest inseam). And I love my Merino wool t-shirts. They never stink! I don't think I'll be using my stinky plastic base-layer shirts this winter. I'm going with 100% Merino wool layers.

1. YOU? Obsessive?! Impossible to conceive of such a thing.

2. I've become a hybrid for running gear. On the one hand, I get these $2-4 tanks from target that get soppy wet but who cares for summer running. I wear these silly running shorts that are hand me downs from a friend who used to take his running way seriously. Not my deal, but free will do.
On the other hand, I love my fancy-pants running tights and leg sleeves and vest and what not when it gets cold. If it gets cold (yes, I'm still in denial)