Mileage Reporting 40th week 2013

Tuesday evening - 2.75 miles with hubby. He talked the whole time, which is a rare treat. Then he had to get to a phone for a conference call, so we came home. oh, and in the afternoon, ladder repeats while I cleaned the gutters.

Wed - 70 minutes on spim bike, a number of stair repeats in the hospital environment, a couple hours of tomato picking yoga.

Thursday - hospital duty ended up on a very extended schedule, then the wind was blowing so hard that it was knocking my Suburban around on the freeway. sigh. I had really been trying to get to a run, but I contacted hubby and he was up for the spin bikes when he got home from work, so I did that in the safety of the basement for 70 minutes again. Am really hoping for a run tomorrow. But the priority is to go to the NICU in the morning and have our first time holding the new grandbaby. Her mom and dad got to hold her for the first time today. :)

7.2km/4.5mi lunch break run today. Lovely sunny day, but not too hot. Decided to try out the 'park' section of my upcoming fun run, because I know from driving through there that the road is pretty rough. The verdict - nasty. It's all rough 'chip seal', not much fun to run over. Three out of the last four km of the 12km run will be on this section, so I'm going to have to look after myself on the early stages to make sure I don't bomb on the hard stuff. I did a bit of tip-toeing around today, but was surprised to see that I didn't really lose much time-wise.

Running through a city is a little different to what I'm used to - got quite a few stares for my bare feet (not to mention the random multi-coloured nail polish job that little miss four attacked me with last week), some of them almost hostile, which surprised me a little. Towards the end a good runner who had been chasing me through the park caught up and asked how long I'd been going barefoot for, then slowed down for a quick chat for a little bit before taking off again.

I finished up on some smoother pavement feeling a little better, but my feet have that burn you tend to get after a rough run. Nothing nasty that I can see though, just feeling a little bit scuffed and bruisey on the bottom. I'll give them a rest and play golf tomorrow.

Thursday afternoon
8.39 mi / 13.5 km
63 F / 17 C

Took the long way home.

13.10.03 8.39 mi Pelham-River Rd-NP Bridge-Busway.jpg

The rain broke an hour or two before my run, leaving me with pleasant, somewhat blustery weather. Perfect for a run down to the Mississippi River. Once there, I saw big signs warning that the road would be closed for the Twin Cities Marathon on Sunday. Sigh. I've run over most of the route now, just need to do one of my planned 17-milers, which goes by Minneapolis's lakes and Minnehaha Boulevard, and I'll be acquainted with the whole thing. If my running fitness continues to improve, I might have to consider running the marathon next year, if my wife will let me.

Anyway, I jumped over to West River Road on Marshall Avenue Bridge, enjoying the bridge-view of nascent fall colors along both banks, ran down to the river bank after Franklin Bridge, where noisy x-country skiers from the U were practicing their ascents, then back up to a pedestrian/bike bridge on the bluff that used to be a railroad bridge, to cross back over to East River Road, then things got interesting.

Sometime before, my gut had started rumbling. I think maybe it was the pumpkin seeds I bought at a co-op close to my office. They seemed kind of soft and off. Or maybe I ate my smoothie too close to launch time. In any case, I wasn't sure I was going to make it home. Lots of gas-letting relieved the pressure but there were hints of something more drastic coming down the pike. I thought about using the public restrooms in a park area by the river, but as usual, I was running a little late and I hate to leave my toddling son waiting much past 5pm at daycare, during the herd-culling hour. I think the kids get a little anxious as they see their playmates get picked off one by one by their parents.

Anyway, decided to chance it but took a shorter route home, leaving the River Road (intended route in yellow) and making as close to a beeline as I could for the busway that cuts across the railroad tracks and freeway that form a border between my neighborhood and Minneapolis and the river area. With all the diagonal streets though, I only ended up shaving off about a half-mile from my intended route.

In any case, I made it back no problem; my gut settled down a bit for the last couple of miles.

I was running sub-10 mm aerobic pace for most of the way, not bad for me on such a hilly route. It seems like the 8-mile distance is becoming my new mezzo distance, just as the 6-mile distance replaced the 4-mile mezzo distance sometime earlier this year. No post-run achiness in my feet, so hopefully that's done with.

Did some toddler lifts and presses later, as HappySongBird might say.

Friday morning
Woke up at 2:25 am, completely refreshed. Just five hours' sleep to recover from a decent run. Running fitness continues to improve I guess, although speed continues to lag. I may just have to accept that I'm a slow old guy. I don't feel plodding anymore, so it doesn't really matter I suppose.

One-mile run-commute to office in dark, wet landscape again. Sitting here now with my espresso, thinking about longrun route possibilities for tomorrow.

I finished up on some smoother pavement feeling a little better, but my feet have that burn you tend to get after a rough run. Nothing nasty that I can see though, just feeling a little bit scuffed and bruisey on the bottom. I'll give them a rest and play golf tomorrow.
I used to seek out rougher surfaces, which around here means mostly mild chipseal, and a few places with gravel. Nowadays I really don't mind being a wuss and running on mostly smooth to almost smooth surfaces. Yesterday's run has a one-mile section of mild-chip seal, which was fine, and an optional 1/2 mile section of gravel, which I avoided because of the rain, but I think the secret to really rough surfaces like you describe is to run them all the time. What seems hardest is to go back and forth between smooth and rough, at least for me. Just as it would be hard to alternate between cold and warm, but once I'm into winter running, I can take cold surfaces just fine.
They finally posted pictures from the 5K that I ran in back on Sunday. You know, the most remarkable thing about that photo is not me standing there in bare feet. It's the smile I've got. Happiness has been a rather elusive feeling in my life thanks to emotional predisposition and other factors that keep me more on the somber sided viewpoint. But Sunday morning was a good one. I had felt alive and light, I felt good about a large variety of decisions that I've made which led me to where I there stood. I couldn't help smiling right then.
That's a great smile! That's what it's all about.

Thursday - hospital duty ended up on a very extended schedule, then the wind was blowing so hard that it was knocking my Suburban around on the freeway. sigh. I had really been trying to get to a run, but I contacted hubby and he was up for the spin bikes when he got home from work, so I did that in the safety of the basement for 70 minutes again. Am really hoping for a run tomorrow. But the priority is to go to the NICU in the morning and have our first time holding the new grandbaby. Her mom and dad got to hold her for the first time today. :)
Great to hear the surgery went well!

Got some more dream mileage in last night. Dreamed that I was running a marathon in bare feet. There was some sort of problem with the course and its mapping and the course volunteers directions, because when I finished and saw that I had run it in 3:26:50, I knew that the course had to be way short. So I tried to find the course map and figure out where I had missed some section of the course, so I could go back and run it. Unfortunately, the direct route to get to that section meant I had to run over sharp and nasty gravel. So later on I found the race director and started yelling at him.

I looked through the pictures from the 5K race on Sunday and did find one of me running, but Iam in the background and you can't really see my feet clearly.

https://picasaweb.google.com/yophotoguy/Inaugural5kForGray#5930316007865569618

You can see my gray shirt between the blue shirt and black shirt of a father and son running together.

Also, this next picture is of the kid I passed in the final stretch and who finished about 2 seconds behind me.

https://picasaweb.google.com/yophotoguy/Inaugural5kForGray#5930316356180460466

Damn, so close to having barefoot running picture of me taken. Oh well, it'll happen eventually I'm sure.

Rick W, was it this thread you said you're wearing conventional shoes?? :eek:. as far as the pain behind the knee you should get that book i keep talking about. "the trigger point self therapy manual" by Clare Davies. it will help you faster than i can.

For longer trail runs, yes. I'll get that book. Your calf trigger points worked great for a successful H2C.

Knee is feeling better, it just kneeded a break.

Wednesday 3.5 miles walk/easy running. Saw 3 coyotes out getting their breakfast in my fields. They have a safe haven on my fields if I can keep the other farmers from blasting them from the highway.

Today 5 miles easy running. Cold weather run with a starting temp. of 32F. Toes were slightly uncomfortable for about 1 mile into the wind, but then warmed up nicely. One of our fields borders a back county road where I saw a truck slowly driving along. Thought my pet coyotes might be in trouble and I wondered what the truck was doing. As I approached I saw that he was running his 2 dogs while he sat comfortably in his warm truck driving along. Then he yelled at my dogs when they approached his dogs and started barking at him. Oh I wish I had something smart ass to say, but I just called off my dogs and shook my head at his laziness.

Damn, so close to having barefoot running picture of me taken. Oh well, it'll happen eventually I'm sure.
This seems to happen to me too. For all the races I have done, I really havent got a good photo yet. Most of them dont even take photos. The bigger ones do, like the cap city that I've done 4 or 5 times now, and plenty of good pics while I was shod. They have like 5 or 6 cameras at different angles, and a couple that sweep back and forth constantly. I was really hoping to get some good ones this year, especially being the first time I did the half marathon (I had only ever done the 5k before) and being barefoot. I was all excited, willing to pay the big bucks to get one, and remembered to smile at the end and look good... well it was a different company doing it this year and I dont think there setup was as good. Not only did they not have me crossing the line from 3 or 4 angles like the previous year, but in my supposed pictures I was not in ANY of them! I dont know if their indexing was based of time or what, but I had a dozen pictures that came up as mine, but I wasnt in any of them. They got me in just one photo that was mid race, and one after the finish line, both were terrible shots. I tried searching for other peoples bib numbers that finished around the same time but eventually gave up. I also looked through the un-categorized ones but there were too many. Really hoping to finally get a pic at the marathon... but worried I wont look so great at the end lol!

Reactions: Barefoot Dama
5.5 mile easy trail run at Harbins park...no watch... mostly felt like one long warmup to just get the legs stretched out, they were slightly sore but that's gone for right now.

Next week I'm going start up strength training every week...hopefully I can stick to it this time.

Today 5 miles easy running. Cold weather run with a starting temp. of 32F. Toes were slightly uncomfortable for about 1 mile into the wind, but then warmed up nicely.

Its getting to be that time a year again isnt it. I'm enjoying summer as much as I can, its lingered for quite a while this year, we're still in the 80's the last few days. Cooldown starts early next week though, and I need to start running in the morning to get my feet used to the cold... already signed up for two races this fall that could be potentially around my coldest temp threshold - Marathon is the 20th (average starting temp is 44 so hope its not unseasonably cold this time) and the Flying Feather on turkey day. I dont think I've run in anything under the 60's yet.

8.5 cleansing comfortable aerobic miles. Hubby and daughter came along and ran circles around me, but I did not succumb to social pressure and just enjoyed my run. Beautiful 51°F and sunny. Good variations in asphalt. All dogs behind fences. Saw one dead mole right on the path. Large hawk circling in a different area. Wanted to send it a message that I knew where it could find an easy lunch!

1.6 miles, Xeros, temp of 83 degrees and humid, I'd like some of that cool fall weather, please. Just did that short distance and was sweating buckets by the end.

Support Your Club

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barefoot RPS

Latest posts